Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

A week's food for 7 families across the world

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 pm

http://firstperson.oxfamamerica.org/201 ... n_ref_map=[]

Enlightening- Really makes me stop and think.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A week's food for 7 families across the world

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks for posting, Deb. thus is something to think about while we supersize our fries.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Deb Hall wrote:http://firstperson.oxfamamerica.org/2013/01/23/7-photos-that-reveal-what-families-eat-in-one-week/?fb_action_ids=10200091002813531&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210200091002813531%22%3A442152922521277%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210200091002813531%22%3A%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

Enlightening- Really makes me stop and think.

Deb

Really? What's it make you thing Deb? How much you spent on the extravagent meals you had during your last vacation. While I will say it was far more than I'll ever spend on a meal, I don't for some reason feel that you or I have any responsibliity for feeding the world. Does that make me/us a bad people? What point are you trying to make I wonder?

I am a giver by nature Deb. I get great pleasure from giving to what I feel are worthy causes. I don't think it's my responsiblity to feed the world however. Do you?
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm

I want to add here that this is not a shot at you Deb. Neither you or anyone else needs to feel guilty for what you have. Presumably, you've worked for it and circumstances have allowed it. Others have been born with less and in more desperate circumstances. That is not your fault.

If it makes you feel good to give to such causes then then go for it. But I reject the idea that it is my responsibility to do so.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Proverbs 28:1
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Jon K wrote:Proverbs 28:1

I would just ask that you say what you are trying to say. Not what someone a long time ago may or may not have said.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Shane Campbell wrote:

I would just ask that you say what you are trying to say. Not what someone a long time ago may or may not have said.

Shane, sometimes for me a good quote says everything that needs to be said.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 pm

Jon K wrote:
Shane Campbell wrote:

Shane, sometimes for me a good quote says everything that needs to be said.

Jon, I would just say that not all of us read scripture. I like a good quote as well as anyone but I don't feel any compulsion to work to find that quote. It seems lazy to me to quote a passage. If you'd like to make a statement other than you read the bible I'd again ask that you say what you intend to say. If all you want to say is that you read the bible then I hear you.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Just Creations here in Crescent Hill sells a book that shows the same thing, for a typical family in various countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and North/South America. Deb, that book makes me think also. And Shane, it does not make me think that you, I or anyone else has a responsibility to "feed the world." It makes me think that I am damn lucky to live in a country like this, and lucky that I can afford to eat at more than a subsistence level. I by no means feel guilty for what I have, but I feel sorry for those that have a lot less.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

["Like"]
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Shane,
Calm down, friend- it wasn't an attack on anyone in any way. ( and I know yours wasn't either) :D

It really DID make me think- but not about my extravagant meals ( yes- I have them - we spend alot more on food than most people and I'm making one right now). I found the amount of food and different types of foods in different cultures eye- opening. In my case it made me think again about :
1)how much food we have in our house ( I seriously could feed those families for weeks),
2) how lucky we are to take our food for granted ( and others can't)
and 3) to be even more careful not to waste food ( I'm already pretty good with this - Brian says I should write a cookbook for leftovers. )

And for me personally, it also resulted in a donation to OxFam. :D
Deb
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Not sure how that applies, but Shane was being bold in his comment, so I guess it was a nice compliment towards him.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Shane,
Calm down, friend- it wasn't an attack on anyone in any way. ( and I know yours wasn't either) :D
Deb

Deb, I'm completely calm and no this was no attack. I speak frankly to nearly everyone I respect and I was genuinely interested in the answer to my question. It becomes nearly overwhelming for me sometimes to contemplate the need of others. In self defense I have to often have to turn away. Your donation made you feel better and little else I'm afraid. That doesn't mean I think it was for nought, far from it.

I have an almost compulsive need to help others and it is a constant struggle for me. It has cost me more than than I can say. This is not any admiral trait however, it's just a weird side effect leftover from whatever influenced me during my childhood I'm afraid. I struggle with it so I wonder about how other's deal with it.

I have very little respect for those of you who speak in code and I'll make no effort to suss it out. I grew up in a christian community and learned to fear God. The best and most free day of my life was when I finally realized I didn't believe. I could do good just because I wanted to and my reward was simply the satisfaction I felt. I didn't need to second guess myself and wonder if I'd done enough to get into Heaven. I feel sad for those who live life in fear. Fear of not doing enough.

I feel sad that anyone would think that any God would have a purpose in a school shooting or a civil war or slavery. I don't live my life in fear. I believe that in the end I'll know no more and so I should try to make every day count. I admit that I'm glad that most do believe in such penalties for doing bad because otherwise the world would be an even scarier place. How much scarier could it get?

People now strap bombs to themselves and kill little girls for going to school and stone women to death for not living up to the tenants of their God all in the name of their God. I'm sure they are just as adamant in their faith as anyone else. Are these people evil for doing as their faith demands?

How miserable must your life be to want to die just for something better. I've been deployed to areas where our own allies had to use force to keep their own people in check. Of course our own interest was just to make sure that we could continue to enjoy our way of life. So, whatever it takes to get you through the day is fine with me.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Shane Campbell wrote: Really? What's it make you thing Deb? How much you spent on the extravagent meals you had during your last vacation. While I will say it was far more than I'll ever spend on a meal, I don't for some reason feel that you or I have any responsibliity for feeding the world. Does that make me/us a bad people? What point are you trying to make I wonder?

I am a giver by nature Deb. I get great pleasure from giving to what I feel are worthy causes. I don't think it's my responsiblity to feed the world however. Do you?

Is your name really Shane? Do you, by chance, live in "The purlieus of Louisville, KY"?
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Shane Campbell wrote:Is your name really Shane? Do you, by chance, live in "The purlieus of Louisville, KY"?

As I'm sure you already know the answer to both of those questions is yes, I wonder what is the disingenuous nature of your question? I did have to look up purlieus though before answering.
Next