Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

GE Appliance Park in Atlantic article on insourcing

by DanB » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: GE Appliance Park in Atlantic article on insourcing

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 pm

That is a good story, and long. I only had time to skim it just now, but it appears to be well worth a longer read.

The one thing I didn't see in it, however, unless I skipped over it, was the role that high-tech robotics played in the decline of employment at Appliance Park. The conventional wisdom locally has it that robotics had more to do with the empty parking lots than outsourcing did.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:40 pm

GE figures prominently in the nation-wide erosion of employee pay and benefits over the past decade (and beyond)...Their success in robbing their workers of retirement benefits, while simultaneously evading income tax is legendary.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162- ... -benefits/

http://www.amazon.com/Retirement-Heist- ... 1591843332
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Steve P wrote:GE figures prominently in the nation-wide erosion of employee pay and benefits over the past decade (and beyond)...Their success in robbing their workers of retirement benefits, while simultaneously evading income tax is legendary.

Jack Welch is a hero to the MBA set. To the people who work for him, not so much. Meanwhile, a brand once known for quality now sells crap.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote:GE figures prominently in the nation-wide erosion of employee pay and benefits over the past decade (and beyond)...Their success in robbing their workers of retirement benefits, while simultaneously evading income tax is legendary.

Jack Welch is a hero to the MBA set. To the people who work for him, not so much. Meanwhile, a brand once known for quality now sells crap.

Jack Welch doesn’t work there anymore. He left GE in 2001.

From the linked article:

Appliance Park will end this year with 3,600 hourly employees—1,700 more than last year, an increase of more than 90 percent. The facility hasn’t had this many assembly-line workers in a decade. GE has also hired 500 new designers and engineers since 2009, to support the new manufacturing.

Do you two really think those 1700 hourly employees referenced would like to see the jobs go back to China?

Appliance Park does indeed now have a two-tiered wage structure and the entry level wages are less than they used to be. The union was part of the negotiation and agreed to the current arrangement. You can call it “erosion of employee pay and benefits”. Actually, though, it’s a right-sizing of pay and benefits to match the skills required and the realities of the global marketplace. (see also GM, Hostess and the Camden, NJ police force). That right-sizing, as well as the recent recognition that quality improves when manufacturing is done in concert with designers (ie: in the US), is bringing manufacturing jobs back to the States.

As to the quality issue, Robin, I disagree with your statement that GE “sells crap”. I know you have had issues with your high-end range, as you indicated on the WineLovers Page:
Robin Garr wrote:We bought a high-end GE range a few years ago and have been awfully disappointed. It seems like a pretty appliance designed to be put into showplace McMansions for people who never cook. Seriously, if you get GE - and in our opinion, the company lost a lot of quality under the (in?)famous Jack Welch - don't bother with the top-of-the-line stuff.

I have found the quality of a recently purchased GE refrigerator, Advantium oven, and warming drawer to be very good and I have been satisfied with them.

You realize that all efforts associated with GE Appliances occur here, including product development, design, most manufacturing (now increasing), sales and marketing. You do an extreme disservice to your neighbors (those whose jobs you claim you want to protect) by making such a blanket statement.

Here’s a thought: why don’t you be part of the solution to the problem you believe exists? You are an accomplished home cook and you have an international following. GE might be genuinely interested in your feedback, might incorporate some of your suggestions and resolve your complaints into their range design and manufacturing, and would probably prefer you as an advocate rather than a detractor. Why don’t you get in touch with them? Several years ago they hired Chef Joe Castro to work in the appliance division – I’m assuming to demonstrate the products and consult on their development. Would you be interested in contacting him and offering your suggestions?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:29 pm

You make good points, Jay. We are pretty upset about our GE range, and Mary keeps reminding me when i forget. :oops:

Still, I do believe Welch is pretty much a poster boy for short-term balance sheet thinking during his era. If GE is bouncing back, more power to 'em. No, I don't want to see local jobs go away. Far from it.