Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Mellow Mushroom review

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:11 pm

I reviewed Mellow Mushroom for LEO Weekly back after it opened in late summer, but given its apparent popularity in the St. Matthews "zone," I figured it was worth taking another peek for The Voice-Tribune now that they've settled in.

It takes real bocconcini: Mellow Mushroom takes on the locals
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

“Downtown” St. Matthews has come a long way, from the generation when it was best known for dark bars populated by portly gentlemen drinking cold beer, to the modern era that finds it chockablock with hipster bars populated by trendy young folks wearing skinny jeans and drinking specialty cocktails.

I won’t even open the door to a discussion about whether this trend is beneficial or regrettable, although I’ll suggest that this opinion lies largely in the eye of the beholder.

But one aspect, in my opinion, is all to the good: The state of pizza in this prewar suburb has never been better. I can count at least a half-dozen full-time pizzerias – most of them locally owned, artisanal independents – within crawling distance of the St. Matthews club zone’s epicenter, and maybe a half-dozen more eateries that feature quality pie prominently on the menu. If the crowds that jam the burgeoning nightlife strip have a hankering for salty, cheesy, delicious pizza to lay down a base for adult beverages, they’ll find plenty here to keep them happy.

It takes real bocconcini for a franchised pizza chain to come in and take the locals on head-to-head, but I have to say it: Mellow Mushroom puts up a pretty good fight. And the crowds that keep its spacious quarters filled up suggest that the ‘shroom’s siren song is working.

We dropped in around midday on a Sunday and had our choice of tables. An hour later, the place was crammed. I’m sure it was only a coincidence that alcohol sales begin at 1 p.m. on Sundays. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/it-ta ... the-locals

and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... izza-zone/

Mellow Mushroom – St. Matthews
3922 Shelbyville Road
409-6874
http://www.mellowmushroom.com/store/stmatthews

Mellow Mushroom – Middletown
805 Blankenbaker Parkway, Suite 105
244-6112
http://www.mellowmushroom.com/store/middletown
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Mellow Mushroom review

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Very nice review, but you really didn't make many comments about the actual taste of the food items you selected. You went to the one in St. Matthew's, which has a very different atmosphere and look compared to the one in Middletown. The one in Middletown seems a lot more family friendly and has a more fun atmosphere with karaoke, trivia and live music. The one in St. Matthew's has more of a "Bar" feel. They also have different owners, which I'm sure is part of the reason they are targeting different market segments, although I'm sure location is also part of that.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 am

Forgive me as I've had a couple glasses of wine tonight but Is it just me or did Robin just review this restaurant without reviewing it? Are the grades no longer a part of the review? Seems like I just saw another review with a score..maybe it was an old review. Again, forgive me I'm sure I've got my wires crossed somehow... :lol:

I am going to edit this to add that I was just curious what Robin's opinion was as I don't find the pie all that spectacular and a little lacking in value. In other words, is it just me?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 am

Greg, it's a matter of client preference. The reviews I share with The Voice-Tribune don't carry a numerical rating. I just tell what I see, smell and taste. If anything is particularly good or notably not good, I'll say so. ;)

So, how was the wine?
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 am

Myself and another group of local guys do biweekly guys/dads night out. Last week we went to Mellow Mushroom, where before even placing my beer order I attempted to clarify the rumor about their tipping policy.
I told our waitress what had been said, and asked her if it was true. She flat out denied it. Said tipping there is optional and really does depend on how busy a night they had and how much the bartenders or bussers helped out. She freely admitted she tips sometimes, and not others and has felt no pressure to do so. And no they dont tax the money paid on tip outs.

So I quietly sat down and proceeded to drink and eat! :D
I eat, therefore I am.