Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: What's cooking?

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Halloween night tradition- Amy's slow cooked marinara, with meatballs and spaghetti. Salad of Farmer's market lettuce with the last of the season's tomatoes. Constant interruptions with trick- or-treaters - still great!
Deb
no avatar
User

Jay T

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:35 pm

New Albany

by Jay T » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi guys - this is my first post to LHB and I'm excited to be here! I wanted to share a recipe that I found recently and have already made again. Brunswick Stew is a Southern dish. This one has the addition of brisket. The first time I made it I used brisket that I found at Kroger. Though not a chili, I took it to a chili party and everyone loved it ... next time I went to Feast BBQ and got a pound of theirs. Oh, my!!! Give it a shot, I bet you like it.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-brisket-brunswick-stew-50400000116215/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Jay T wrote:Hi guys - this is my first post to LHB and I'm excited to be here! I wanted to share a recipe that I found recently and have already made again. Brunswick Stew is a Southern dish. ...

Welcome, Jay! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Weekends aren't time off in my other day job. ;) Tis looks good, though. I've always felt that there's a close kinship between Low Country Brunswick stew and Kentucky burgoo. Your thoughts? Anyone?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Tortilla Española.

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:17 pm

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Jay T wrote:
Hi guys - this is my first post to LHB and I'm excited to be here! I wanted to share a recipe that I found recently and have already made again. Brunswick Stew is a Southern dish. ...

Welcome, Jay! Sorry I didn't respond earlier. Weekends aren't time off in my other day job. Tis looks good, though. I've always felt that there's a close kinship between Low Country Brunswick stew and Kentucky burgoo. Your thoughts? Anyone?

And thene there is Minnesota or Upper Midwaet Booya that is very close to Kentucky burgoo as well.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Booya?? Sounds like the send up to a joke. :wink: You're kidding- right Gayle?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Thomas Keller's Simple Roast chicken ( my 8 year old declares this the best dinner ever)
Roasted Butternut Squash drizzled with Maple Syrup
Roasted Garlic Mashed potatoes
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 am

by Deb Hall » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Booya?? Sounds like the send up to a joke. You're kidding- right Gayle?

No, I'm not kidding, Deb. I ate many-a bowl of booya or booyah back in my MN days. The first time I had burgoo back in '76 I immediately thought of its resemblence to booya.

Here is an article that might explain it a bit http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m1223F05.htm

Gayle
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Mary made a light dinner of sticks, seeds and twigs. It's good, though! A slaw of organic red quinoa, sunflower seeds and black sesame seeds with thin-sliced fresh cabbage and sweet onions and Kumato tomatoes in a sesame-lemon vinaigrette.

User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am

"Ramen": fresh pasta in mushroom/dashi broth, crisped county ham, kimchi, soft duck egg, crisped mustard greens, tare'. Paired beautifully with North Coast Le Merle Saison.

ramen.jpg
ramen.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 27068 times

Way too much going on here, but still good. Veal sweetbreads, sunchokes, celery root hash with shichimi togarashi & nori flakes, pickled and fresh radish, sauteed shitake, celery leaf and black garlic. North Coast Le Merle Saison in the glass.

salad.jpg
salad.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 27068 times

Vanilla gelato with cracked black pepper, passionfruit sorbet and peppermint ice cream garnished with fresh basil and sliced serrano.

dessert.jpg
dessert.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 27068 times
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 pm

This might seem a little like Weird Fusion, but it crossed my mind tonight to stir a little leftover TJ's organic red quinoa into a simple mushroom risotto. I have to tell you that it exceeded expectations, kicking both texture and flavor up a notch. I'll definitely work with the combination of rice and red quinoa again.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Spaghetti alla carbonara!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Aloo Patta Ghobi, Indian-style cabbage with onions and potatoes.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Fresh fennel and onion cream with fennel pollen and Pecorino Romano on corn-quinoa linguine. No judgin' on the offbeat pasta,please! ;) I was checking it out so I can competently respond to people with gluten-free food questions. (It actually tastes very much like the real thing, but requires very frequent stirring for the first few minutes as it tends to stick together.)

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Robin, it looks as if you've been doing quite a bit of meat free cooking. (And it all looks so yummy!) how is it agreeing with you body wise, or is it?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
PreviousNext