Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Freezing Fresh Corn: Help Please

by Kim H » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Can someone advise me on how to freeze fresh corn? It's on the cob, but I believe it would be better off the cob, and I'm thinking I should par boil it first. Thoughts? TIA!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Freezing Fresh Corn: Help Please

by Kim H » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Just went with my gut, hope I did it right. Boiled the corn for about a minute and half, shocked in cold water. Shaved off the cob with a knife, and froze in individual batches in a vacuum-sealed bag. It's for my mama, so I want to do it right!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Kim H wrote:Just went with my gut, hope I did it right. Boiled the corn for about a minute and half, shocked in cold water. Shaved off the cob with a knife, and froze in individual batches in a vacuum-sealed bag. It's for my mama, so I want to do it right!

Kim, I'm sorry I didn't jump in ... I was waiting for Mary to get home. She's the freezing queen. I think your instincts are good, though. I don't think parboiling and freezing batches could hurt, although I'm trying to figure out if the parboiling is necessary or just an extra step. I'm sure it'll be fine, though. Following your instincts in cooking generally works out okay. :)

Looks like these people did almost exactly the same thing you did!
http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingcorn.htm
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

Kim,

When I freeze corn, I don't bother with parboiling. I cut the kernels off, and loose freeze in ziplock freezer bags. I also freeze some of the empty cobs- several of my corn soup/ chowder type recipes call for the cob to be used to help make the broth.

Deb
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Thank you Robin and Deb! I don't think I'll par boil moving forward, but my mom is older, and I read something about killing bacteria, so I played it safe. Seems like it will be good, and I'm glad I got some nice local corn in the freezer for her to enoy. Thanks again!