Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Simply Thai review

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Simply Thai’s Middletown shop trails the original
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The sun shimmers like a brass gong in the pale, washed-out desert sky. There’s not so much as a breath of cooling breeze. I can see a big cactus, but it’s not much good for shade. Thirsty. So thirsty. The sun beats down, baking, burning.

And then my eyes pop open, doing the familiar where-am-I blink, and hey! I’m home! In bed! And I have never been so thirsty.

About four big glasses of cold water put that right, and soon I’m sinking back into a calmer sleep, thinking as I drift off, “I’ll bet it was the pad Thai.”

Or maybe the Nam Prik Ong lettuce wraps, or the Thai soups? Looking back on it as I tasted the leftovers from Simply Thai’s Middletown branch the next day, I think there was a hefty dose of salt or soy sauce alongside the chile peppers in that happy endorphin-boosting burn.

I have long rated Simply Thai’s St. Matthews operation among the city’s best Thai eateries, and that opinion didn’t change when I visited it again a few months ago. I’ve been delinquent about getting out to its year-old second venue in Middletown, though, so we finally ventured outside the Watterson the other night to check out its newer suburban branch.

Simply Thai No. 2 is located in a shopping-center space that, among other things, also housed the final incarnation of Mazzoni’s and a short-lived Mexican spot. Its bright and inviting bar and dark wood tables feel comfortable in these digs, although they haven’t painted over the Mexican-look decor, which creates a little cognitive dissonance.

The menu appears similar or identical at both venues, and the Thai fare at the Middletown branch isn’t bad. But I have to come out and say it: Even if we let the salty-as-the-Sahara issue pass as a one-dish aberration, I can’t rank this branch quite as highly as the home office in St. Matthews. A representative spread of dishes ranged downward from good-but-not-outstanding to “meh.”

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/simpl ... e-original

And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/simply-thai ... s-original

Simply Thai
12003 Shelbyville Road, Ste. 101
690-8344
simplythaiky.com
Rating: 79
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Simply Thai review

by Jason G » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:59 pm

I always get the level 5 pad thai at Simply Thai. Well, a couple of weeks ago I ordered the same, level 5 with chicken. Middletown location.

I don't know if someone thought it would be funny to throw some ghost chilis in the sauce, or if they accidently used 5x more spice, but this was almost the hottest thing I have ever eaten. Compared to the normal level 5 this was about a level 20 and I'm not exaggerating. I had to get a glass of milk after a few bites.

After the first wave of heat died down I was determined to finish the dish, so I ate about 80% of it as fast as I could. Then I suffered through the second wave with some ice water and my milk. I had won the battle. Until the next day...I won't go into details but let's just say the pad thai had the last laugh. :oops:

I haven't been back yet so I don't know if it was a random occurrence or they decided to bump up level 5 to "kill the westerner" intensity. But it was berserk.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Jason, I had a similar experience recently, but contrary to Robin's review, I found myself enjoying my dish at Simply Thai Middletown more than the St. Matts lacation.

I the yellow curry at both locations...spice level 4.

The Middletown location was very hot, exactly as I suspected when requestion 4 of 5 on the spice scale, The cut of the carrots and potatoes was small, "tight" and uniform. However, upon ordering the same dish in St. Matts, I found the spice to be lacking, and the veg was huge...I'm talking pieces of carrots the size of golf balls.

At both locations, the curry was warm, falvorful and had generous sized pieces of chicken.

DD
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am

Im not sure either location is as good as it was in its original tiny location.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:Im not sure either location is as good as it was in its original tiny location.

I don't really agree with that, except insofar as it lost its feeling of being an "insider joint" when it moved to larger quarters.

My intuition, not supported with any real evidence, is that where Chef goes, the high notes go, and she can't be both places at once.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:Im not sure either location is as good as it was in its original tiny location.

I don't really agree with that, except insofar as it lost its feeling of being an "insider joint" when it moved to larger quarters.

My intuition, not supported with any real evidence, is that where Chef goes, the high notes go, and she can't be both places at once.

I buy your interpretation, on both parts.

Its hard to blind taste test multiple locations. :D

My real problem is that since the Middletown one has opened, I havent been back to St Matt, so its hard to directly compare. Also, I do think the Middletown one has been inconsistent, sometimes very, very good, sometimes only good.

And that might align with the Chef. Or general hiring problems with multiple locations.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote: so we finally ventured outside the Watterson the other night

heh-heh....heh...He said "outside the Watterson"...heh-heh...heh. :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Steve P wrote:heh-heh....heh...He said "outside the Watterson"...heh-heh...heh. :wink:

I probably shouldn't disclose this, but with my current school/work assignment at St. Thomas Episcopal on W- W- Westport Road, I'm outside the Watterson several times a week. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:heh-heh....heh...He said "outside the Watterson"...heh-heh...heh. :wink:

I probably shouldn't disclose this, but with my current school/work assignment at St. Thomas Episcopal on W- W- Westport Road, I'm outside the Watterson several times a week. :mrgreen:

Robin, as a fellow inside-the-Watterson guy, I'll give you a pass on this one.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Mike D wrote:Robin, as a fellow inside-the-Watterson guy, I'll give you a pass on this one.

Well, the rector, Rev. Anne Vouga, and I both live inside the Watterson, so we're basically taking urban culture out to the 'burbs on sort of a missionary basis. :lol:

(Wondering if any of my St. Thomas pals are actually lurking here ... :oops: )
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Dont be embarrassed. We live in the Highlands. I dont see us ever going to GuacaMole because as far as we are concerned its in the boonies! LOL :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm

I made it inside the Watterson TWICE last week.

Where is the "shudder" emoticon?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:I made it inside the Watterson TWICE last week.

Can't we all just get along? :)
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:I made it inside the Watterson TWICE last week.

Can't we all just get along? :)

While it is still Jan 21 this seems appropriate: I have a dream that one day we will be judged by the content of our character and not by which side of the Watterson we live on.

Also, that our city leaders will realize that a $1 spent on Preston Hwy in Okolona is just as much in the city as a $1 spent at 4th and Liberty.