Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

UofL Natural Foods Class?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

UofL Natural Foods Class?

by Kim H » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Not quite sure under which forum to place this, but I wondered if anyone had ever taken UofL's Lifelong Learning class for Natural Foods to Enhance Your Health? I signed up for it today as it sounded interesting, informative, and fun, but wondered if others had any experience with it. I imagine a lot of what they will cover I am aware of, but love to get further input/knowledge, and I tend to do better in a more structured learning environment.

TIA!
Kim
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: UofL Natural Foods Class?

by Kim H » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

(and they have field trips!!! lol)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Kim H wrote:Not quite sure under which forum to place this, but I wondered if anyone had ever taken UofL's Lifelong Learning class for Natural Foods to Enhance Your Health? I signed up for it today as it sounded interesting, informative, and fun, but wondered if others had any experience with it. I imagine a lot of what they will cover I am aware of, but love to get further input/knowledge, and I tend to do better in a more structured learning environment.

I haven't, Kim, but it does sound interesting. Do you have any more detail on it? Who's teaching it? Links to online resources?
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:18 am

Hi Robin!

Here is the description and link. They also have some wine and bourbon tasting classes that look interesting, which I may take in the future:

Natural Foods to Enhance Your Health

Nearly all fast foods, most packaged and bottled foods, and many consumed in restaurants are altered chemically and/or extremely high in salt, sugar and/or fat. Consuming foods in forms close to the ones in which they grew naturally is recommended for optimum health and nutrition. This class features simple, natural, quick and delicious ways to prepare fresh vegetables, casseroles, soups, dried beans and grains. During field trips to conventional and natural food stores, you'll practice label reading and learn to make wise food choices that will enhance your health.

Instructor
Joyce Gerrish, M.A., graduate of National Institute of Whole Health, teacher for Holistic Wellness
Classes
10/22—11/12
4 Mondays, 6:30—8pm
$79* - #139DPC +$10 for food

http://louisville.edu/lifelonglearning/classes/food

I signed up, and hopefully can make it. Have to be out of town a lot in the upcoming months. I'll let everyone know about the experience!
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I took a class with a lady that was from NIWH and it was very interesting. She did mostly raw foods and most everything she made was done in a Vitamix. She did her class over 6 weeks and each class was for a type of food (breakfast, lunch, soups, healthy smoothies, dinner and dessert) and she tried to add in some ethnic foods too. There were a lot of things used I'd never heard of at the time, about 14 years ago, but are a bit more common place now. It was very informative and way ahead of some of the diet crazes.

My instructor was crazy about the Vitamix. She really pushed it as being the must have tool in the kitchen to do the type of cooking she was doing. She had trained at NIWH and also at a holistic school in Atlanta and one of them used the Vitamix as the main/only tool in the kitchen. While the class was really neat, at the same time it was kinda like a 6 week long infomercial for Vitamix. I finally talked my husband into one last month!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Madeline M wrote:I took a class with a lady that was from NIWH and it was very interesting. She did mostly raw foods and most everything she made was done in a Vitamix. She did her class over 6 weeks and each class was for a type of food (breakfast, lunch, soups, healthy smoothies, dinner and dessert) and she tried to add in some ethnic foods too. There were a lot of things used I'd never heard of at the time, about 14 years ago, but are a bit more common place now. It was very informative and way ahead of some of the diet crazes.

My instructor was crazy about the Vitamix. She really pushed it as being the must have tool in the kitchen to do the type of cooking she was doing. She had trained at NIWH and also at a holistic school in Atlanta and one of them used the Vitamix as the main/only tool in the kitchen. While the class was really neat, at the same time it was kinda like a 6 week long infomercial for Vitamix. I finally talked my husband into one last month!

That's hilarious, Madeline! So should I purchase a Vitamix? Or wait 14 years to talk my hubby into it? lol. What is NIWH? I could probably guess or look it up, but I didn't try either. I'm looking forward to the class. This one is only 4 weeks, but that's perfect for me at this point. I hope I learn some new things, and imagine I will. My mother-in-law is very into healthier eating, which we all should be, and between she and my sister-in-law, have introduced me to a lot of concepts/ideas, and healthier options. I've pretty much always eaten what I consider 'healthy', with knowlegeable exceptions of course (mmmmm, bacon!), but I'd like to learn how to consistently cook and prepare REALLY healthy meals for me and my sidekick. We're old. :wink: