Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

So who has the best Bloody Mary in town ?

by Steve P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm

While having lunch with some fellow Byters this afternoon, the subject came up as to who has the BEST Bloody Mary in town. During the course of the discussion a few places received honorable mention...Selena's, NABC, Karem's Grill and Pub and Seviche to name just a few. Personally, after spending almost 20 years in the Twin Cities and having enjoyed "The Weekender" Bloody Mary at Ikes on many occasions (pictured below) my bar is set pretty high...So pray tell...Who DOES have the best Bloody Mary in town...and WHY is it the best in town.

http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2011/02 ... _di_37.php

Bloody Mary.jpg
Bloody Mary.jpg (107.56 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Paul Skulas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: So who has the best Bloody Mary in town ?

by Paul Skulas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 am

Blue dog. One of the best I've ever had and oddly enough it comes with a shot of beer too.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 am

The one at Ike's looks pretty good, and is in a class unto itself. I liked the Bloody's at Lynn's but they were pretty spicy. I sort of remember Ditto's serving a good one. If one can fill me up and give me a little buzz, that's a good one.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Paul Skulas wrote:Blue dog. One of the best I've ever had and oddly enough it comes with a shot of beer too.

Until moving to Louisville I was under the impression that it was Federal law that a properly prepared Bloody Mary -had- to be served with a "snit" of beer.

In the absence of...or until we discover a local establishment that serves up a -proper- world class Bloody Mary we will occasionally mix up a pitcher at home. While I won't go into all of the ingredients and incantations involved, I will say that if you haven't tried the "Zing Zang" Bloody Mary mix you are indeed missing out on what is by far the best commercial mix available...IMHO of course.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Not a fan of Bloody Marys myself, but my wife is a huge fan.

Her votes go to:

Silver Dollar
and
Blue Dog (I get the shot of beer)
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Steve P wrote:...if you haven't tried the "Zing Zang" Bloody Mary mix you are indeed missing out on what is by far the best commercial mix available...IMHO of course.

Your HO is absolutely correct. I've had no commercial mix that's better and wouldn't attempt to rival it with a home made concoction.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:55 pm

I must say I love the Bloody Mary that Stephen D. does at Majid's, however, I am a bit biased in that regard since I was a "taste tester" one evening while he was perfecting the recipe <HICUP> :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Best Bloody Mary for me is Cafe Lou Lou's. Second is Selena's. I love that certain something I couldn't identify in Cafe Lou Lou's. the bartender told me ( this was ages go when they were still on Frankfort Ave.) they added crab boil to the mix which gave it that hint of clove. TASTY!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Outlook Inn. Period. Exclamation point. If you want the best possible bloody mary without the gimmicks and "crazy crap" on top, it is absolutely the best in town.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:57 pm

+1

Jeremy J wrote:Outlook Inn. Period. Exclamation point. If you want the best possible bloody mary without the gimmicks and "crazy crap" on top, it is absolutely the best in town.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 am

Maybe I should add that we used to make a fantastic BM at Victoria Station and we made it totally from scratch. A good deal of lemon juice and horseradish. And I'm with Jeremy re not liking the buffet on a stick with my drink. BTW Jeremy and Derrick , what makes OLI Bloody Mary so good? I used to love going there but haven't in years. Don't think I ever had a cocktail there. ( beer night out usually). What pushed their Bloody Mary past the finish line for you?
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

Jeremy J wrote:Outlook Inn. Period. Exclamation point. If you want the best possible bloody mary without the gimmicks and "crazy crap" on top, it is absolutely the best in town.

Outlook Inn huh ?...Well we'll just have to put that one on the "to do" list...although for me the "crazy crap" on top is half the fun...Saves having to order a meal with my Bloody. Knowing Stephen D's penchant for over the top, I will also be putting Majid's on the "must try" list.

I've had the Bloody Mary at Cafe Lou-Lou (MOF, that was the place we were having lunch when I became inspired to initiate this topic) and while certainly a journeyman offering in all honesty it wasn't all that memorable...

My Liver and I look forward to conducting extensive research in this field and we will continue to welcome your suggestions.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Perfect example why food reviews are so subjective and not absolute! Everybody likes something different. Guess the ideal situation is for Steve and I to imbibe in a few and I will be happy to share the "buffet", :lol:
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Steve P wrote:

Outlook Inn huh ?...Well we'll just have to put that one on the "to do" list...although for me the "crazy crap" on top is half the fun...Saves having to order a meal with my Bloody. Knowing Stephen D's penchant for over the top, I will also be putting Majid's on the "must try" list.

I've had the Bloody Mary at Cafe Lou-Lou (MOF, that was the place we were having lunch when I became inspired to initiate this topic) and while certainly a journeyman offering in all honesty it wasn't all that memorable...

My Liver and I look forward to conducting extensive research in this field and we will continue to welcome your suggestions.

Outlook Inn is known for that drink- it's exceptional and in a great environment. I like Selena's a lot. If I was ever available for the offerings at Seviche or NABC, I'd bet those are are things to behold, as well. Also, the folks at Silver Dollar are another one that I have yet to try (it's a brunch thing.) If they throw thier hat in the ring, you know they've given the subject quite some consideration.

This is mine:

The Manchurian Candidate

House Pepper Vodka (Dandicut Peppers [Pakistan- Smoky,] Sichuan Pepper Blossoms [China- Herbal Citrus, with light anasthetic qualities])

Zing Zang- Like you, I believe it's the best commercially-produced mix, for the price.

Kim Chi Brussels Sprouts, Balsamic Marinated Roma Tomato, Salumi Stuffed Olive

Cheers!
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

How about a horseradish Bloody Mary?

by Sherrie G » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks Steve P! I’ve been wanting to start this thread myself. However, I’m persnickety when it comes to my Bloody Mary. I’m not a fan of black pepper; and the recent trend seems to be that all Bloody Marys are made with lots of black pepper or black pepper vodka. I’ve quietly been on the hunt for a place that makes their Bloody Mary using horseradish… and lots of it.

Years ago, I had one at Eastern Standard (at Hotel Commonwealth in Boston) that used so much horseradish that it looked like a snowstorm in a sea of red. I became a horseradish Bloody Mary after that.

I’m quite certain I would have been a fan of the one at Victoria Station that Carla G mentions. And I do agree with others who have mentioned Zing Zang as a good mix.

So, does anyone know of a place I can get a delicious horseradish Bloody Mary?
Next