Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Minneapolis/St. Paul

by MarieP » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

I'm leaving tomorrow evening to visit my sister and brother-in-law in St. Paul for the weekend. I already found some good sounding restaurants that have gotten good reviews, but I want to give my fellow foodies here a chance to make suggestions!

We're actually going to be stopping tomorrow night to meet my cousin in downtown Indy at Shapiro's Deli. Then, we'll be taking 74 up through Iowa (stopping in Le Claire to see the American Pickers shop.)

We'll obviously have a limited time up there, and there's only so many meals in a day, but here is what I wrote down as options:

Bread and Chocolate (just the name makes me drool)
Franklin Street Bakery
Al's Breakfast
Golden's Deli
Russian Tea Room (which I read is better than Moscow on the Hill)
Everest on Grand (which I read is better than Cat Man Do, besides it has...yak! anyone tried it?)
Black Sea Restaurant
Izzy's Ice Cream

Kramarczuk's Restaurant/Deli- I've seen mixed reviews on this. The restaurant is cafeteria, but more than one person has said that they microwaved their food. The Deli is supposed to be better. I wonder if they sell the sausages at local groceries- it's a bit far from my sister's (Lake Como area of St. Paul)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Minneapolis/St. Paul

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm afraid I'm not much help on MSP, Marie, although a friend who goes there often says there are surprisingly good eateries in the Mall of America. (I'd steer well clear of that place myself, but in fairness, passing this along.)

I wonder if the Black Sea Restaurant is from Georgia, not the one with Atlanta in it but the one with Tbilisi in it. We went to a Georgian restaurant in Seattle years ago, and it was awesome. Of course, this speculation isn't telling you what the Minneapolis Black Sea is like, but if it were me, I'd check into that.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:27 pm

We've actually done the Mall of America thing (15 years ago though) and ate at the Rainforest Cafe.

Black Sea is actually Turkish. My mom and I went to the Turkish Kitchen in NYC 10 years ago, and it was so good! For some off reason, I never made it to Istanbul Palace here in town.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Ok, I did a little searching on Georgian cuisine...

Found this place

http://www.restaurantbaku.us/

This thread has pictures of the food! http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/830525

The deli, Kiev Foods, mentioned in the above thread is actually a lot closer, and it sounds neat!!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kiev-foods-saint-paul

They are still open, though their website is down (I just called to check!)