Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Big Four Bridge

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm

I became fascinated with this old derelict railroad bridge, back in the mid-seventies, when my dad told me an idea that was being floated around about turning it into a pedestrian crossing. Now, finally, it's open! I'll be going up there with my mom this weekend.

I think this will be one of the coolest places to walk/bike.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Big Four Bridge

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

I thought the Hoosier side was still closed, but they were still going to let people up there to mill about. Is that still the plan?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:19 am

RonnieD wrote:I thought the Hoosier side was still closed, but they were still going to let people up there to mill about. Is that still the plan?

Correct! To be honest, after going up and hanging out yesterday, I realize that's pretty reasonable. Opening the far end will make it a legitimate commuting alternative for bikers, but really, that's not what it's all about. Think of it as a great promenade for strolling, power walking, hanging out ... an extension of the Riverfront parks that gives a cool environment and great views. That's plenty! It doesn't have to go anyplace. If I could walk over and go down on the other side to Jeff, that's okay, I guess, but really, if I want to go eat or shop in Jeff, I'll probably drive anyway. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:34 am

I think it is a great space. Probably will enjoy it in Spring and Fall.

Two things I have seen/noticed: No Trash Cans in any photos I have seen. No signs suggesting that dog walkers have bags to pick up messes from the dog.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 am

We are pretty excited about it too. And we are responsible dog people who always take bags when we go!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:17 am

I think this is a terrific asset for our waterfront area. Kudos to the Development Corp. for getting it funded (finally!).
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:21 am

RichardM wrote:Two things I have seen/noticed: No Trash Cans in any photos I have seen. No signs suggesting that dog walkers have bags to pick up messes from the dog.

Nobody asked but here's my prediction: By the end of the month, dogs will be banned on the Big 4 Bridge.

It's been open two days and people are already complaining because pet owners are not picking up after their dogs, which is going to ruin it for all pet owners in no time flat.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 3302080089

If you can't/won't pick up after your pets, LEAVE THEM AT HOME!

Also, poop bag dispensers are available at your local Dollar Tree for $1. No excuses.

(Stepping off my soapbox.)
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:17 am

Lois Mauk wrote:It's been open two days and people are already complaining because pet owners are not picking up after their dogs, which is going to ruin it for all pet owners in no time flat.

Yeah, I almost stepped in a giant mound on Day One. :( And pickup is going to be a problem, because it's not like grass. That grainy concrete base would just about have to be scrubbed.

I certainly don't blame the dogs, but you're right, Lois, at least the owners ought to try, and not just leave it and move on.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm

There is no excuse save for sloth. We are always packing bags when we take our dog anywhere that is not our backyard. Heck we pick up in our own front yard because who wants to go along the sidewalk and see that?

Sigh.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

We've travelled in at least 25 States with our Greyhounds. I depend on my Bags on Board dispensers so I always have bags handy.

I was picking up after them once in Tennessee and a woman was SHOCKED by that. She said what I was doing was "disgusting". I was simply flabbergasted by her reaction. It's just what responsible pet owners do!
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Made the walk with one of my 4 year olds and we had a great time. Terrific views, people were great. Seeing all the different breeds of dogs was cool too. My favorite was the family walking a giant Mastiff and an eeteee tiny chihuahua . I do hope the dog owners act responsibly because seeing all the pups were half the fun for us.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Carla G wrote: I do hope the dog owners act responsibly because seeing all the pups were half the fun for us.

Apparently "responsible" is just not the case...

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... ck_check=1

Interestingly, and completely separate from this thread, I've been party to at least three or four different conversations since this bridge opened and each and every time the other party mentioned how common (and disgusting) it is/was to have to dodge all the dog crap....So I'm getting the vibe that this -must- be a big problem.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:23 pm

I just don't get this. Who are these people?

If you choose to live in a city and you choose to have a dog, then part of the agreement is that you pack bags when you go out with the dog to clean up after your mess. I have bags in my car and bags by the door to the house so that I am always prepared. The few times I've been out and ran out of bags, I have returned to the scene of the crime as quickly as possible once I've acquired more or an acceptable substitute.

I don't get it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:50 pm

RonnieD wrote:I don't get it.

One issue that I saw on my first visit is that the bridge flooring is made out of a hard but textured surface - concrete, I guess. No patches of grass, and the texture is going to hold a fair amount of ... substance ... no matter how hard the owner tries to scrape it up. A plastic bag might not be the best implement for this, either.

I would guess that the bridge designers were totally oblivious and didn't even think about the possibility that people would be taking dogs on this mile-long walk. :cry:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Good point Robin. I had not considered that. Nunzio prefers to go in the grass anyway, so he probably wouldn't even try on a surface like that, but I can definitely see the problem.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Next