Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Fennel

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Fennel

by Carla G » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:48 am

I am on a fennel/anise/licorice kick. Does anyone have any recipes using a fennel bulb? I'm thinking grilled fennel or something like that. Not talking about fennel or anise seed flavored dishes, but rather the actual bulb. I can find the recipes on line but I would like some first hand recommendations from the forum (you've never steered me wrong!) or some cooking tips.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: Fennel

by Gayle DeM » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:59 am

This is a recipe that I used a few years back at Thanksgiving. Loved the touch of rosemary. If you need some fresh rosemary, I can bring some on Sunday. I'm sure you could halve it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Yukon-Gold-and-Fennel-Puree-with-Rosemary-Butter-350476

Here is one that I made last year about this time. I haven't made it again this year, but it is on my "round-to-it" list: http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/soups/7380.html
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm a bit obcessed with fennel. I slice it and roast it at 450 for 30 minutes or so. It great on pasta with some garlic and oil, and with almost any kind of potato. My go to easy dinner is a baked potato and roasted fennel. It also makes a wonderful soup though you do have to strain it.
I have found the best price for fennel by far is Trader Joes- 2 heads for $2.49
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Gary sort of beat me to it, but I was going to suggest roasting also. Cut the bulb into chunks toss in oil, salt & pepper and roast in one layer on a baking sheet for about 30 minutes at 400 or until they get nicely caramelized on the outside, creamy within. I think it's best to do this in combination with chunks of onion, and potato, but you could ceratinly go all fennel if you wanted to.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Great! I knew I could count on you guys. Many thanks.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 pm

I shave it thin, then quick pickle it. 3:1 raw sugar/kosher salt, sprinkle it all over, let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, drain it and you have a basis for a salad, or a cold pasta dish.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Oooooh... That sounds yummy!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 am

This thread inspired me to a new fennel trick last night. Basically it was a fennel and onion risotto, which is good enough. But this time I roasted the cubed fennel and onions first, tossed with olive oil and s&p and roasted 20 minutes at 400, then used as the risotto veggies. Over the top!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Ken B wrote:I shave it thin, then quick pickle it. 3:1 raw sugar/kosher salt, sprinkle it all over, let it sit for about 15-20 minutes, drain it and you have a basis for a salad, or a cold pasta dish.

Took me forever to get around to trying this but I finally did and it was sooooo good! I think i must have added it to 4 or 5 different salads. Wonderful. Thanks Ken!
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 am

I dont think you can find a better use for fennel than in making mussels with an ouzo and cream sauce.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:52 am

Doug Davis wrote:I dont think you can find a better use for fennel than in making mussels with an ouzo and cream sauce.

Doug would you have a link to a recipe by any chance?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 am

BTW I added some of Ken's quick pickled fennel to a bunch of re-fried rice with green onions and celery and it was a knock out!