Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Jams jellies

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Jams jellies

by Carla G » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 am

Popped into the local farmers shop in Crestwood yesterday to pick up some tomatoes (some that actually look like tomatoes not something made from fiberglass) and ran across some preserves from a Hollad, Ky producer called Spring Valley. I'm always looking for something other than the usual grape or strawberry for my morning toast. They had one labeled FROG (figs, raspberries, oranges, ginger) and man is it tasty! Also bought a pear preserves which was very delicate. Almost too delicate as it came off as just being sweet and not too peary. But the FROG stuff was the bomb. Gonna make cookies with it.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Jams jellies

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Ooooh- thanks for the lead Carla. Definitely sounds like my kind of jam! Where's the shop in Crestwood- I may need to stop-by this weekend.
:D
Deb
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:12 pm

It's called Rhoders Market I think. Right by the railroad tracks. Go down Old Brownsboro (hwy 22) until it turns into hwy 146. (at the light at Walgreens & the Crestwood supermarket) go straight to the next stop sign. It's on the right on the corner. Offers vegetables and plants.
Enjoy!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

I know the place, Carla. I get apple cider from Hubers there in season. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Taylor Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

by Taylor Rich » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:01 pm

I think the place is named Reardon's.

I (reluctantly) moved outside the Watterson to Crestwood last year and complained to my husband about the lack of decent produce options on a regular basis. I discovered Reardon's a few months ago and have been pleasantly surprised. Everything is fresh and they have some interesting local finds. Not as expansive as say a Paul's but better than nothing. The guy that owns it is also really helpful and has often thrown in a few extra goodies at no cost.

I still complain about the lack of fresh seafood so my husband isn't completely off the hook yet.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:39 pm

That's it, Reardon's!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Taylor Rich wrote:I think the place is named Reardon's.

I (reluctantly) moved outside the Watterson to Crestwood last year and complained to my husband about the lack of decent produce options on a regular basis. I discovered Reardon's a few months ago and have been pleasantly surprised. Everything is fresh and they have some interesting local finds. Not as expansive as say a Paul's but better than nothing. The guy that owns it is also really helpful and has often thrown in a few extra goodies at no cost.

I still complain about the lack of fresh seafood so my husband isn't completely off the hook yet.

Taylor,

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you been to Earth Fare yet? It just opened at the Summit so it's close to Crestwood. I haven't eaten their seafood yet, but they do have a good selection and it looked very fresh.

Deb
no avatar
User

Taylor Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

by Taylor Rich » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I haven't checked out Earth Fare yet, but I've heard good things from neighbors/friends. Honestly, I rarely go near The Summit area because it's kind of a hassle and nothing there draws me in. I usually hit Fresh Market for meat and seafood since it's right off the exit and then hop back on 71.

Deb/Carla, have either of you tried Crestwood Meats? I've heard mixed reviews from the neighbors but I've never stopped in to check it out.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:17 am

Taylor Rich wrote:I haven't checked out Earth Fare yet, but I've heard good things from neighbors/friends. Honestly, I rarely go near The Summit area because it's kind of a hassle and nothing there draws me in. I usually hit Fresh Market for meat and seafood since it's right off the exit and then hop back on 71.

Deb/Carla, have either of you tried Crestwood Meats? I've heard mixed reviews from the neighbors but I've never stopped in to check it out.

(shamefaced) I've driven past it (as well as the little sample shoe store/repair next door) but never dropped in. I sometimes use the Crestwood supermarket although it seems to have been going through an identity crisis for the last few years. I use the Chinese carry out restaurant behind th mcDonalds , the Crestwood Radiator Repair garage and the library. Other than that I haven't found too many stores to frequent in the area. For me at least.