Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Luca B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Lynn breaks her silence! (but doesn't really say much)

by Luca B » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:15 pm

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Lynn breaks her silence! (but doesn't really say much)

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

She didn't really say anything at all, which is why I didn't bother to cross-post it. ;)

(No harm in your doing so, Luca. I'm just saying ... )
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

As long as everyone who's owed money in this deal get paid, why should she bother to say anything at all? Everyone's pretty much accepted the social media narrative as gospel, so it would be a waste of time. Most people will just use her statement to get in one last kick. If I were her, I'd cash out my holdings and move somewhere else.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Richard S. wrote:As long as everyone who's owed money in this deal get paid, why should she bother to say anything at all?

I could see a couple of reasons.

One, she has become a community icon. People who don't really know her think that they do, and many of them love her because they project their long-time love of her place on its owner. That means something, and it would be gracious of her to see that and respond to all the people who care, not just the trolls.

Two, allegations have been made about Lynn's corporate behavior that suggest it was nasty and inappropriate. Personally, I'd want to have my firm statement out there in response to all that. But maybe that's just me.

Mainly, though, I just thought the CJ's headline was a little bit inane. :oops:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Two, allegations have been made about Lynn's corporate behavior that suggest it was nasty and inappropriate. Personally, I'd want to have my firm statement out there in response to all that. But maybe that's just me.

My perception of it was that people were saying her behavior was illegal. In my eyes, those accusations should have been made in court, not on Facebook. I sure didn't see many people saying they loved her.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Richard S. wrote:My perception of it was that people were saying her behavior was illegal. In my eyes, those accusations should have been made in court, not on Facebook.

Seriously? Every dispute should be litigated? Most people just yell when they're PO'ed, you know, but don't make a federal case out of it. That said, however, some of the aggrieved servers were talking to a labor union about organizing, which is a pretty serious move.

I sure didn't see many people saying they loved her.

I think those would be the people I talk to on the street, the folks who like to eat but don't spend time talking on Facebook or forums. :)
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Richard S. wrote:
I sure didn't see many people saying they loved her.

I think those would be the people I talk to on the street, the folks who like to eat but don't spend time talking on Facebook or forums. :)

I laughed at that because I find it to be true. Forums in particular seem to be notorious for rants rather than raves. If we're going to write about something, it seems we're more inclined to vent about what's bothering us.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote: some of the aggrieved servers were talking to a labor union about organizing, which is a pretty serious move.

And not necessarily a bad move...in IMHO. Maybe if these folks had a labor union they would actually have health insurance and wouldn't have to depend on charity in the form of APRON, etc. Maybe if they had a labor union they would have something resembling standardized pay procedures along with a contractually defined grievance system for when those (and other) procedures are violated.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Hear, hear, Steve.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I laughed at that because I find it to be true. Forums in particular seem to be notorious for rants rather than raves. If we're going to write about something, it seems we're more inclined to vent about what's bothering us.

I've been thinking about this lately.

It also seems to me that it's a question of mood. Sometimes, good people have bad days- that some of the weight of life is getting under thier skin.

I've been reading the various posts from people I know well and have been thinking 'what mood are they in?'

It's really quite a cool way to filter some of the posts on public forums- and quite forgiving, mind you.

:wink:

PS. Let me use myself as an example:

On the 'Slam Local Writers' thread, I came off very mean. Not my proudest moment. I was suffering through the flu, raising a child, running a restaurant, blah-blah. We all have busy lives- that was no excuse for the way I treated that man. I can't take those words back and I probably lost a good friend.

You live and learn. Wash, rinse, repeat. Do it better next time.
Last edited by Stephen D on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Stephen D wrote:

It also seems to me that it's a question of mood. Sometimes, good people have bad days- that some of the weight of life is getting under thier skin.

I've been reading the various posts from people I know well and have been thinking 'what mood are they in?

This forum seems to be a fairly close-knit group. I suspect most of the moodiness does get worked out in reality.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:48 pm

You should come to the next offline- it works exactly like that.

People that you had a heated debate with, become your dining companions. What seemed like a big deal, falls in the face of companionship.

It's like a familly. And everyone is invited.

'We may not always get along, but we always get along.'
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Stephen D wrote:You should come to the next offline- it works exactly like that.

People that you had a heated debate with, become your dining companions. What seemed like a big deal, falls in the face of companionship.

It's like a familly. And everyone is invited.

'We may not always get along, but we always get along.'

I think I might have to do that. I like to eat and talk about things, which everyone here seems to share.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Antonia L wrote:Hear, hear, Steve.

I'm in ...
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am

I saw on the news a few nights ago that Lynn's is going to open for a certain amount of days for breakfast and that people can use their gift cards then.

I have so many reasons that this is not the answer, but here are a few:

1. They are bringing in food and chefs just for this? I doubt it will be the same.

2. This is a farewell week, so they don't have to issue refunds? I doubt it will be the same.

3. There is a difference between going to a well known, well respected restaurant, that is bustling and busy, and one that is in it's death throes. I doubt it will be the same.

So, to sum it all up, Lynn's NEEDS to offer full refunds (as was promised by her earlier) and not just a token gesture. Not to mention, many people will not be able to make it in for those limited days and hours they are offering.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
Next