Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Chia seeds

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Chia seeds

by Carla G » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Has anyone done any cooking with chia seeds? I understand they can be used as a substitute for eggs in cooking cakes, brownies .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Chia seeds

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Not I ... I don't have any problem with using local pastured eggs, though, although I definitely avoid industrial aggs from battery hens for reasons of both health and humaneness.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I just read where chia seeds were this nutritionally rich super food tha were fairly tasteless. If mixed in water they become this gelatinous stuff that can be used as an egg substitute and since I was trying to keep my animal protein intake down I was wondering if anyone around here had experimented with them. Google them if you are not familiar with them, they sound pretty interesting.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 am

Carla G wrote:I just read where chia seeds were this nutritionally rich super food tha were fairly tasteless. If mixed in water they become this gelatinous stuff that can be used as an egg substitute and since I was trying to keep my animal protein intake down I was wondering if anyone around here had experimented with them. Google them if you are not familiar with them, they sound pretty interesting.

I'll definitely look, Carla. When I hear "chia," though, all I can think of is those Chia Pets. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY7qQFij_M
:lol:

I'm a big fan of eggs, though, and as long as I can get them from sources that don't make my conscience ache, I'm fine with them as part of a healthy diet.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm

I'll definitely look, Carla. When I hear "chia," though, all I can think of is those Chia Pets. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY7qQFij_M
:lol:

:mrgreen:
Yeah, it's the same kind of seeds. I guess somewhere they ran out of terra cotta heads!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Carla,

I'd try to checkout some of the "egg substitute" products first. I've never used the chia seeds ( except on terracotta heads :wink: ), but baking is a very exacting process to be making a substitution that extreme into. Substitutions in cooking are much more forgiving. A very experienced, professional baker friend of mine had a really challenge trying to move to vegan baking-very successfully in the end, but it requires a whole lot of experimentation and trialing.

Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 pm

I've used chia seeds to make a faux pudding, and eat them for breakfast sometimes. They are not flavorless and I would never substitute them for eggs.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

The gelatinous stuff still has the seeds in it and so you get that texture. Not just a gooey, eggy thing. I would not want to encounter them in a cake or brownie. If you want to be healthy, be healthy. If you want to eat a brownie, eat a brownie.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 am

All good info. Many thanks.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 am

Carla G wrote:All good info. Many thanks.

You know you can get them at Nuts N Stuff on Barret.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 am

Did not know that. That's a good excuse to o by and say "howdy!"
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:19 am

There is a drink on the market called Mama Chia. No idea if anyone in Louisville carries it, but it's super tasty! The chia seeds are bloomed and it does have the consistency of an egg white.

I happen to have a bag and it does mention using it as an egg replacement but no recipe. I did find this site, http://andreadrugay.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -replacer/ and it seems like a good ratio. It's 1 Tbs chia seed to 3 Tbs water. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes to bloom and use as called for. This is the equivalent of 1 egg. You can also use flax seed (ground) in the same manner, though may need to soak longer. In the drink, the seeds are soaking for a long time so they don't have any crunch to them, but it is mentioned in the blog comments that they don't do really well in smooth products (pudding) because of some crunchiness but are unnoticed in more textured items like cookies and carrot muffins.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

Madeline M wrote:There is a drink on the market called Mama Chia. No idea if anyone in Louisville carries it, but it's super tasty! The chia seeds are bloomed and it does have the consistency of an egg white.

I happen to have a bag and it does mention using it as an egg replacement but no recipe. I did find this site, http://andreadrugay.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -replacer/ and it seems like a good ratio. It's 1 Tbs chia seed to 3 Tbs water. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes to bloom and use as called for. This is the equivalent of 1 egg. You can also use flax seed (ground) in the same manner, though may need to soak longer. In the drink, the seeds are soaking for a long time so they don't have any crunch to them, but it is mentioned in the blog comments that they don't do really well in smooth products (pudding) because of some crunchiness but are unnoticed in more textured items like cookies and carrot muffins.

I saw this drink at Whole Foods. (please don't beat me up.... I had a coupon for a free gallon of organic milk. ) the young man there said it was pretty popular.