Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Punk Kickstarter

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Taco Punk Kickstarter

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

I just got this in Email from Gabe. I'm willing to step up. I hope some of you will be, too.

Greetings Taco Punk family! I write to you as we are celebrating our first anniversary and what a year it has been. All of you are in one way or another involved in our journey to change the way Louisvillians eat on a daily basis. We have experienced many successes and setbacks. Without a doubt, Taco Punk is a trend setting industry leader in the areas of high quick-service quality, local sourcing, transparent, nutrition focused menu, environmental responsibility, and community involvement.

Unfortunately, being a leader does not guarantee immediate financial success. We are discovering what it means to be on the "bleeding edge." In our first year, we concentrated on developing our concept as a QSR with hopes of launching multiple Taco Punks in the Louisville area. Now we are struggling to keep our doors open. Located in the emerging NuLu district, our business model planned on windfall income from conventions, arena and waterfront events. Although we are only a mile away, we have been unable to realize any substantial, regular sales from these sources.

We have submitted a Kickstarter proposal with the modest goal of $20,000. According to the rules, if we do not reach or exceed our goal, we do not collect any contributions. Although we are asking for $20k, we need every contribution we can get in order for us to survive into our second year. If we do not reach our goal we will be forced to make very undesirable decisions. Taco Punk is depending on you not only for contributions but for help spreading the word about our campaign.

Our plan to offset these losses involves developing the capacity of our location to increase sales. We are already catering on a small, irregular basis. With a targeted marketing campaign, Taco Punk will be able to take a great product to a larger market. In addition, Taco Punk will use these funds to develop our side lot into a beautiful alfresco dining and performance space.

This is a chance for Louisville to speak out about our everyday food choices. In recent months, I have been taking advice from numerous, expert sources and the greatest concern about our business centers on being "ahead of the market." There is a huge question we have yet to answer: "Is Louisville ready to support a quick service, farm-to-table taco shop in NuLu?" If we are approved, you will receive another e-mail in the coming days. I am Gabe Sowder chef and owner and I am asking for you all to say, "Yes, Louisville is ready to help Taco Punk keep on serving Louisville tasty tacos!" We thank you for your help and look forward to many years of tacos!
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

Re: Taco Punk Kickstarter

by Beth Thorpe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm

I have been worrying about them. It is expensive to run the kind of business that Gabe is running. The commitment to local foods, the recycling, composting, etc is pricy. I will be donating- My husband and I eat there twice week frequently.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm

I like Taco Punk, but isn't it against the Kickstarter rules to raise funds for a commercial venture? That was my issue w/ the vegan Kickstarter a while back, as well.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 pm

Peg O'Neill wrote:I like Taco Punk, but isn't it against the Kickstarter rules to raise funds for a commercial venture? That was my issue w/ the vegan Kickstarter a while back, as well.

Interesting question. I know NA Exchange was able to do it, but they were opening a new place, not augmenting an existing one. Same with French Indo-Canada . Does anyone know what the rules are?

Deb
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Kickstarter guidelines:

1. Funding for projects only.

A project has a clear goal, like making an album, a book, or a work of art. A project will eventually be completed, and something will be produced by it. A project is not open-ended. Starting a business, for example, does not qualify as a project.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks, Joel. So a project to 1) market to a new audience and 2) finish their outside space would seem eligible.....

Deb
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks, Joel. So a project to 1) market to a new audience and 2) finish their outside space would seem eligible.....

Perhaps, though to my interpretation, the first part would be too open-ended for Kickstarter's criteria, and the second might not be eligible under their criteria as a "creative project." Which is not to say that it might not happen anyway, since it seems that Kickstarter doesn't particularly enforce usage, but to me this seems like something better funded in other, non-crowdsourced ways.

Also, in general crowdsourced funding seems to be successful because donors/funders/whatever usually are given incentives to fund. I don't see anything in this press release that mentions any potential gifts or incentives, which may make it difficult to promote.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Joel,

Good points. I assumed that the incentives would be announced later- I think people totally expect them for KickStarter.

Deb
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I sort of have the same question, since this funding proposal is basically just extra capital funding to keep the business open it doesn't sound like it qualifies. In addition, it sounds like kind of a bad investment. If they can't support the present operations all an additional infusion of money is going to do is postpone the inevitable.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Mark R. wrote:I sort of have the same question, since this funding proposal is basically just extra capital funding to keep the business open it doesn't sound like it qualifies. In addition, it sounds like kind of a bad investment. If they can't support the present operations all an additional infusion of money is going to do is postpone the inevitable.

Ditto
James J. Natsis
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm

On a side note, henceforth I'll be referring to Eater Louisville as Eater Louisville Wonka.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Mark R. wrote:I sort of have the same question, since this funding proposal is basically just extra capital funding to keep the business open it doesn't sound like it qualifies. In addition, it sounds like kind of a bad investment. If they can't support the present operations all an additional infusion of money is going to do is postpone the inevitable.

What Mark said...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Wonka.

Walmart.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm

What is the difference between "Kickstarter" and "charity".

Seriously, is there a difference that I'm missing?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Jay M. wrote:What is the difference between "Kickstarter" and "charity".

Seriously, is there a difference that I'm missing?

Nonprofit status? :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I get all the angst, though. There are two thresholds: First, Kickstarter has to approve the project, and second, individuals have to like it enough to come up with the goal.

I like Taco Punk and I'd like to see them succeed, so chances are if the Kickstarter project does go I'll throw in a few bucks. But nobody's obliged to do so, as far as I know.

(Jay, sorry, I'm not shooting the messenger. I just don't really get what's going on in this thread.)
Next