Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Pittsburgh?

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Pittsburgh?

by Deb Hall » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Heading to Pittsburgh ( actually Monroeville PA) for a conference in two weeks, and I may be able to sneak in one or two two dinners while I'm there. Any suggestions?

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Pittsburgh?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

If you're feeling adventurous, Deb, be sure to go someplace for a Devonshire sandwich, and see whether it really is identical to a Hot Brown. Interestingly, it stems from a similar era and boasts a similar story about its origin.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Any place that has perogies, especially if they are Polish. Most of the places i remember growing up are gone, but perogies are forever. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm

The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Deb - here's a link to my recommendations from working in the Canonsburg/Pittsburgh area for over a month last year.

viewtopic.php?=5&t=16528&p=130213&hilit=pittsburgh#p128049

Most of the spots are south of Pittsburgh in the Canonsburg/Washington area.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks, guys!

Ken- I did the Primanti Bros thing when I was there 2 years ago but forgot all about it. I'm seeing there is actually one in Monroeville- I'll definitely go again for lunch if I can sneak out of the conference facility.

Brad- I totally forgot about that thread- thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see how close Monroeville is to the area where you stayed. Your recommendations have always been great for me!

Suzi- Thanks so much for the Pittsburgh Magazine link- I'll look at it this weekend. YUM- perogies are on my list. :D

Robin- Thanks for the suggestion. But the Devonshire?- What are you trying to do to my diet???? :mrgreen: :lol: :D
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Deb Hall wrote: Brad- I totally forgot about that thread- thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see how close Monroeville is to the area where you stayed. Your recommendations have always been great for me!

Well, don't expect my suburban Pittsburgh recommendations to be quite as exciting as my San Franciso recommendations, but I had some good meals at those places, and they certainly helped alleviate the pain of a project that kept me away from home for close to 10 weeks (5 of those in Pittsburgh, but if you need any recommendations for Henderson, KY, Evansville, IN, or Charleston, WV, I've got those too!).
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:
Deb Hall wrote: Brad- I totally forgot about that thread- thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see how close Monroeville is to the area where you stayed. Your recommendations have always been great for me!

Well, don't expect my suburban Pittsburgh recommendations to be quite as exciting as my San Franciso recommendations, but I had some good meals at those places, and they certainly helped alleviate the pain of a project that kept me away from home for close to 10 weeks (5 of those in Pittsburgh, but if you need any recommendations for Henderson, KY, Evansville, IN, or Charleston, WV, I've got those too!).

Ooooh, you get to travel to all the best places!.... :lol:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Coming back from another trip to Pittsburgh now and wanted to add a recommendation to this list. We had dinner at an excellent newer place in Downtown- CVD. It's called Meat+Potatoes http://meatandpotatoespgh.com; a great gastropub with excellent food and cocktails. My bone marrow app was excellent as was my pork pappardelle; my colleague swore the flat iron steak was the best he'd ever had. Nice casual jazz place next door too. :D
Deb