Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Beef Tenderloin in Beef Bourgoignon?

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Beef Tenderloin in Beef Bourgoignon?

by Deb Hall » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:57 am

I'm making Julia Child's Beef Bourgoignon this weekend ( one of my all-time favorite recipes). But when I went to pull the 3 lb chuck/rump roast out of the freezer, I found I'd already used it. I do however have 3 lbs of beef tenderloin that's older and a tiny bit freezer- burned. Normally there is no way I'd use an expensive cut for something like this, but I'm wondering if it's a good way to use up the tenderloin. Julia's instructions call for using a " lean cut of beef" and include sirloin tip amongst the possibilities.

Do you I think I can get away with using the tenderloin for this long-cooking dish? Or is it just too lean?

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Beef Tenderloin in Beef Bourgoignon?

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:03 pm

So the answer I got on-line: " long cooking beef tenderloin results in stringy and tasteless meat...." ( oh yum! :roll: ).

I found a Jacque Pepin recipe for Instant Beef Stew , made from tenderloin. We will be going with that. :wink: :)

Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Deb Hall wrote:So the answer I got on-line: " long cooking beef tenderloin results in stringy and tasteless meat...." ( oh yum! :roll: ).

I found a Jacque Pepin recipe for Instant Beef Stew , made from tenderloin. We will be going with that. :wink: :)

Deb

An alternative might be to sear the beef at the beginning to get the caramelized meat favors into the dish; pull the meat and reserve it, cook the rest of the dish and then put the seared tenderloin back in at the end?
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Great idea, Robin- but the Julia child recipe cooks for over 3 hours with the meat in it, the seared beef tenderloin would be at high temp, then have to be refrigerated for hours awaiting the sauce to be safe. I think it'd be hard to get it back to temp without it overcooking in the sauce. :?:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with beef bones- I roasted them as though for brown stock, then I'm going to add the rest of the ingredients except the beef and cook for a while. That'll get me the caramelized meat flavor in there. Then separately pan sear the tenderloin cubes when everything else is ready. We'll see what I decide: I'm still liking this idea better than the Pepin recipe idea and I'd already browned the bones before realizing I had the wrong meat.. :lol:

Thanks!
Deb