Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: A week's food for 7 families across the world

by Jay M. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 am

Shane Campbell wrote:
Jay M. wrote:As I'm sure you already know the answer to both of those questions is yes, I wonder what is the disingenuous nature of your question? I did have to look up purlieus though before answering.

I had to look it up too. Sorry to be so cryptic. Your contributions and forum demeanor bear an uncanny resemblance to another forum member who went into self-imposed exile - likely before you arrived. I thought maybe you were him posting under a new moniker. Nevermind.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:20 am

Jay M. wrote:
Shane Campbell wrote:
Jay M. wrote:As I'm sure you already know the answer to both of those questions is yes, I wonder what is the disingenuous nature of your question? I did have to look up purlieus though before answering.

I had to look it up too. Sorry to be so cryptic. Your contributions and forum demeanor bear an uncanny resemblance to another forum member who went into self-imposed exile - likely before you arrived. I thought maybe you were him posting under a new moniker. Nevermind.

Fair enough Jay. A self-imposed exile might be in order for me. I've been in a bad mood for a while now. I apologize to everyone I've been abrasive to lately. :oops:
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:26 am

Very interesting post Deb, thanks for sharing. I was looking in my own fridge just yesterday. There is only myself in my household lately, but you'd never know it by the amount of food in the fridge. "This is obscene that I have this amount of food for just me." I went on a tear and cooked up various things and shared with friends and neighbors. It felt good and it made sense.

This is how I view articles like the one Deb posted... For me they work like one of those "You are here..." maps posted in the subway or outside a museum. I use them to help me keep in mind my place in the world at large. I never want to lose sight of that. I never want to to think only of me, my needs, my wants. I find when I keep others in mind my life stays balanced. It gives me an opportunity to step back and evaluate what I am doing with my life and how that affects, if not the world as a whole, at least my little piece of it. But that's just me. And again, thanks Deb for the info.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Warning: I am anal retentive when it comes to sloppy research and analysis.

The linked article says 80% of Vietnam's rice harvest is lost before it reaches market. The actual figure is around 10-37% (worst case conditions). I just hate it when people approach complex problems with shoddy research. Excuse my petulance.
Previous