Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: A Louiville mainstay inNYT Magazine

by Antonia L » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Joel didn't insult anyone outright or call names - other than "troll," I guess. I must confess to not fully knowing the implications of that term... Nor caring, really. He did use sarcasm and probably came on a bit too strong from the get-go. But Joel does not deserve this piling-on. Disagree if you must, but is it necessary to call someone stupid and immature while you do it?

Will has a good point, that lots of our establishments used to restrict certain classifications of people. No, I don't think we should boycott them all, and I doubt Joel does, either. Sounds to me like he was just responding to a bigger issue he has seen around here. I tend not to weigh in on various things here for some similar reasons. Kind of the same reasons I would sit quietly in class as a kid, watching the loud boys get all the attention from the teachers. Raising one's hand politely doesn't get you very far when boys are shouting out answers and making fart noises with their armpits.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Antonia L wrote:... when boys are shouting out answers and making fart noises with their armpits.

Who told you about our next offline!? :mrgreen:
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi guys and gals. As a forty year member, we have really enjoyed this discussion and we have a great idea! Let's have an Offline in the Grill Room at the Pendennis. We look forward to discussing this further with drinks and munchies at ground zero. :P Let us know when you would like to join us!
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 pm

by Robert Carnighan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi guys and gals. As a forty year member, we have really enjoyed this discussion and we have a great idea! Let's have an Offline in the Grill Room at the Pendennis. We look forward to discussing this further with drinks and munchies at ground zero. Let us know when you would like to join us!

Love ya, Bob!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Will et al, I think the issue at hand is that there's a reasonable chance to believe that this behavior continues even though their influence has waned. I don't have an issue with the Oak Room because they have shown clearly that their behavior has changed. I realize that we should take some caution assuming for sure that these things go on, but I do tend believe my friend. If this stuff still happens its completely unacceptable.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote:Let us know when you would like to join us!

I don't know, Bob. The last time I lunched there, I was interviewing former Mayor Charles Farnsley about the old days, and he upended a full glass of ice water into my lap with a gesture. Following this, I was patted down by a squadron of servers with white linen napkins. It is going to be kind of hard to beat that act, and I'm not sure I want to ...
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Robert Carnighan wrote:Hi guys and gals. As a forty year member, we have really enjoyed this discussion and we have a great idea! Let's have an Offline in the Grill Room at the Pendennis. We look forward to discussing this further with drinks and munchies at ground zero. :P Let us know when you would like to join us!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....Tou-fricking-Che'...

Good on ya Bob, I love it...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

I think it's a lovely offer, Bob. You and Carol are aces in my book, and if this comes to fruition, I will join if at all possible.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:.I was interviewing former Mayor Charles Farnsley about the old days, and he upended a full glass of ice water into my lap with a gesture. .

With a gesture....or AS a gesture ??? 8)

:wink: Just yankin' yer chain
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Steve P wrote:With a gesture....or AS a gesture ??? 8)

I'd rather not say ... :mrgreen:

:wink: Just yankin' yer chain

I knew that ...
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 am

Joel H wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:At the end of the day, I'm not saying it's not possible that things have changed drastically, but the extensive history of racism and sexism propagated by that place is just...icky.

Love ya, Jeremy, but I gotta say, that extensive history is more than just a little "icky." But what do I know? I'm just guy who thinks equating NAWBO (that's the National Association of Women Business Owners, for those of you scoring at home) or, say, the Girl Scouts to the awful evil that the Pendennis Club remains as a symbol of for many people in this city is pretty, well, lousy trolling.

When I worked in the food service industry, one of the most important, and crucial, pieces of what I found satisfying about it was the opportunity to serve all people, people of all kinds, not just whomever I wanted. Yeah, sometimes I might complain about a table or three, but would never have anything to do with what race or gender or sexual orientation of people were at that table. Louisville would be a lot better place if we found ways to relate to each other, to find our interests in common, instead of using food -- of all things! -- to keep dividing. The Pendennis Club doesn't have any interest now, nor has it ever, in treating all people the same, nor is it any way comparable to any other club that serves as a safe space for those who frequent it. Only an insane person -- or perhaps an old white guy -- would think so.

The "evil" Pendennis Club? As a nonlocal someone please help me. Did they formerly host klan meetings there that I am unaware of? Or continue to?
Were they formerly an all male, all white, private club? Yes. As were a number of clubs, businesses and other venues in this country at one time.
Are they still? No.

Secondly what beer I choose to pair with my food is my choice. Im paying for the beer and the food. I dont give a flipping toot what the chef, the bartender or the sommelier think I should be drinking with my entree, Asian or otherwise. Its my taste buds which have to approve not theirs.

PS- Since you seem to be the one to interject race into this conversation you might want to take a look in the mirror. The bigot you are looking for just might be you.

Robert Carnighan wrote:Hi guys and gals. As a forty year member, we have really enjoyed this discussion and we have a great idea! Let's have an Offline in the Grill Room at the Pendennis. We look forward to discussing this further with drinks and munchies at ground zero. :P Let us know when you would like to join us!

Would love to. Lets set a date!
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am

Antonia L wrote:Joel didn't insult anyone outright or call names - other than "troll," I guess. I must confess to not fully knowing the implications of that term... Nor caring, really. He did use sarcasm and probably came on a bit too strong from the get-go. But Joel does not deserve this piling-on. Disagree if you must, but is it necessary to call someone stupid and immature while you do it?

Joel completely dismissed Dan's point and, worse, accused him of being a troll - someone who posts only to stir up trouble. When Dan explained further and with more detail, Joel completely dismissed him again, once more trotting out the troll insult.

Then, Joel posted a long diatribe basically accusing all of us of being closed minded racists, unworthy of his wisdom. I was happy to just mock him by posting my little "You mad bro" pic. But Dan, having been previously singled out more than once by Joel, felt inclined to respond more... energetically. This response is fully justified in my opinion, especially by Dan; and I'm glad he did it.

Clearly Joel was not here to engage in conversation, or even understanding a different point of view. He was dismissive and insulting. Sometimes these things should be called out. Of course, if it's not your ox being gored, then why should you care or even notice? That's a question worthy of some introspection.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am

I'll go. Do their rules allow us to make it a sort of pot-luck? i.e. - can we bring in any outside food? probably not, I'm guessing. I'll still go. Last time I was there, I was to meet my boss (from my banking days). He was in the bar ladies weren't allowed in. I was a little humiliated to have to stand in the main room and jump and wave until he saw me. The building is lovely, though.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 am

What a wonderful offer.

So Bob, are there rooms or entire floors where Carol can not go? Inquiring minds need to know.
Will Crawford
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Steve, we just disagree. And now I regret responding at all. I hate these pissing contests. I'm going to go back to talking about food and booze.
PreviousNext