Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Eater Louisville slams local food writers

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Dan E wrote: i better go drink a beer.

Artisanal and locally produced, please. :lol:
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Stephen D wrote:I am quite aware of what the Metromix is- I'm in it every month.

Thank you. This is the funniest thing I've read on HotBytes in ages!
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Joel H wrote:
Stephen D wrote:I am quite aware of what the Metromix is- I'm in it every month.

Thank you. This is the funniest thing I've read on HotBytes in ages!

:wink: 8) :D
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 pm

That's a kind offer but I wouldn't be able to accept - mainly because we have a five month old at home and no regular baby sitter we can leave him with at this point. Our dining out experiences since his birth, with one exception for my parents annivesary, have been restricted to very casual spots where I feel comfortable eatting with him sitting in my lap or sleeping in his stroller. It's been fun, but we do miss getting out to slightly higher end places from time to time!

And for what it's worth I do think you are being genuine here. I don't mean to cast aspersions on your sincerity. Far from it. We just have a fundamentally different take on the very nature of this discussion.

I understand, trust me. I've a 14 month old and they require a lot of attention. We don't get around so much anymore, do we?

:D
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Dan E wrote:
Dan E wrote:Is he a restaurant reviewer, or a restaurant reviewer-reviewer?

shit, i think that makes me a restaurant reviewer-reviewer reviewer. i better go drink a beer.

DanE....sounds like you are indeed a "man of genius"...Mister reviewer of food reviewers man. 8)

My next Buds for you. :D
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm

I gotta say- those who have been on the "against Zach" camp, have you re-read this thread at all? I mean, I suppose there are a couple valid points, but mostly people kind of just piled up on this guy from the start. And a lot of it seems like most of you haven't even actually read the article. I love Louisville, and hot bytes is great for a lot of things, but I do think as a group, people here tend to have an issue with outside opinions or a weakness with handling any kind of criticism to Louisville that isn't from someone on this forum.

I respect Zach for having the guts to not take shit and to respond in a reasonable way. I have to say, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, this thread has mostly just been one giant attack on a guy who made a fair joke about a valid point of view- our reviewers really do tend to use kid gloves on most places. It was a genuinely funny article, and if we can take a little bit of criticism, even that in a joke, what does that say about us as a city? If louisville truly wants to be the national foodie mecca that we claim to be, we need to grow up, and deal with what comes with that.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Jeremy J wrote:I gotta say- those who have been on the "against Zach" camp, have you re-read this thread at all? I mean, I suppose there are a couple valid points, but mostly people kind of just piled up on this guy from the start. And a lot of it seems like most of you haven't even actually read the article. I love Louisville, and hot bytes is great for a lot of things, but I do think as a group, people here tend to have an issue with outside opinions or a weakness with handling any kind of criticism to Louisville that isn't from someone on this forum.

I respect Zach for having the guts to not take shit and to respond in a reasonable way. I have to say, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, this thread has mostly just been one giant attack on a guy who made a fair joke about a valid point of view- our reviewers really do tend to use kid gloves on most places. It was a genuinely funny article, and if we can take a little bit of criticism, even that in a joke, what does that say about us as a city? If louisville truly wants to be the national foodie mecca that we claim to be, we need to grow up, and deal with what comes with that.

Fair enough, although nowhere in the article or the responses did I see a hint of humor.

Publish a similar article in NYC, Miami or Los Angeles and see how they respond.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Steve P wrote:
Dan E wrote:
Dan E wrote:Is he a restaurant reviewer, or a restaurant reviewer-reviewer?

shit, i think that makes me a restaurant reviewer-reviewer reviewer. i better go drink a beer.

DanE....sounds like you are indeed a "man of genius"...Mister reviewer of food reviewers man. 8)

My next Buds for you. :D

Thanks, Steve. It's nice to know that my girlfriend isn't the only one I drive to drinking.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Dan E wrote: i better go drink a beer.

Artisanal and locally produced, please. :lol:

ha, i actually ended up going with a West Sixth IPA from Lexington. I paired it with 4 additional West Sixth IPA's.

They complemented each other quite nicely on my palate.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am

Jeremy J wrote:I gotta say- those who have been on the "against Zach" camp, have you re-read this thread at all? I mean, I suppose there are a couple valid points, but mostly people kind of just piled up on this guy from the start. And a lot of it seems like most of you haven't even actually read the article. I love Louisville, and hot bytes is great for a lot of things, but I do think as a group, people here tend to have an issue with outside opinions or a weakness with handling any kind of criticism to Louisville that isn't from someone on this forum.

I see it completely differently. From my own perspective, this guy has a lot of supporters. I do believe that everyone who critiqued the "article" (IE the compilation of others' work with some words highlighted) did read it.

From what I've seen, he has more supporters here than critics, which rather surprises me, but everyone is allowed their own opinion. (even if they have to slice and dice others' opinions to exhibit theirs.)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:35 am

Wow that hurts. You know hype is a double edge sword; you need a little so you get people thru your doors, but not too much, so people don't get their expectations so high, that when they come to your restaurant there is nothing that you can do to meet those expectations. Not that I don't love good reviews, you keep them coming Robin :D :wink: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Shane I'm sorry my man that we couldn't provide your Guacorgasm, its hard believe me. That will be a dream come true for me. I love what I do, so if everybody that came to Guaca-Mole had a Guacorgasm life will be beautiful. But the reality is totally different, I haven't met a Chef or restaurant owner that wakes up and says you know what I'm going to make Mr Will Gaines fish tacos in a batter that was more of a grease sponge than a batter, or even better I'm going to tell my fryer cook to do it. So many moving parts that mistakes are going to happen, it is the reality of the business. Some people love what you do, some others don't, but you keep working.

