Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Rosemary infused smoked local honey

by Ken B » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Posted this on the restaurant forum where I thought it might get more traction, but wanted to double up over here, since I thought this is the more apropos:

We just brought this on and it's so good, I had to post it here.

http://tinyurl.com/az5bqpe

We're slowly expanding our food offerings, and hope to bring on more Smoking Goose meats soon, come by and check us out!

http://tinyurl.com/bk4t6v8
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

Re: Rosemary infused smoked local honey

by Doug Davis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 am

That stuff is AMAZING. I have been buying it straight from the maker, but its good to know you carry it as well Ken.

I did a bourbon and honey glazed braised Boston pork butt that was simply out of this damn world. The smokiness and sweetness it added to the meat was heavenly.
I have also used it for glazing crispy duck, which I did for Christmas day dinner this year. That was amazing as well!
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:27 am

Doug,
Any chance of getting the recipe for that pork butt? My husband will be forever in your debt... :wink:
Deb
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 am

Deb,

Would love to share it with you but I cook by taste versus by recipe, so usually just pull what I have from the pantry and go. About the only time I menu plan and have a set recipe is for company or family, like the venison wellington I did for Christmas Eve dinner.

And now that Im remembering it was roasted not braised. Anyway here are the general steps.
Basically brined it over night in salt water with cumin and fennel seed, apple cider vinegar (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water enough to cover boston butt) and bay leaves. Dump the brining fuild and allow the butt to reach room temperature on the counter.
Rubbed it down with a coarse smoked sea salt and garlic. Set the oven to 300 degrees and leave it in there for about 5 hours (if a 6 pound or so butt).
Combine the bourbon (about a cup) and the smoked honey together (couple of tablespoons to taste), and reduce to thicken it on the stove top. You arent looking for caramel here, just a thick liquid.
For the last hour baste the butt about every 15 mins with the bourbon and honey.

You want an internal temp of about 160-170. Pull it out and allow it to rest on the counter while you keep basting with bourbon and honey. A nice crust should have developed.
You can shred or carefully slice for serving.

The people who make the honey also make this extremely spicy mustard. I also did a butt with that as a rub, it came out amazing as well.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks, Doug!! I also have some excellent smoked sea salt that's looking to be used. Looks like a winner- and now I have an excuse to drive over to The Wine Market :D
Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Sorry I'll miss you Deb - I'm taking my kids down to see their grandparents for my Mom's birthday.
The Wine Market
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 pm

PS, we have their Bourbon mustard as well, and though it has some kick, I wouldn't call it extremely spicy, so perhaps Doug is referring to one of their other mustards. They did admit to some batch variation (something they are working on) and that the mustard seed needs some time to "settle down" so they have been holding back subsequent batches.
The Wine Market
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Ken B wrote:PS, we have their Bourbon mustard as well, and though it has some kick, I wouldn't call it extremely spicy, so perhaps Doug is referring to one of their other mustards. They did admit to some batch variation (something they are working on) and that the mustard seed needs some time to "settle down" so they have been holding back subsequent batches.

Yeah this was some other mustard they did with herbs in it. HOT! :shock:
I eat, therefore I am.