Home | List of Restaurants | Restaurant Sites | About Us | Contact Us

Louisville Restaurants Forum

Skip to content

Getting Monthly Offlines Going Again

Welcome to the interactive Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Getting Monthly Offlines Going Again

Postby Bill Veneman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:09 pm

Well, friends, we did it once, and it fell by the wayside....so let's try it again.

Some time ago, I started organizing a group of "Hotbyters" to do "Meet & Eats" (it was on the 2nd Tuesday of the month)...and I say we need to get this going again.

I have already talked with Fernando & Christina Marteniz about doing their new digs (Mussel & Burger Bar) once they are comfortable with us coming en mass. However, in talking with some of my fellow foodies, there are LOTS of places we've yet to try as a group.

OK, for those who are unfamiliar with our "Offlines"....here are the high points:

1) Once a month, we gather at an agree establishment (announced and planned of course) for an evening of friendship, fun and most of all, FOOD!

2) We announce that it's time again to plan, and we all toss ideas around, then I tally votes and the choice is made by popular ideas.

3) In the past, the duties of "Host" was rotated, and that entails making the necessary arrangements with the establishment.

4) We go and have fun, and write up our own take on the evening.

Now, since it's been some time since with done this, let's start off with:

SCHEDULE CHECKS
Please let us know what evenings work best for you (I'm pretty open, but I do have a Hotbyter chef in residence, so if we could do a dark evening it would make him happy (Sunday or Monday), but not a must)

LIST OF POSSIBILITIES
Mussel & Burger Bar (as mentioned above)
Jade Palace (Per Melissa Richardson-Persons suggestion---however, she suggested going for the Dim Sum cart, which is weekend only)

I must admit that I've basically lost all my notes from the last round since I have changed computers, hence lost some of my mind :oops: :oops: , so please let me know of your interest and I will get a mailing list together for us to get things going again.

Any takers :?: :?:
Last edited by Bill Veneman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Bill Veneman
Foodie

Location: Downtown by Weekday, Middletown/Lyndon most other times

Re: Getting Montly Offlines Going Again

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Bill, I didn't recall that we did them monthly, but getting together for a meal is always fun! Thanks for dreaming this up.
Robin Garr
Forum host

Postby Carla G » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:37 am

Rather than rebuilding the wheel every month why not put together a list of maybe 4 restaurants at a time and set the dates with the restaurants. That way it may be easier for some folks to plan ahead. I'd say do 6 months at a time but some new place may spring up in the interim that everyone would want to try. A 4 month stretch would give even a new place time to get their footing, have that initial rush of biz that a new place often gets and be looking for a fresh rush of word of mouth to help their biz. That way it's a positive thing for everyone. And I agree that most restaurants would rather see a group like ours on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Carla G
Foodie

Postby Bill Veneman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 am

Carla G wrote:Rather than rebuilding the wheel every month ,,,,,,,,, And I agree that most restaurants would rather see a group like ours on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

Well, duh.....Carla, why didn't I think of that????? Great idea!!!!!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Bill Veneman
Foodie

Location: Downtown by Weekday, Middletown/Lyndon most other times

Postby Kyle L » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am

I've been away from Louisvillehotbytes for a while and its offline meets. I'm anxious to resume both...
“There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people… Religion, Politics, and The Great Pumpkin.”
~Linus Van Pelt
Kyle L
Foodie

Postby Deb Hall » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Love that idea, Carla!
Bill, can you add me to any list you are creating?

Deb
Deb Hall
Foodie

Postby Carla G » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Carla G
Foodie

Postby Gayle DeM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

by Carla G » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.

I readily second that mortion!
Gayle DeM
Foodie

Postby BevP » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Count me and Hubby in too now that all the illness has eased up....I am already planning a date night out tomorrow night , we need a break!
BevP
Foodie

Postby GaryF » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 am

Carla G wrote:After our great meal last night I would suggest Mussels and Burger Bar. They alo have large enough rooms to accommodate a LHB crew.

They have enough room to feed an army! The downstairs is enormous- of course the lack of tables down there would make eating an adventure.
I'd love to be included.
Restaurants LOVE Monday diners- always a rough day int the biz.
GaryF
Foodie

Re: Getting Monthly Offlines Going Again

Postby Margie L » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 am

Count me in!
Margie L
Foodie

Postby Kyle L » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 am

It appears there is enough interest to warrant a meet/meal within the next few weeks. Anyone want to pull the trigger and provide a date? During the week? Weekend?
“There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people… Religion, Politics, and The Great Pumpkin.”
~Linus Van Pelt
Kyle L
Foodie

Postby RichardM » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Kyle L wrote:It appears there is enough interest to warrant a meet/meal within the next few weeks. Anyone want to pull the trigger and provide a date? During the week? Weekend?

Wrapping my right forefinger around the cold steel of the trigger.

March 26 or 27, 2013

Amici
316 W. Ormsby

Great Italian food.
Richard Meadows
Co-Founder & Chief Connection Officer
Berndows Enterprise LLC
Hacker Hostel Of Louisville
RichardM
Foodie

Postby Deb Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Sounds great, Richard! You may want to move to earlier in the week, though- I believe we were aiming for Sun/Monday.

Bill- Unfortunately I can't attend- I will be in Pittsburgh.
Deb
Deb Hall
Foodie

Postby Melissa Richards-Person » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:04 pm

If we did a Sunday Brunch, we could do Dim Sum at Jade Palace....just sayin' :wink:

Either way, I'd be "in" on MOST Mondays, except when I'm traveling on business....
Melissa Richards-Person
Foodie

Next

Return to Louisville Restaurants Forum