Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Chick-Fil-A under fire again

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm

We've had debates before about Chick-Fil-A's overt conservative Christianity prompting the chain to shut down on Sundays, posting signs urging everyone else to refrain from work (and, presumably, attend church) on that day. Okayfine. I find that a little pushy, but agree that it's not strong grounds for a boycott. But now the chain is trending on Twitter and Facebook and the blogosphere again over its owners' strong words against gay marriage - and the revelation that it spends millions of dollars in support of anti-gay organizations.

To me, that changes the equation: I'm even more strongly inclined to withhold my dollars from a situation in which some of them are likely to be channeled directly to organizations like the Marriage & Family Foundation, that has been called a "hate group."

What do you think? Is Chick-Fil-A a no-go zone for you, or do those tasty poultry sliders and waffle fries still call your name?

Dan Cathy, the president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, said in a radio interview this week that same-sex marriage is “inviting God’s judgment on our nation.”

Appearing on “The Ken Coleman Show,” Cathy spoke of his company’s pride in its socially conservative character, but then offered an assessment of same-sex marriage that might lose the popular fast food chain a few customers.

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” said Cathy.

“I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we would have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is all about,” he added.

The Huffington Post reports that in 2010 Chick-fil-A, through its WinShape Foundation, donated approximately $2 million to groups that oppose same-sex marriage, most notably giving $1,188,380 to the Marriage & Family Foundation. In 2009 the company also reportedly donated $2 million to such groups.

Cathy is the son of the company’s founder and chairman, Truett Cathy.

The unapologetic social conservatism of Chick-fil-A’s leadership has caused several headline-grabbing brouhahas, including a decision this year by Northeastern University officials not to allow a franchise on the college’s Boston campus.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/18/chick ... z216MmDBaJ

Also: http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/ch ... 7/02/42684
User

Benton Thrasher

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Louisville

Re: Chick-Fil-A under fire again

by Benton Thrasher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Just wow Robin, that's some serious nonsense there. Personally, I typically do not care one way or the other how someone believes or views, it's for them to decide. But when someone is effectively enough of a bigot to try to change the way others think to the way he thinks, it crosses a line. Myself, I have no problem with straight people, gay people, other races, nationalities, stereotypes, or genders. I do not personally believe in God, and have nothing against anyone who believes in any form of a god. And I've gotten into these political, racial, religious, and hate arguments before with friends and acquaintances, I simply tell them that we have a difference in opinion that isn't going to be swayed by the other; so there's really no point in fighting or arguing, let's just think differently and move on. I don't see why it is so hard for other people to think this way and put it into practice.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:28 pm

I'm not sure what the intent of the article was. I don't look into the politics, religion, ethnicity or anything else about the owner or management of the company. But I look for is a good product at reasonable prices at a place that I'm treated fairly. This same philosophy applies for restaurants or any other business.

I've never seen nor heard of any issues with Chick-Fil-A treating any given group of people differently than any other group. Based on that what difference does it make where the corporate profits go? For all we know the profits from one of the local ethnic restaurants could end up in the hands of an extremist group in the Middle East. That fact possibly would bother some people but I don't believe it would change the tiny habits of many! Everyone needs to look at a restaurant (or other business for that matter) for what it is and how it operates instead of what it believes!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm

It's a chain, and a tacky one at that. Anti-gay funding? In baseball, it's called "strike three."
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah. It's just more of the same. If you haven't decided to avoid the place by now, you're probably not going to. And that's a shame.
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Mark R. wrote:For all we know the profits from one of the local ethnic restaurants could end up in the hands of an extremist group in the Middle East.

And pigs will start flying, any moment now.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Mark R. wrote:I'm not sure what the intent of the article was. I don't look into the politics, religion, ethnicity or anything else about the owner or management of the company. But I look for is a good product at reasonable prices at a place that I'm treated fairly. This same philosophy applies for restaurants or any other business.

