Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Getting Monthly Offlines Going Again

by Bill Veneman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Well, friends, we did it once, and it fell by the wayside....so let's try it again.

Some time ago, I started organizing a group of "Hotbyters" to do "Meet & Eats" (it was on the 2nd Tuesday of the month)...and I say we need to get this going again.

I have already talked with Fernando & Christina Marteniz about doing their new digs (Mussel & Burger Bar) once they are comfortable with us coming en mass. However, in talking with some of my fellow foodies, there are LOTS of places we've yet to try as a group.

OK, for those who are unfamiliar with our "Offlines"....here are the high points:

1) Once a month, we gather at an agree establishment (announced and planned of course) for an evening of friendship, fun and most of all, FOOD!

2) We announce that it's time again to plan, and we all toss ideas around, then I tally votes and the choice is made by popular ideas.

3) In the past, the duties of "Host" was rotated, and that entails making the necessary arrangements with the establishment.

4) We go and have fun, and write up our own take on the evening.

Now, since it's been some time since with done this, let's start off with:

SCHEDULE CHECKS
Please let us know what evenings work best for you (I'm pretty open, but I do have a Hotbyter chef in residence, so if we could do a dark evening it would make him happy (Sunday or Monday), but not a must)

LIST OF POSSIBILITIES
Mussel & Burger Bar (as mentioned above)
Jade Palace (Per Melissa Richardson-Persons suggestion---however, she suggested going for the Dim Sum cart, which is weekend only)

I must admit that I've basically lost all my notes from the last round since I have changed computers, hence lost some of my mind :oops: :oops: , so please let me know of your interest and I will get a mailing list together for us to get things going again.

Any takers :?: :?:
Last edited by Bill Veneman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Getting Montly Offlines Going Again

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Bill, I didn't recall that we did them monthly, but getting together for a meal is always fun! Thanks for dreaming this up.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 am

Rather than rebuilding the wheel every month why not put together a list of maybe 4 restaurants at a time and set the dates with the restaurants. That way it may be easier for some folks to plan ahead. I'd say do 6 months at a time but some new place may spring up in the interim that everyone would want to try. A 4 month stretch would give even a new place time to get their footing, have that initial rush of biz that a new place often gets and be looking for a fresh rush of word of mouth to help their biz. That way it's a positive thing for everyone. And I agree that most restaurants would rather see a group like ours on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 am

Carla G wrote:Rather than rebuilding the wheel every month ,,,,,,,,, And I agree that most restaurants would rather see a group like ours on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

Well, duh.....Carla, why didn't I think of that????? Great idea!!!!!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am

I've been away from Louisvillehotbytes for a while and its offline meets. I'm anxious to resume both...
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Love that idea, Carla!
Bill, can you add me to any list you are creating?

Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

by Carla G » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.

I readily second that mortion!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Count me and Hubby in too now that all the illness has eased up....I am already planning a date night out tomorrow night , we need a break!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 am

Carla G wrote:After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.

They have enough room to feed an army! The downstairs is enormous- of course the lack of tables down there would make eating an adventure.
I'd love to be included.
Restaurants LOVE Monday diners- always a rough day int the biz.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Getting Monthly Offlines Going Again

by Margie L » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am

Count me in!
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 am

It appears there is enough interest to warrant a meet/meal within the next few weeks. Anyone want to pull the trigger and provide a date? During the week? Weekend?
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Kyle L wrote:It appears there is enough interest to warrant a meet/meal within the next few weeks. Anyone want to pull the trigger and provide a date? During the week? Weekend?

Wrapping my right forefinger around the cold steel of the trigger.

March 26 or 27, 2013

Amici
316 W. Ormsby

Great Italian food.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Sounds great, Richard! You may want to move to earlier in the week, though- I believe we were aiming for Sun/Monday.

Bill- Unfortunately I can't attend- I will be in Pittsburgh.
Deb
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

If we did a Sunday Brunch, we could do Dim Sum at Jade Palace....just sayin' :wink:

Either way, I'd be "in" on MOST Mondays, except when I'm traveling on business....
Next