Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

Why always 4th St?

by Alan H » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

While watching the local news tonight two of the channels were highlighting the Cyclocross event coming up.
WHY do they always show 4th St as where to go to while in town???
There is never any mention of the great local venues on Main St, Bardstown Rd, St.Matthews, Frankfort Ave...etc...etc...
Why not showcase the Garage Bar, Blind Pig?, or O' Shea's maybe Phoenix Hill?...direct folks to the Back Door, Diamonds?.... Great local independent restaurants and bars......you think!?!?
I do understand logistics about hotel locations BUT there are hotels in the Main St vicinity and we all know including the nice people at our local news channels where the gems are in the Louisville area.
Why?
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

Re: Why always 4th St?

by Alan H » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Volare, Uptown, Seviche, Ricks, Jack Fry's, Bristol never ever mentioned?
Just to name a few
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Because the city did not give the farm away to the independent operators. Notice that every event is gravitating to FSL? I'll bet Cordish is trying to figure a way to get into the food truck business, too! :mrgreen:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 pm

This may sound silly, but my best guess as a recovering reporter involves simple causation: I'll bet the press conference about Cyclocross was held at 4SL, so they took their video where they stood rather than making an extra trip.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I wandered to the UCI Cyclocross web page and found something interesting. On its Visit Louisville page, they have a variety of links.

One goes, unsurprisingly, to Fourth Street Live.
http://www.louisville2013.com/site/late ... reet-live-

But another goes to a promotional page for Frankfort Avenue!
http://www.louisville2013.com/site/late ... he-avenueq

And some other links go to the Urban Bourbon Trail, Kid-Friendly Activities, Iconic Louisville Foods (Derby Pie, Modjeskas, etc.), and one to Sergio's World Beers! :shock:
http://www.louisville2013.com/site/visit-louisville

It's not everything, but it's something. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:I'll bet Cordish is trying to figure a way to get into the food truck business, too! :mrgreen:

HA!
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 am

It is like comfort food. Yeah sure Louisville residents know we have the highlands and frankfort ave, but even to locals it varies on where the highlands begins and ends. I have locals claim that Hikes Point is in the Highlands. The cool neighborhoods are close to downtown, but not visible unless you are driving through them. It's sad ,but even with GPS/Mapquest people get lost.

Honestly 4th street and Churchill Downs are starting points and hopefully locals will let people know about our wonderful other neighborhoods. I know it would be great to start with the Highlands, Nulu, and Frankfort, but a lot of people only respond to giant big red neon signs. Just look at New York City. It's always about times square for visitors.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Well Alan...I think part of your answer can be found right here...

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index ... ntuck.html

This is a link to reports on a multi-million dollar ponzi scheme that has it's roots right here in Kentucky. The story has been widely reported (all day) in newspapers (and TV outlets) as far flung as Cleveland, Miami and Tacoma Washington....Yet (as of 9:30pm) NO mention of it in either print or TV media here in Kentucky. So basically what we have here is one of the biggest stories of the new year...and no one here in KY is reporting it. My take is that the media here in Kentucky spends more time worrying about making sure they have the token black chick on the 6pm news than they are about actually reporting anything. A sad commentary on many levels.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Steve P wrote:Well Alan...I think part of your answer can be found right here...

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index ... ntuck.html

This is a link to reports on a multi-million dollar ponzi scheme that has it's roots right here in Kentucky. The story has been widely reported (all day) in newspapers (and TV outlets) as far flung as Cleveland, Miami and Tacoma Washington....Yet (as of 9:30pm) NO mention of it in either print or TV media here in Kentucky. So basically what we have here is one of the biggest stories of the new year...and no one here in KY is reporting it. My take is that the media here in Kentucky spends more time worrying about making sure they have the token black chick on the 6pm news than they are about actually reporting anything. A sad commentary on many levels.

Dude, you may want to cork your bottle and go to bed before you insert your foot in your mouth further. I don't think a public forum is proper ground for bigoted remarks.
James J. Natsis
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Steve P wrote: worrying about making sure they have the token black chick on the 6pm news

I think someone needs a time out. Thats a pretty offensive statement.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

I don't know what you were watching Steve, but I saw the story on 2 channels tonight.

http://www.whas11.com/home/FTC-and-Kent ... 59081.html

http://www.wave3.com/story/20755117/man ... al-lawsuit

And yes Steve that was offensive and i usually am pretty easy going on things. :?
Retired from LMEMS
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Doug Davis wrote:
Steve P wrote: worrying about making sure they have the token black chick on the 6pm news

I think someone needs a time out. Thats a pretty offensive statement.

<shrugs>....Ya'll can be "offended" about anything you want to...I really don't care one way or the other.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Steve P wrote:<shrugs>....Ya'll can be "offended" about anything you want to...I really don't care one way or the other.

James gave you good advice, above, Steve.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 am

Forget the dog piling on Steve for a second.

I'm a little tired of the anti 4th St sentiment that is prevalent on this board. There are a lot of us that work downtown that depend on that tourism business. Especially in the winter months. We'll take all the attention we can get.

You can be as anti-chain as you want, but still realize that those places are staffed by local employees. And with the recent shuttering of a lot of doors in our area we feel no guilt about a little extra exposure.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 am

I am not against FSL as a concept, I am against the constant flow of tax dollars with no accountability by Cordish.
Retired from LMEMS
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
Next