Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Punk Kickstarter

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Taco Punk Kickstarter

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 am

The project is still listed on the Kickstarter page, here's a link: Taco Punk
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 am

Kickstarter has got to be a last resort for an operating business in need of capital. Oh, wait - bringing on another equity investor might be dilutive. Or a bank would charge interest on a loan. Guess free money is always a better option.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:35 am

Here's the latest:

Good news Taco Punk friends and family, our Kickstarter project has been approved and launched!
For those of you who are not familiar with this crowd funded website, the rules are simple. In order to be approved, the project must have specific goals and offer a tiered structure of rewards for contributions. If the project reaches or exceeds the goal, we collect (minus Kickstarter and Amazon's fees as well as taxes) In turn, we will send you the reward for your contribution level.

We are well aware this project will attract its share of criticism as well. There will be many questions raised and part of the Kickstarter platform is to answer them in the form of updates. I will go ahead and answer the first question most people will ask : "Why should I support a business that is admittedly on the ropes?" The answer is that we are not that far away from making it. The first year of a restaurant is financially brutal but we have learned from those harsh realities and are currently running proper food and labor costs for a restaurant our size. Our first year losses and the overhead for a modern restaurant are killing us. But without additional support we simply cannot make the changes we need in order to grow. A healthy catering program and regular events in our outdoor space will allow us to close that gap and realize a tiny profit and make it into our second year.

Below is the link to our project page. Simply highlight, rightclick and select "open link" and you will be there. You will find a video, narrative and reward tiers. I thank you all for your support!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tac ... on-project

PS: Big thanks to Clay, Michael and George at ParkerLane for the video production and project help.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am

I think I would rather just support them the old fashioned way, by eating there a bit more often.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:59 am

Hmmmmm, well obviously people on kickstarter can donate money to whomever they choose. I can see where development of the sidelot sort of qualifies the thing as a "project" and a nice alfresco space probably has decent potential.

I would have thought you could get some sort of debt or equity investor in. Probably at very high interest rates though and only with a detailed business plan, evidence of current liabilities, cashburn rate, etc.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 am

RonnieD wrote:I think I would rather just support them the old fashioned way, by eating there a bit more often.

Plus you get taco's not bumper stickers. Although a bumper sticker would look pretty sweet on my Porsche when I park it out front of Punk.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 am

Kickstarter gets a bad name because it looks like "begging" or whatever. Yes, this individual has struggled. It's HARD running your own place. Restaurant overhead is BRUTAL (net is usually 5% of your gross? Yeah. BRUTAL)

But technology has evolved to an extent where a platform such as Kickstarter is available and if he is willing to put his neck on the line, start up the campaign, and get his funding then more power to him. I have questions myself but at the end of the day, I will never root for someone to go bankrupt or go out of business. So if he can get over the hump with a Kickstarter campaign then more power to him. I am sure this is his LAST resort. No way he was looking forward to having to do this.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am

David R. Pierce wrote:
RonnieD wrote:I think I would rather just support them the old fashioned way, by eating there a bit more often.

Plus you get taco's not bumper stickers. Although a bumper sticker would look pretty sweet on my Porsche when I park it out front of Punk.

Dave, I'm thinking that maybe we don't want to mention the "kickstart some fermenters" idea just yet. Giggling out loud.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm

I read Eater Louisville's piece regarding Taco Punk yesterday and thought – now that's distasteful! I was a little surprised that no one mentioned it on the forum but then I wasn't going to assist with such “piling on” either by acknowledging the one-sided piece.

In any case, RogerB also noticed and addressed the issue on one of his own blogs. So, Miss Pacman savages a local restaurant and in turn gets dressed down by someone else with a voice. Someone with far more cred than “what's his name” in my opinion.

I found nothing offensive or inappropriate about Taco Punk's Kickstarter initiative. In the end, they will be successful or not but I see nothing wrong with giving their customers a chance to contribute to their success.

I plan to have lunch at Taco Punk on Saturday. If they are as good as they were the last time, I'll return again soon. If things don't measure up, there are so many other options. I don't want Taco Punk to fail because I'd like them to be there when I want them. A couple of exotic beers at the Louisville Beer store, a short walk for a couple of tacos, repeat as necessary!

http://cityofnewalbany.blogspot.com/
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Look, the proprietor opened himself up to this sort of derision the moment he went for kickstarter. Let's be honest.... it IS basically begging. OTOH, the proprietor started his enterprise with lofty ideals, and to his credit he stuck to them. I think that kind of mitigates any sort of shame. After all, when the numbers weren't adding up he could have slashed costs by abandoning his ideals and firing everyone and replacing them with illegals and sourcing his food fom XYZ Food supply, etc, etc. The Eater dude doesn't mention this because his job is to purvey snark and that's about it.

And speaking of snark, I'm planning on a kickstarter program to revive Ollie's Trolley. Who's in?

/Low blow... I know
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 pm

DanB wrote:Look, the proprietor opened himself up to this sort of derision the moment he went for kickstarter. Let's be honest.... it IS basically begging. OTOH, the proprietor started his enterprise with lofty ideals, and to his credit he stuck to them. I think that kind of mitigates any sort of shame. After all, when the numbers weren't adding up he could have slashed costs by abandoning his ideals and firing everyone and replacing them with illegals and sourcing his food fom XYZ Food supply, etc, etc. The Eater dude doesn't mention this because his job is to purvey snark and that's about it.

And speaking of snark, I'm planning on a kickstarter program to revive Ollie's Trolley. Who's in?

/Low blow... I know

He did open himself up to derision and that's no small thing. Most people are too afraid to open themselves up to such criticism. He did aim high and his standards are just the kind of things that the people on this forum purport to so admire and advocate.

He is not begging in any way. He is saying simply, "Do you want this to continue?" The Eater guy is trading on sensationalism and his piece on Taco Punk is really only a small step above the average Troll.

Ollie's Trolley is still doing business so what's your problem with them?
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

I have mixed feelings about this, but, ultimately, I really can't see anything wrong with it.

He is indeed begging for money, as far as I understand the definition of the word "beg", but if people out there love Taco Punk and want it to stick around, I suppose it is in their best interest to help him out.

I don't know that opening one's self up to criticism is in fact brave or noble in this instance. I agree that a lot of people out there wouldn't do so, but that's because of pride. It is debatable whether pride is a good or bad thing, I suppose.

I would be weary of contributing, basically because of what our dear friend J Dylan said, only less assholey. It does seem like a failed business venture, and I don't see how throwing money at expansion is going to help.

That said, I'd like to see it work out. I don't want any local restaurant or business or individual to fail. And I think it speaks positively of anyone who is willing to donate their money to something they deem to be a good cause.

I still haven't made it out to Taco Punk myself. I have heard mixed reviews, but do want to check it out, mainly just as an F-YOU to that one hack UofL "reviewer".
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Dan E wrote:I have mixed feelings about this, but, ultimately, I really can't see anything wrong with it..

Dan, what follows feels like you see a least a little bit wrong with it.

Dan E wrote:He is indeed begging for money, as far as I understand the definition of the word "beg", but if people out there love Taco Punk and want it to stick around, I suppose it is in their best interest to help him out.

Wow, I just don't get this at all. So any time you ask someone for something it's begging? To me begging is someone asking you for something with no thought of returning anything to you. It's only for their benefit. In this case, you are being given the opportunity to participate in something that will return something to you. I'm not talking about a sticker or a free taco. If you want this place to remain in business so you can eat there then you should consider participating. If you don't care, then don't. But it isn't someone asking for something for nothing.

Dan E wrote: I don't know that opening one's self up to criticism is in fact brave or noble in this instance. I agree that a lot of people out there wouldn't do so, but that's because of pride. It is debatable whether pride is a good or bad thing, I suppose.

Most things are debatable but I didn't say it was noble. If a person is prideful then it is especially painful for them to ask for help. Doing something you find painful is often brave. I suspect it would be easiest for this person to just to give up. But he has employees, a family, and a dream. This is bigger than just him. Should he just give up on that?

Dan E wrote:I would be weary of contributing, basically because of what our dear friend J Dylan said, only less assholey. It does seem like a failed business venture, and I don't see how throwing money at expansion is going to help.

That said, I'd like to see it work out. I don't want any local restaurant or business or individual to fail. And I think it speaks positively of anyone who is willing to donate their money to something they deem to be a good cause.

I still haven't made it out to Taco Punk myself. I have heard mixed reviews, but do want to check it out, mainly just as an F-YOU to that one hack UofL "reviewer".

Unless JDylan actually is your dear friend, I would suggest that you are being assholey. You haven't been to the place to see if what's on offer is worth saving yet you feel justified in saying the owner is a begger and that his business is a failure already that doesn't justify trying the Kickstarter. What if this was a place you enjoyed, would you feel any differently? While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I would suggest before you formulate an opinion, you go check it out for yourself.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Wow, looks like I just got Shaned!

First time in my Hotbyte career, big moment for me.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Dan E wrote:Wow, looks like I just got Shaned!

First time in my Hotbyte career, big moment for me.

Oh stop it! I mean no disrespect to you. We are just talking here. I don't like to see people ganged up on and that's what it feels like is happening here. After the idiot at UofL posted her venom laden bullshit review, several people on this forum piled on without having ever been to Taco Punk.

I just think before you write them or anyone else off you should go see what they have to offer.
PreviousNext