Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Bruschetta

no avatar
User

TeriCP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Louisville Highlands

Bruschetta

by TeriCP » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am

My tomato crop this year is phenomenal... Have made salsa, sauce, etc, etc...

Now I am looking for a really good bruschetta recipe.. Does anyone have a tried and true version they would not mind sharing??
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bruschetta

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 am

Teri, I don't really have one written down, but basically, when you're dealing with the great tomatoes of high summer, from your garden or farmers' market, it's best to keep things simple and enjoy their natural goodness.

Using plum tomatoes if you have them, or any good, meaty ripe tomato, dice them - if you're a true perfectionist, you can peel them and squeeze out the seeds and juice first, but it'll be fine if you skip that step. Mince a little garlic and onion and mix it in. Again, for perfection, I like to gently sautee this in a little olive oil first, not to brown but just translucent, to mellow the flavor. Stir the olive oil, garlic and onions in to the tomatoes, add a little salt and pepper, a little chopped fresh basil if you have it, and let them steep for a few minutes while you prep the bread.

Using Italian bread (or a Blue Dog baguette!), slice into long diagonals 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Rub one side with a smashed garlic clove, then toast them - using a cookie sheet in a hot oven if you have a lot - and drizzle with a little olive oil, the best you've got. Then spoon up dollops of the tomato mixture, letting any extra liquid drain off first. Serve and enjoy!

You can also use the very same tomato mix for a quick summer pasta, "salsa cruda." Make a batch of it. Then cook some spaghetti, drain it, portion it into warm bowls, and quickly dress the hot pasta with some of the tomatoes and their juice. Serve immediately and enjoy while the pasta is still warm.
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

Re: Bruschetta

by Madi D » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Teri,
Here is a link to a recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I've made a ton of her recipes and they are always delicious!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/01/bruschetta/