Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Lavender Oil

no avatar
User

Aaron W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Louisville

Lavender Oil

by Aaron W » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Hey folks!

I'm currently infusing sunflower oil. I'm doing a garlic and rosemary right now through the hot infusion method.

I have lavender I want to infuse but I'm not sure what method is preferred. I've googled it and I can't find more than one "legit" source on a proper method. To be safe I should just do a cold infusion, yes? I want to know if a hot infusion will work just as well.

Thanks!
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Lavender Oil

by Ken B » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

If it were me I would try a warm infusion. What are you worried about? Damaging the delicate notes of the lavender with heat? Or some kind of health concern? Lavender is like most herbs, the active compounds are oils, and you will get more flavor and aroma with some heat in youe process.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Lavender Oil

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Aaron,
If you have success, could you post your process on here? I love lavender and making my own oil sounds like a great idea! My oils thus far have largely been limited to basil, rosemary and mixed herbs.
Thanks-
Deb