Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Vanilla

User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Vanilla

by Lois Mauk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't do much baking but I do use Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste. I got mine from Lorann Gourmet through Amazon.com.

1 Tbsp. of vanilla bean paste = 1 vanilla bean
1 tsp. of vanilla bean paste = 1 tsp. vanilla extract

LorAnn’s finest Pure Vanilla Extract uses only the best vanilla beans grown on the islands of Madagascar. Also known as "bourbon vanilla" these beans are aged to perfection on the vine to produce a rich, creamy, smooth flavor that blends beautifully with a variety of food.

Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste -- http://www.amazon.com/LorAnn-Extracts-N ... Bean+Paste

Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste -- http://www.amazon.com/Nielsen-Massey-Va ... Bean+Paste
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Carol C wrote:Cathy (Webb) Frederick--Cathy's Designer Cookies-- just posted a blurb on her FB page about vanilla. Cathy has taught many cookie making and decorating classes at Cooking at the Cottage and I can attest that her cookies are fabulous! She said she uses the Nielson-Massey vanilla. Also, she talks about a product called vanilla paste available at Cooking at the Cottage. I haven't tried it but certainly will be!

Tried to provide the link? If it doesn't work just search for Cathy's Designer Cookies on FB.
http://www.facebook.com/CathysCookies?ref=stream

Carla-
See- told ya! :wink: :D
Deb

And this is why I go to you guys for info!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:19 pm

My mom swears by the Bourbon Barrel vanilla extract you can get at Rainbow Blossom or from Grasshoppers Distribution. I haven't personally tried it yet.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:17 pm

NUTS N STUFF, 1000 Barret Ave. LOCALLY owned family operation. He has fine high grade vanilla.

And you can get all you other cooking ingredients at the same time.

Just Saying,

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Kari L wrote:My mom swears by the Bourbon Barrel vanilla extract you can get at Rainbow Blossom or from Grasshoppers Distribution. I haven't personally tried it yet.

Kari,
I love the Bourbon Barrel vanilla extract too, but use it in recipes where the very slight bourbon flavor will enhance my recipes ( it's aged in KY bourbon barrels- not the same As the Madgascar vanilla sometimes referred to as Bourbon Vanilla. ) Locally made by Bourbon Barrel Foods but now available nationwide - I've seen their products highly rated in several cooking magazines- very cool!
Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Carla,

Correction- I saw the Nielsen Massey Bourbon Vanilla I use at Earth Fare ( Summit) last night. I bet that's where I saw it before- rather than Trader Joe.

Did you ever buy your vanilla?

Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Not yet. Went into a trader Joes today to get it and got so distracted by other things I or got why I was there in the first place. :oops: I'll pick one of the suggested brands up as I get closer to baking time.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I know how that goes... :wink:

Okay- if you do go to EarthFare to find it, it's kind of in a weird place. There is a baking ingredients freestanding display by the juices/ dairy products. It's in there. So far, all the employees there have been very helpful, I'm guessing you can just ask them too.

Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:20 pm

Cool, thanks!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:32 am

Wound up with small bottles of Neilson-Massey and another of Langsdon (UK). Will let you how it goes.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Just to get back with what I thought re the 2 vanillas. Picked up...
Loved the Neilson-Massey but the Langsdon from UK, not so much. It has a somewhat bitter back bite which kind of defeats why I like vanilla to begin with. I like that round, creaminess that vanilla usually adds. So now I know. Thanks again for the advice.
Previous