I've never seen nor heard of any issues with Chick-Fil-A treating any given group of people differently than any other group. Based on that what difference does it make where the corporate profits go? For all we know the profits from one of the local ethnic restaurants could end up in the hands of an extremist group in the Middle East. That fact possibly would bother some people but I don't believe it would change the tiny habits of many! Everyone needs to look at a restaurant (or other business for that matter) for what it is and how it operates instead of what it believes!

Yeah you might have a [profanity removed] point, if you weren't just comparing a hypothetical with cold hard facts.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I'd go to Chick-Fil-A, but the last time, a combo meal was almost $7 bucks!

As for the other stuff:

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Matthew D wrote: Yeah you might have a [profanity removed] point, if you weren't just comparing a hypothetical with cold hard facts.

At least they are firm enough and confident enough in their beliefs to make them public! A lot more than we did say about many people in organizations.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Mark R. wrote:At least they are firm enough and confident enough in their beliefs to make them public! A lot more than we did say about many people in organizations.

Yeah, Mark, the white racists in the old South were pretty open about where they stood, too. Does that make them admirable?
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Matthew D wrote: Yeah you might have a [profanity removed] point, if you weren't just comparing a hypothetical with cold hard facts.

At least they are firm enough and confident enough in their beliefs to make them public! A lot more than we did say about many people in organizations.

Okay, I'm done here. LHBs is nice and all, but internet idiots are still internet idiots.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:36 am

Chick-Fil-A has been a "no go" zone for me for a while now. They can stand up and make their "moral" stance known to all but that does not justify it as Robin pointed out. Personally I am totally tired of the publics' prevailing attitude of "if it does not affect me, so what? We can allow everyone elses rights to just slowly erode away until you step on MY rights." I am also very tired of morally self- righteous religious bullies standing up and dictating how everyone else needs to behave. And they need to stop trying to buy elections. You are against gay marriage? Fine. Don't marry a homosexual, but you don't get to dictate how everyone else behaves as long as it does not hurt others.
I am done. And I apologize for allowing my hormones to kick in that way. :wink:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 am

I will continue to eat at chik-fil-a on the occasions that I do eat at fast food restaurants. My reasoning is

1) Apparently they have stopped funding organizations that are 100% anti-gay organizations and even donate to some charitable organization that are pro-gay. Source with citations http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/k ... it/c2n0g1e

2) It would be naive to think you are NOT patronizing other organization with extremely right-wing leadership who have an anti-gay agenda. So really you are boycotting chick-fil-a solely based on the fact that their owner actually publicly admits his stance, because you ARE patronizing other anti-gay organizations trust me.

3) A bit hypocritical to boycott a place that donates to anti-gay organization when you probably own large quantities of stuff assembled by slave labor in China which you likely have no remorse about. I mean that is much worse that gays not being able to marry on the human rights scale. No one is standing up for those people and demanding to pay more for their goods.

4) I'm sure that the majority of the chik-fil-a organizatino is not anti-gay like the owner.

5) I have plenty of friends who are extremely christian and anti-gay and I don't like it but I'm not going to stop speaking to them.

6) The only reason people are homophobic in the fist place is because their church brainwashes them into thinking homosexuality is an evil sin and they only associate with like minded people and never have any exposure to the evil gays. Well its becoming impossible to live like this with the internet right there to dispel your fears and many more gay people living out in the open at which point your exposure to one over time will reveal that your fears were unfounded and baseless. So let chik-fil-a donate their entire profit to anti-gay organizations for all I care, its not going to change the fact that within a few years homosexuals will have all the rights we have no matter who is trying to stop it.

So at face value it may be a noble gesture to say "I'm not going to eat there" but if you really think about it its not something you should have a guilty conscious about.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:22 am

$7 you think that is expensive?
Steve H wrote:I'd go to Chick-Fil-A, but the last time, a combo meal was almost $7 bucks!

As for the other stuff:

Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

So, was there any new info this time around?

As I said in the thread the other day, I dont consider it any of my business what is done with profits*. How the business behaves, on the other hand, matters.

*I prefer that businesses never donate directly, pass the profits to owners and then let them donate, but the tax code mucks with this.
Next