Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's SuperChef's review

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:46 pm

SuperChef's Builds Memorable Breakfast
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

Every now and then you'll encounter an idea so simple, yet so brilliant, that you'll suck in your breath and think, "Wow! I wish I had thought of that!" And when such a bright idea concerns breakfast, it's hard to see how things could get any better than that.

So say hello to SuperChef's Breakfast, and a big tip of the old fedora to innovators Darnell Ferguson and Ryan Bryson, who came up with a creative way to jump from an award-winning culinary-school career to running their own restaurant, without all the capital expenses and costs and deal-making that such an entrepreneurial effort usually requires.

The secret is so simple that it makes you go "Whoa!" They've made a simple arrangement with two local eateries that didn't normally open until lunch time. The "SuperChefs" come in and open the doors for breakfast, cook delicious morning meals for happy diners, and then get themselves out of the way so their host restaurant operators can start lunch business as usual at midday.

They launched the first SuperChef's last summer, adding a morning shift to Chicago Gyros on Lower Brownsboro Road Wednesday through Saturday mornings and all day Sundays. More recently, they moved in, then participated in a remake and major expansion of the lunch counter at Seafood Connection in Chenoweth Square, where they do breakfast Wednesdays through Sundays.

No, they don't make gyros; nor do they do seafood. SuperChef's has its own distinct personality, and it shouts "Welcome happy morning!"

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/super ... -breakfast

and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... eakfast-2/

SuperChef's Breakfast
http://superchefsbreakfast.com

In Chicago Gyros
2317 Brownsboro Road
895-3270

In Seafood Connection
3941 Chenoweth Square
899-5655
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's SuperChef's review

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 am

Did the UofL location inside Cluckers go belly up already?
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 am

I have heard numerous people on this forum...people who's opinions I respect and hold in high regard (Marsha, Robin, etc.) sing Superchef's praises. However, my experiences have been merely so-so. I tried to go to the lower Brownsboro location twice. Never got in due to lack of seating and only a single high-chair that was already in use. No worries, we will catch you next weekend. The second time, I would guess that the temp in the building was hovering near or above 80 degrees...unless I am doing hot yoga or near a pool, that's a bit warm for me. Eventually we went to the Seafood Connection location, and I found the food mediocre. The intent and inspiration were obvious, but execution feel short. Sandwiches were just OK...both bacon and sausage tasted sweet, as if it had been dragged through syrup just before plating. The red velvet pancakes tasted more like cake and were not very moist or fluffy. The food seemed rushed and lacked the QC that others have described. We sat on the patio and service was slow and spotty.

Maybe I will give them another try, as it sounds as if some kinks have been worked out, but that will be difficult with choices like silver dollar, highland morning, wild eggs, bristol to choose from.

Thanks. DD
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree with Derrick. We had a terrible experience a few months ago and won't go back. Derrick, just an FYI, the bacon is candied. Too bad there's not another bacon option. It was disgusting on my sandwich. Husband had your same compliant about the RV pancakes. And while wide-mouthed coffee cups look oh so European, all that surface cools the coffee faster.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Did the UofL location inside Cluckers go belly up already?

Got right past me ... I didn't even know about it. It's not mentioned on their website, though.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:55 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Did the UofL location inside Cluckers go belly up already?

Got right past me ... I didn't even know about it. It's not mentioned on their website, though.

Maybe it's gone, then. I think it WAS on their site when they opened it.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:07 pm

We ate breakfast there yesterday, and they confirmed that the UofL location is closed.

They're also playing around with the menu a bit. Two of the new items I remember on the menu are sweet potato waffles and an eggs on flatbread item. Also, when I ordered my bacon/egg/cheese on a croissant sandwich they offered either sweet or apple-smoked bacon. The server also mentioned that for other dishes they'll also substitute a regular breakfast sausage for their slightly sweet/cajun homemade version and veggies for the hash browns if requested.

