Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Recommendation at Hammerheads

by Deb Hall » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm finally going tonight! ( lack of tables and reservations has been problematic) What are some of your recommendations?

Deb
no avatar
User

Ryan Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Recommendation at Hammerheads

by Ryan Rogers » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Mac and cheese balls
Sliders
PBLT
Crispy Catfish
Softshell Crab
Lamb Ribs
Chicken and Waffles
TVP Sloppy Joe
Pork Belly Baked Beans
Anything on Special.
Feast BBQ - New Albany, IN & Louisville, KY
Royals Hot Chicken
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Truffle fries, lamb ribs, anything with their brisket on it, the duck burger if their still running that special.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:12 am

Lamb ribs. So tender. So fatty. So delicious.

Also, duck fat fries.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am

Lamb ribs are pretty awesome. I usually suggest someone try the PBLT if it's your first trip. The elk burger stands out as well. Smoked mac and cheese with truffle oil is awesome too. Just get there as close to 5 as you can. It gets super wild in there or I should say, down there. Cheers!
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Duck tacos and Grippo fries.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks, guys!

We went last night at 6:00 and got one of the last tables. Wow! Noisy, dive bar atmosphere as expected was a great match to our mood. Between the 4 of us, we had 3 flavors of fries- all very good. My truffle fries were amazing ! ( and $3!) . My friend's smoked mac and cheese was really good ( she declared it one of her favorites),we were however surprised at how spicy it was (chipotle chili? ) without any mention of that on the menu or by server. It worked well for us, but I wondered if it's always been that way....

We all ordered different things and tasted. Among the favorites: beef brisket, BBQ pork and my duck tacos which were awesome ( $10). Two beautiful, fresh corn tortillas very well-stuffed with confit-type duck topped with a fresh pico and some kind of wonderful aioli. Messy as hell- they dripped goodness with every bite. We had to pass on the bacon brownie- we were far too stuffed.

I'd say "Damn- I should have gotten the Lamb Ribs" given all the great reviews, but what I had was fabulous- so no regrets. Good excuse to go back really soon with Brian. We all loved this place!
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:Duck tacos and Grippo fries.

:lol: I was typing my rave on the tacos at the same time. :wink:
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Went again ladt night. All I can say is: Lamb ribs and truffle fries!! YUM!
Deb
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm

This is hands down one of the best restaurants in our town. What these guys are able to do in that tiny kitchen in the basement of a house is nothing short of miraculous. I have never ever had a bad menu item there.

Every other gastropub in town should take notes on what they are doing.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:17 pm

My advice is don't go - overhyped & overpriced. My BF an I went there for our anniversary on the night it was sleeting so we were miraculously able to get a table. The food tasted pretty good going down - he got vegan tacos, I got burger & mac & cheese. However, the bill was quite high and I barely made it home before...well, I won't go there, but it was gross. Won't be back.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 pm

That's a shame, Peg. :( We've been multiple times and really enjoy the food. I find their portion sizes to be good size to large, and and pricing ( $7-12 entrees) to be well-priced for the quality ( but not the "dive" atmosphere.) And, oh those truffle fries.....!!!

The only issue we've had is that their fries do not reheat well at all :cry: , so the $5 basket is excessive. Smoked mac & Cheese didn't do anything for me, but others have raved. And we have yet to have tried the desserts- no room.

Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Went there Monday, had the brisket sandwich and mac & cheese, and a few beers. Didn't think the prices were outrageous, at all, and I always have a good time. I know it's probably not for everyone, but I really don't understand most people's criticisms of Hammerheads, as they're consistently one of the best dining experiences I have in Louisville.
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:00 pm

LOL - I thought fries never reheated well! :) I did really like their Mac & Cheese,but other than that...I miss Swan Dive. Sorry folks!
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 pm

I know I am in the minority, but I just didn't think the barbecued fare at Hammerheads was very good either. I loved the sides we tried, smoked mac, fried mushrooms(and I'm not usually a fan of deep fried veg), Grippo fries.

I tried the ribs after being told that they were the best in Louisville, and they were overcooked, textureless and dry. To be fair, I almost never get good ribs anywhere in Louisville. Neither my girlfriend or I cared for the TVP sloppy joe at all either.

However, I will go back, as numerous items have received rave reviews on hotbytes and from multiple friends of mine. And again, I liked the sides very much. But I think I will avoid the barbecue
Next