Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: 1950's and 60's Louisville Restaurants

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:My mom remembers and is curious about Luvisi's. She also would like to know where exactly Joe Z's pizza was.

I know my parents went to Leeo's and Luvisi's, and Joe Z's was somewhere out in Buechel, I think - maybe close to where John E's now used to be? I'm not sure - I wasn't big enough to drive. :mrgreen:
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:13 am

I never went inside the Dutchman but I have memories walking past there seeing the tinted windows.Every Saturday Mom and I would take the bus to 4th street walk from Broadway to Market to shop then back to Chestnut where we would wait for my Dad to pick us up. Lunch along the way at a lunch counter or the place at Stewarts.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Nancy A wrote:Is there anyone who remembers Luvisi's, Leo's Hideaway or Grubers? If not, maybe you can ask your parents?

My mom remembers and is curious about Luvisi's. She also would like to know where exactly Joe Z's pizza was.

Joe Z's Pizza was indeed in Buechel, kinda where the White Castle now stands. That corner of Bardstown Rd ( not to be confused with the Buechel By Pass) and Hikes Ln. The whole area has been reconstructed but it used to sit in a kind of small strip mall. They did carry out spagetti in aluminum foil lined boxes about the size of a shoe box. And if anyone has the recipe for their pizza sauce I would sure love to have it!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:36 pm

by Fred Kunz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:12 am

Ehrmann's - cinnamon crisps, butterscotch danish, butter kuchen, and perhaps the pinnacle of human civilization, their caramel ice cream

Cherokee Dairy - great chocolate chip ice cream, but my favorite treat was always a butterscotch sundae made with coffee ice cream and their fresh, real whipped cream

Reed's - 3rd and Oak - My favorite place for raspberry sherbet

Leo's Hideaway - great food nestled in the then-derelict part of downtown (Market? Main? I was a kid)

Stebbin's - on Chestnut - the first place I ever had shrimp when I was a kid

Cape Codder - the best fish and cole slaw

Toddle House - ice box pies and the world's best hash browns

Imorde's - real, homemade soup, salad, sandwiches - if a time machine brought it back, it would be a hit again. Ahead of its time...

the Rialto, the Mary Anderson... those great theatres we destroyed (and the neighborhood ones - the Bard, Uptown, Cozy). Thank goodness the Palace was saved

Parkside on New Cut Road - the first restaurant meal I remember from childhood: roast beef sandwich smothered in gravy

Rene's - on Bardstown Road - our first real French restaurant

the Green River friday night fish fry in a basement next to the Cozy - the best fish ever. (it was a lot like the Fish House's)

All the places that let me listen for hours to records without buying anything, and educate myself in jazz: Stewart's, Vine Records, Shakleton's

Calandrino's Pizza - our first pizza place, with pizza served on aluminum pedestals

Mammy's barbeque at Bardstown and Taylorsville

Bob Colglazer's Ranch House - the Ranchburger was a precursor to the Big Mac

Scotty's Market - Highland and Bardstown - great little grocery that made its own bottle mayonnaise. Delicious and unique...

the Zanzibar - great, divey UL hangout

The original Cardinal Inn

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/louisvil ... z2KV6eUbp5
Attachments
295143_2328161966265_695323_n.jpg
some things I found ...
295143_2328161966265_695323_n.jpg (88.98 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fred Kunz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 am

Luvisi's, Gruber's
Luvisi's was where the Old House was on 5th st across from The Cathedral
Gruber's was on Taylorsville Road right before you get to Bardstown rd where Applebee's Is now
We had a Chef that worked at Luvisi's, He made their Mostaccioli w/Marinara Sauce it was incredible I wish NEXIUM back then ...

We went to Gruber's on our birthday's they made a Lamb shaped cake and covered in coconut with sparklers
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 10098 times
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Fred- so it was Grubers before it was Hickory House? ( Taylorsville Rd @ Bardstown Rd.)

Ohohoh Cape Codder's fried onions.

Next time you're in The Fish House tell David Hilsenrad how much you loved The Ranch House. That was his father and uncle's restaurant.
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fred Kunz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:31 pm

No Carla
It was totaly different then it was a big hill if i remember right it was the same level as Highland cleaners
It was where Mc Donald's is then Hickory House those ribs & smoked ham HH had a smoke house behind the restaurant
When my father was growing up he lived just about across the street on Bardstown Road they owned the property from Walgreens to Krogers is now ...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Fred Kunz wrote:No Carla
It was totaly different then it was a big hill if i remember right it was the same level as Highland cleaners
It was where Mc Donald's is then Hickory House those ribs & smoked ham HH had a smoke house behind the restaurant
When my father was growing up he lived just about across the street on Bardstown Road they owned the property from Walgreens to Krogers is now ...

Ahhhhh... Ok . Thanks Fred!
no avatar
User

Nancy A

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am

by Nancy A » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Bill Gruber (Grubers) used to sing Happy Birthday to me in what I would describe as an operatic voice. I was mortified! I guess some of you know he was the maitre d at the Brown Hotel- Hot Browns (no tomatoes) and Chow Mein! I love making both of them.
Does anybody remember the hostess at Luvisi's? I went there as a kid, and think I can still "see" her.
I have so many memories of that place.
Does anybody know if Leo's Hideaway had fish tanks? That's something I see in my mind.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Fred Kunz wrote:No Carla

Thank you! You solved the mystery. It was a little back off the road, across from the Bard. Thank you! I don't want to say that I can die a happy woman but it's good to know there are a few people around that can answer almost any question.

And that was really a long time ago. I am older than Freedom Hall and I barely remember the restaurant. Of course, I went into the Bard theater every Saturday when I was in grade school. And my family ate out all the time.

(I was reminded by my question about this place from someone on the Facebook group....something about growing up in the Gardiner Lane area:-)

Merry Christmas
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:13 pm

When I would be in Louisville with my father we would often go to Leo's. We had made the trip from Taylorsville. I remember the long hall twenty+ feet long. The upper part of the wall was filled with pictures. I am not sure whether Louisville or boat and ocean views. The floor had bumps or rolls in it!! Made you feel like you were on a moving boat. There was a rope hand rail along the wall also.
Nancy Inman
no avatar
User

Fred Kunz

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fred Kunz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Nancy Inman wrote:When I would be in Louisville with my father we would often go to Leo's. We had made the trip from Taylorsville. I remember the long hall twenty+ feet long. The upper part of the wall was filled with pictures. I am not sure whether Louisville or boat and ocean views. The floor had bumps or rolls in it!! Made you feel like you were on a moving boat. There was a rope hand rail along the wall also.

I'd love to see some picture's...but that's how I remember Leo's
Previous