In response to the comments up-thread (I guess I count as an "etc." in the conversation), we've never had a bad experience at Superchef's. We generally go first thing in the morning, and don't have the waits that come with showing up during the rush. Also, tastes vary, and we tend to embrace restaurants that cook food that's different than what we can make at home. But it has to be good, and that's been our experience here.

There are other restaurants that we visit for brekkie on a semi-regular basis, since variety is truly the spice of life.

Here's our current list:
  • Superchef's (hell, we can walk there)
  • Highland morning (especially the baja benedict)
  • North End Cafe (good, hearty food)
  • Waffle House (our guilty pleasure)
  • The Late Lynn's Paradise Cafe (at least once a year, usually with visitors)
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Steve A wrote:[*]North End Cafe (good, hearty food)

Did you go to the Frankfort or Bardstown or both?
We became fans when we first went to the Frankfort location. But the Bardstown Rd location is closer to us so we started going there. The menu was the same but the taste wasnt. Bardstown tastes bland compared to Frankfort Rd.
Other friends of ours have noticed the same thing.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Barbara A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

St. Matthews

by Barbara A » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 am

Doug Davis wrote:
Did you go to the Frankfort or Bardstown or both?

We go to the North End Cafe on Frankfurt Ave. It is closer to home. We have not been to the Bardstown location so we could not compare. We will travel for food we find good but when it is right near us...all the better.
If you can't cope you can always cook
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 am

Steve A wrote:We ate breakfast there yesterday, and they confirmed that the UofL location is closed.

They're also playing around with the menu a bit. Two of the new items I remember on the menu are sweet potato waffles and an eggs on flatbread item. Also, when I ordered my bacon/egg/cheese on a croissant sandwich they offered either sweet or apple-smoked bacon. The server also mentioned that for other dishes they'll also substitute a regular breakfast sausage for their slightly sweet/cajun homemade version and veggies for the hash browns if requested.

In response to the comments up-thread (I guess I count as an "etc." in the conversation), we've never had a bad experience at Superchef's. We generally go first thing in the morning, and don't have the waits that come with showing up during the rush. Also, tastes vary, and we tend to embrace restaurants that cook food that's different than what we can make at home. But it has to be good, and that's been our experience here.

There are other restaurants that we visit for brekkie on a semi-regular basis, since variety is truly the spice of life.

Here's our current list:
  • Superchef's (hell, we can walk there)
  • Highland morning (especially the baja benedict)
  • North End Cafe (good, hearty food)
  • Waffle House (our guilty pleasure)
  • The Late Lynn's Paradise Cafe (at least once a year, usually with visitors)

This is why I love getting reviews from this forum... Previous posters listed specific problems with their visits and Steve was nice enough to inquire about them on his next visit there and report back . I benefit from some well grounded information and am able to make up my own mind if its worth a visit. Thank you Robin G, Robin F , Steve and everyone else that is involved in the process.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 am

Just an update - I was trying to figure out if any of the SuperChef's locations were still open, and from their (new) website it looks like the guys have packed up and moved to Columbus, where they've opened their own breakfast place.

http://mysuperchefs.com/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Just an update - I was trying to figure out if any of the SuperChef's locations were still open, and from their (new) website it looks like the guys have packed up and moved to Columbus, where they've opened their own breakfast place.

http://mysuperchefs.com/

Yeah, I saw something about them opening in Columbus, but assumed it was in addition to rather than instead of. Thinking about it, though, both of their prior host locations have gone belly up ... but I thought they were moving into more permanent quarters in St Matthews someplace. Shows what I know ... :oops:
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm

We had breakfast there last Saturday.

They're still in St. Matthews at 307 Wallace Ave, down the line from Simply Thai. In front is an antiques store, and at the back is their restaurant.

I'm pretty sure they serve breakfast and lunch. According to Darnell (who I believe is the owner), they've been doing pretty well at that location.

Food was great as always.

I believe they have a facebook presence.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 am

Oh, that's good to know. Thanks, Steve!
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 am

Thanks to this thread, we stopped by today. Great food and the new location is the best they've had.

Thumbs up!