Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Amsterdam or Brussels? Decisions, decisions....

by Mike Hardin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Deb Hall wrote:WhooHoo! Tickets booked to Amsterdam, then train to Dusseldorf. I have the weekend in Amsterdam, then the conference in Dusseldorf for 4 days ( i might be able to get a couple of good dinners there but unfortunately very little sightseeing.). Now I need to start researching places!

Thanks all for the input- I'm starting to get very excited! ( in between trying to get one off to college and one to a new elementary school :wink: ).

Deb

When you go to Dusseldorf, definitely get yourself to Nordmann's Eisfrabrik. Possibly the best ice cream I've ever had but get there early so you can have your pick of flavors. When they run out, they're out for the day. Also go to Ueriger for some delicious alt beer and a mettbroschen. If you have time, a friend of mine does English tours of the arts and music scene. Her name is Caroline West and here's her blog - http://rhinebuzz.blogspot.com/
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks, Mike!! I've been so busy, I haven't had time to think about this trip ( in 4 weeks) . Your input is getting me stoked all over again. :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

No problem. This is what I posted re: Amsterdam -

You definitely need to try Upstairs.

Upstairs Pannenkoekenhuis
Grimburgwal 2
1012 GA Amsterdam

Billed as the smallest restaurant in Europe and it was fantastic. Hard to find because it is really small but well worth the climb. And other than that, Moeders (Mothers) is really good, down-home cooking. Take a picture of your mother with you and if there's any room left (there was still a blank bit last July) you can pin it on their wall. And if you like candy at all, the place I mentioned has many things besides licorice. Other than those things, just start walking. The Jordaan is a pretty awesome neighborhood so maybe start there. I'm not very well traveled but Amsterdam has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Your trip sounds very much like mine: 2.5 days in Amsterdam and 5 in Neuss just outside Düsseldorf. One more place you may want to try is in the town square in Neuss. It's an Italian place called Trattoria Emiliana and it's fantastic.

Have fun on your trip. I just read all my notes from my trip last year and now I'm very jealous. :D
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Mike,

Do you remember how accessible Neuss is from Dusseldorf? Once in Dusseldorf I'l be working non-stop, but I may be able to carve out sometime for myself the last night. The rest of my team will have left by then.

Any memorable restaurants in Dusseldorf? I need to plan 3 "client entertaining dinners".

Deb
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 am

Neuss is just across the Rhine. Maybe a 15 minute drive but I talked to my friends there and theypve given me the rundown. Here's the scoop:

"Düsseldorf : Robert's Bistro, expensive but worth the money. If she wants a table, she should get there before 7. They don't take reservations.

Another option is Shabby Chic. Just down the street from Roberts, less expensive, but also smaller portions, just as good. They take reservations.

And, Sila Thai, in a completely different location, just as expensive as Roberts. They also take reservations. You have to have reservations at them.

I can't recommend one restaurant in the Altstadt. They are all mediocre.

Emiliana is good if you're in Neuss."

I was supposed to eat at Robert's when I was there and we didn't make it. My friend was very disappointed because she really wanted me to get to eat there. I did get to Shabby Chic which is fantastic. It's tucked away in a courtyard and has outdoor and indoor seating. If the weather is nice, you have to sit outside.

Hope that helps.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike Hardin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm

How was your trip?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Mike-

Too funny- I was thinking last night that I had to post something, but I've been so busy... :lol:

Trip was fantastic! ( though I barely saw Dusseldorf- business the whole time). My 36 hours in Amsterdam were mostly spent walking and then bike- riding the canals ( I got horribly lost- twice, but that added to the adventure :D ). I went to Anne Frank House and the Tulip Museum, unfortunately no time for the art museums. I bought Tulip bulbs and fantastic aged Goudas ( over 4 kilos :wink: ). I found an outstanding restaurant outside the downtown area- Wilde Zwijnen- on a recommendfation from Mark Bittman: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... vince.html . Loved this place- ordered their 3 course tasting, sitting next to the open kitchen and enjoyed every morsel.

The only part of Dusseldorf I saw was the Altstadt which was great for walking around ( I was staying at the Arena hotel far from anything- literally). I ate the first night with colleagues at a " famous" touristy German Drinking Hall place ( their choice not mine- meh). On my solo night, I actually found a great Italian place down one of the alleys- A Travoli. Noisy and crowded ( like a real trattoria), the staff is all Italian and the food was authentic & great. I wish we had a place like this in Louisville....

Deb
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Amsterdam visit Oct 2014

Tales and Spirits. http://www.talesandspirits.com/

Go for food, not just the cocktails. Rarely does a hipsterish place win me over and they did. Alaskan crab Bitterballen. Nom-nom.

Slightly pricey. Highly recommended.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:27 pm

I would see a city, then go somewhere else for a REAL experience. I agree, Amsterdam has lost the charm. Beyond the museums and history, it is pretty dirty, crowded, covered in graffiti and filled with Muslims. My husband was there when Van Gogh's grandson was stabbed by extremists. A horrible weekend,

We visit Europe nearly every year and I understand the differences in racial and religious populations which have divided European cities over the years.You can contact me personally, btw. Do the city, then get the heck out of there and experience the beauty of the country and the warmth of the people.
Previous