Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lobster

User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

Lobster

by Matt K » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 am

It's my mom's birthday this week and I've decided to take her to a nice dinner. She never gets to go out anymore and she absolutely LOVES Lobster tail. Question is, where can I take her? I absolutely refuse to go to Red Lobster, and I don't think much higher of Joe's Crab Shack. I looked online at Mitchell's Fish Market, but it seems they don't have a lobster tail on their menu. Strange for a seafood restaurant not to have lobster... hmmm. The only other place I could think of would be Bonefish perhaps? I would like to do a local restaurant though. Anyone have any suggestions? Greatly appreciated!
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

Re: Lobster

by Greg R. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am

If memory serves me some (most?) of the steak houses serve lobster tail...i'd check them out...Jeff Ruby's, etc.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am

Greg has it right.
Jeff Ruby's is worth checking out. But you might want to check it in advance as it could get *seriously* expensive! The 11 oz. Lobster Tail is listed as "market price", the Steak (9 oz. Filet) & Lobster (11 oz.) is $72 (!), but perhaps you could split that combo? Morton's shows Lobster as well, as does Ruth's Chris. And, according to this article, http://traveltips.usatoday.com/restaura ... 62894.html , you might even want to check out Kingfish!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 am

I absolutely agree about the steak house option. And if you want to keep it local, Del Frisco's has them, too, but Pat's does not.
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

Okay, after seeing those prices let me change my advice.

Buy two tickets to the Actor's Theater Lobster Feast. They're $225 a piece, but it's all you can eat lobsta and booze and it's one hell of a party'! The money goes to the theater and you'll have the opportunity to drop a few grand on silent auction items. :lol:

Be warned..I've been the last few years and it's a massacre. I have no idea how they clean those carpets.

Option 2: Buy them for $10-$15 bucks a piece frozen (if they're on special at Fresh Market) at a high end grocery and cook them on the grill. Just did a couple on the Big Green Egg and I was told by my wife that they were the best she's had...and she's a lobster snob. (Of course what else is she going to say?)

The secret is to to slice them open and put a skewer through them and to keep hitting them with butter as they cook. As they cook they puff out giving you that steakhouse look. Hit it with a little paprika or cayenne pepper after they're done for a little color if you're a wild man. Plenty of details and ideas available via Google or you tube.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Mitchell's has lobster tail. John gets it almost every year on his birthday.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

They are easy to cook yourself, and cheaper at Costco or Clearwater Farms than Fresh Market.

If you want to go out, agree that Mitchell's normally has them (call and ask), usually as a "special" so not always on the on-line menu. Also, most decent Chinese restaurants can make you a special feast dinner if you talk to them in advance - something like a special 5 course meal for maybe $35/person or so, even including lobster tail as one of the courses!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Helen Claiborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Prospect

by Helen Claiborne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm

The Blackstone Grille at 9521 A US Highway 42, Prospect, KY 40059 usually has a Lobster Fest in the evening on the first Wednesday of the month.
They like to have your lobster reserved by the Monday before. Their phone is 502-228-6962.

Really nice folks with great food and atmosphere, although I sometimes get a carry out because they package the food very carefully and it travels nicely. :D