Will I totally agree with you Mayan Cafe is a great restaurant as its Palermo. Bruce is not only a good friend and a nice guy, but also a hell of a chef. I'm sorry that you don't like Guaca-Mole or any of my other productions as you put it. I though you liked Havana Rumba by your comments in the past.

Re: A Foodie Who Has Moved From Seattle
by Will Gaines » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:13 pm
There are so many good ones a top 10 is hard.....I will give it a go anyway trying to do one in each category

Seviche - Latin
Havana Rumba- Cuban
Limestone- Progressive Southern
Coach Lamp- New Orleans
Palermo Viejo- Argentinian
Mayan Cafe- Yuca inspired
Oakroom- Fine Dining
Le Relais- French
Avalon- American fusion
Basa- Vietnamese

Honorable Mention:
Lilly's
Corbett's
Jack Fry's
L&N
610 Magnolia
211 Clover

by Will Gaines » Fri May 22, 2009 11:00 pm
Havana Rumba has been and continues to be run by the same individuals for some time now. Fernando, who is leaving Mojitos but has not done so yet, has not been involved for the most part with day to day operations at Havana Rumba since Mojitos opened. I eat there at least once per week (3 times last week to be clear) and a single slice of avocado on the house salad has always been standard fare as far as I can remember. Would you have been happier if they diced it to make plural as described on the menu? If you requested a dish without tomatoes and got them anyway you have a gripe, but I would hardly call it a "subjective concern". To be clear you got a gift card as reparation for the bad experience, thus it appears to me that you were adequately compensated for the mishap. I went with a party of 8 for lunch last week and the service was flawless with everything coming out as ordered. I would chalk this up to an off night, but no reason to be concerned.

Hopefully you like Mussel & Burger Bar or give Guaca-Mole another try. Let me know, it will be on me.
No hard feelings and keep on eating everybody.
User

Shane Campbell

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Hoosierville

by Shane Campbell » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

Fernando Martinez wrote: Shane I'm sorry my man that we couldn't provide your Guacorgasm, its hard believe me. That will be a dream come true for me. I love what I do, so if everybody that came to Guaca-Mole had a Guacorgasm life will be beautiful.

Wonderful response in total! I will respond by saying that the "in-restaurant" gastrogasm is likely just a myth.... since ancient Rome. George Castanza did extensive research on this subject and in his opinion it can only be achieved via the tri-fecta.

"I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted-cured meats."

Jerry - "We're trying to have a civilization here!"

Cheers Fernando!
I'm a bitter drinker....I just prefer it that way
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:17 am

Fernando,

I didn't say that I dislike your other productions. I said that I disagreed with Robin's rating of them all. I said that I didn't like the food I got from Guaca Mole, I went back and it was better but not deserving of its rating on the scale that is used for all restauprant reviews. I am glad there are no hard feelings because I highly doubt that anyone is going to decide on dining at your place based on my comments in this post. My whole point is that you should only take the word of others with a grain of salt unless there is a proven track record of similar preferences. It was not an attempt to dissuade people from dining at your joint.

One point to be made is that i did go back after an awful experience. You earned that based on word of mouth and my past experience with your places. As you pointed out I used to frequent Havana Rumba even though I disagreed with its rating at the time, which I believe was low 90's and more recently has descended to 85 (which is still too high for my taste). Thanks for offering, but I won't accept enticements to return. I will probably return just based on the fact that you took the time to read through this post (which was not related to your place), and came out to defend your business like any good owner would. That shows a certain level of pride and involvement, which in addition to the positive economic impact on the local economy is the reason I primarily dine local.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 am

Other than to second the motion for locally-brewed artisanal beer, I've little to add except this: When I voiced a handful of concerns about Eater to Zach, he was prompt and forthcoming in reply. That's important to me. Just so long as the future Eater recognizes that Kentuckiana includes neighborhoods like New Albany in Indiana, too, I'll give it a chance.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Mark F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 pm

by Mark F » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 pm

I have to agree with Zach on this one that the scores given to some restaurants are generous to say the least. I read the NY Times restaurant reviews quit often and I think I can see where he is coming from. When reading the times I’m often turned on by the writing about the restaurant, the food, the cocktails, and the overall ambiance. As I read about the delicious soup, the amazing rabbit dish, the knowledgeable wait staff, the wine, beer and cocktails, the overall ambiance of the dining room I think to myself that if I lived in New York it would be the type of establishment I would frequent. There are often critiques of the restaurant and they aren’t always as harsh as the viral Guy Fieri’s American Restaurant review, but astute points about dishes and service. The review I’m referring to, the restaurant received 1 star. It was a small bistro with rustic food and a comfortable atmosphere, it is what it is, 1 star. It isn’t the goliath; it isn’t Le Bernardin, Per Se, Daniel, or 11 Madison Park, it’s a quaint bistro. I find it disheartening to read a review where a delicatessen or gastro pub receives the same acclaim as a fine dining or even casual fine dining establishment. I don’t think the rating matches the experience and is unfair to the restaurants attempting to reach the highest of praise. I have no problem with a glowing review, tell me that you loved it, the atmosphere was amazing and that you’ll return bringing friends from out of town, or recommend everyone make a trip to the location. It bothers me when a sandwich gets the same accolades as a well thought out menu with intricate technique, an amazing wine, beer and cocktail list, a present and knowledgeable wait staff and an atmosphere to match.
I’ll regret this tomorrow…
PreviousNext