Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Beer as an Ingredient

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Beer as an Ingredient

by Ray Griffith » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Well, I guess I should have titled the thread with this article's title. I just liked this one particular "trend".

Coconuts, beer? Six food trends for 2013
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/01/22/food-trends-2013/1855189/

Beer as an ingredient. The past several decades have seen a resurgence in the art of brewing. Now beer is making its way into foods, such as the Beer Flats crackers from Daelia's Food in Cincinnati. The crackers come in porter and pilsner flavors. For serious beer lovers, there's Beer Candy from Santa Clara, Calif. Computer programmer and longtime brewer Steve Casselman started making beer candy a few years ago and has branched out into beer jelly. It is strong stuff -- no slight beer taste here. A spoonful of jelly tastes like a serious swig of strong stout. "It's really good on pancakes," Casselman said. "You take the first bite and you think, 'This isn't right.' Then with the second bite, 'That's OK.' And by the third bite you're thinking, 'That's pretty good
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Beer as an Ingredient

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am

Big love for cooking with beer, especially slow cooking. I have a lot of fun playing around with different Jambalaya recipes using various styles of beer for the hydration. A porter and a kolsch make very different kinds of Jambalaya! :D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY