Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Tasty liquids for a stroke victim?

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Robin,

I'm posting here to get eyes quickly; please move elsewhere if this is not appropriate.

All,

Brian's 57 year old stepmom had a major stroke last week. She's currently in the UK stroke Hospital in Lexington. They just took out the feeding tube, but the food in the hospital is "terrible" and she won't eat it. Currently the food needs to have the consistency of honey- otherwise she can't swallow it. All she could talk about last night was " Fruit Andalusia pop"...( whatever that is). We need suggestions for tasty, high calorie foods with the consistency of honey ( or less)- eating is critical to her recovery. She's in Lexington so cooking for her is very limited.
Any suggestions?

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tasty liquids for a stroke victim?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Of COURSE it's all right, Deb! And I hope our collection of foodies can come up with something really great.

The first thought that comes to my mind is probably not food that I might choose for a normal balanced diet, but how about milk shakes and fruit smoothies (some of which, despite being made with fruit, have insanely high calorie counts)? Warm, thick soups like potato-leek?
no avatar
User

Adam Arnold

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 am

by Adam Arnold » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

My very first thought on this was for you to go to LifeBar at Rainbow Blossom in St Matts (I think there are a few other LifeBar locations). I'm almost 147% positive they can help you formulate some things to take to her (not just fruit but veggies, grains, etc.)....and include some healthy additives as well.

Of course, you'd want to get a cooler with a lot of ice for transport (unless there is a Lexington location?)... but at least you'd have something that is easy to swallow and super healthy at the same time!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:13 pm

http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/creamy-soups

http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/creamy-soups

Pacific and Imagine both make some pretty good soups right out of the box and they can be found at Kroger in the organic section.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Great suggestions! Thanks guys!

It turns out that it has to be thick ( thin liquids are too hard to shallow) and it can't turn to a liquid/ melt when she drinks it ( so no frozen smoothies). Are any of the juice drinks thick without being frozen? She's terribly thirsty, and wants a drink but can't have thin liquids.

Costco carries Pacifico soups in Tomato Bisque and butternut squash- I'll head there tonight. :D

Deb
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Deb Hall wrote: Are any of the juice drinks thick without being frozen? She's terribly thirsty, and wants a drink but can't have thin liquids.

Deb

http://www.nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice

Naked Juice makes some pretty thick, non-frozen, drinks. I usually have to thin them out with OJ or Apple juice to get a texture I like, but the thickness might work for your situation.

Mighty Mango and Blue Machine are my favorites.

Available at Kroger.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:25 pm

By the way, Deb, we've been food-focused on trying to help with info, but this shouldn't go un-said: I know that all the forum gang joins me in sending best wishes to Brian's stepmom, that her recovery may be quick and uneventful.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm

^^good call, Robin. Would Equus's mushroom fume work? For sale at Lotsa Pasta, I believe.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm

The standard is Boost (shelf stabile) which is designed just for that purpose - not too different from a milkshake in consistency and flavor, while containing a full-specter of nutrients and coming in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. There is at least one competitive product, but we found Boost to taste the best.

Sometimes we'd do a "real" milkshake, but only if we were in the room, so we could take it away if it melted.

This is one instance where a Wendy's Frosty, an Arby's Jamoca Shake, or any McD's or BK shake would be good as a treat . . . even when room temperature they don't get any thinner!
Andrew Mellman
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Having worked in rehab with stroke patients for many years I know there are several products used to thicken food to whatever consistency necessary one that comes to mind is Thick-it I know there are others..I believe it is flavorless and you can get the consistency you need based on how much you use.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 am

Dan E wrote:^^good call, Robin. Would Equus's mushroom fume work? For sale at Lotsa Pasta, I believe.

I second Robin's well wishes, Deb - big hugs. If memory serves, the mushroom fume at Equus has a pretty thin base, but what if you thicken it with corn starch? Or any soup base for that matter? Does that break the rules of nutrition? Or would the bits of mushroom be too solid?

Or if you make a pureed bean soup, do you have to worry much about the skins, or be sure that they are fully removed via cheese cloth or sieve? If done with a cheese cloth, are they, then, too thin? Pureed potato cheese soup would be a treat, I would think. Is there a microwave to reheat if you do bring chilled food?

Seriously - if I were ever in this position, I would want potato cheese soup, the aforementioned mushroom fume, tomato-garlic-spinach puree, and a carrot-banana-watercress smoothie. With snacks of pureed cottage cheese and peaches at my every whim.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:21 am

If you have access to a blender quick cooking oats are a healthy and relatively quick way to thicken up most liquids. You don't even need to cook them, but let them soak in the liquid for a bit, then a spin in the blender and you're thick. Also peanut butter & a banana in a blender with any liquid base (juice, milk, milk substitutes, Ensure, Boost, etc.) is lots of good calories and plenty thick. I doubt you could bring a blender into a hospital or rehab room, but stick blenders are super portable and a lot less noisy.

Sans blender you can use chia seeds. They will add some semi-solid texture, but in the right proportion, the product will remain mostly liquid. Plus they add lots of other good stuff: fiber, protein, good fats, minerals.

You should PM Ryan. There are numerous "molecular" type starches, some of which are readily available at health food stores or possibly even larger grocery stores that you might be able to use without cooking. I'm talking tapioca starch, possibly xanthan gum, etc. Some of these need heat, some don't - I just don't recall all that stuff off the top of my head. A small amount of that kinda stuff in a bottle of juice or off the shelf smoothie and you're on your way.

A jar of baby food + bottle of juice or smoothie or whatever liquid base + a little shaking = thick + calories + lotsa nutrients. Also portable, simple, no refrigeration necessary and an almost endless array of flavors.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
no avatar
User

Jason M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 pm

by Jason M » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:31 am

Deb, you may already be well aware of the following issues, but I would be remiss if I did not put this out there.

I would strongly recommend that you do not experiment with this until clearing it with her speech therapist. When stroke patients have impaired swallowing, a recommendation for honey-thick liquids is often made for concerns over safety - not really difficulty. I would bet she's had a swallowing study which she did not fully pass. Thick liquids are much less likely to end up in the lungs than thin liquids. Part of her recovery will hopefully be recovery of swallowing coordination, but until she is cleared for thin liquids, I would not push the issue. If UK is anything like UL's stroke center, there will be both a speech therapist and a nutritionist who will be able to answer these questions.

Some of the suggestions in previous posts are good, some are definitely not. Here is a link to an excellent resource:

http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/e ... thick.aspx

But before you do anything, please make sure the professionals are on board. An aspiration event could very well be a disastrous setback. Hope this helps.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 am

Have no idea if this would help or not but along the same lines as Justin's suggestion, Odwala makes some tasty smoothies ( not frozen but thick) and a very good , chocolate protein shake using organic milk. When I am sick and my gut s bothering me its my go to nourishment.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 am

Dear Deb, Lots of positive healing for Brian's mom... As several people have noted, many liquids are difficult to swallow properly.... Ensure and Boost really aren't that bad, taste wise.. However, I will 2nd LifeBar,,it is my son's business, and they can do a variety of healthy drinks.. If she likes avocado, that is a great addition to a juice drink to thicken..hemp seeds blended can also offer good protein for her.. If we can be of help, please let me know.
Paula & Anoosh
Next