Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Brown Park

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Brown Park

by Carla G » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Anybody know why most of Brwn Park is closed? Went over there today to walk some trails and most (if not all) of them are closed.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Brown Park

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Not specifically, but both Brown Park and Draut Park (further east toward the Mall) are run by St. Matthews City, not Metro Parks, and they don't seem to be good about informing the public. How are they "closed"? Yellow tape? Signs?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Dayglow orange mesh barriers stretched over the trail entrances. About 80% of th trails are closed. I checked on the park's website and found nothing. I did not see any construction of any kind. Thought maybe they were spraying for deer ticks or something. Did not see any ducks either. Usually there are a ton of ducks there. About 6 or 7 years ago they had an outbreak of botulism in their flock of ducks that killed many of them. I was told it was from people feeding the ducks moldy bread. Maybe there was a return? Don't know.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, durn! It's such a pretty park, too.

No telling, though. We've got a little city that doesn't like to communicate, and local media that have cut budgets so deep that there aren't many people left to ask questions. If it's still up Monday, it might be worth an effort to call St. Matthews City Hall.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:06 pm

That's what so aggravating about news coverage. While trying o find out I saw where a naked man ran his car into a mall... In Texas? Fascinating. Can I get a little more local news please?
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:39 pm

<sarcasm on>
But the good news is that we can find out all the local news in Rochester, NY by flipping to cable channel 5.
<sarcasm off>
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:44 pm

I'll post on Facebook and see if any of my Louisville folks who don't lurk here might know.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Quick response from my pal Marty, who lives nearby and walks her dogs there: " They are renovating Beargrass Creek. It is eroding."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Okay, here ya go ... we all need to bite our tongues and apologize, the CJ Neighborhoods section had a little story on it on June 2. It's behind the paywall, but here's the intro:

A $534,800 project to help restore Beargrass Creek in Brown Park in St. Matthews is expected to start this summer, after the next fiscal year begins July 1.

The St. Matthews City council recently approved a bid from E-Z Construction for the project. "It's a whole lot more work than we originally thought," St. Matthews Mayor Bernard Bowling said.

The creek banks have been washing away and have been scoured of vegetation in some areas. ...

Here's the link if anybody wants to pay for the rest. :P
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... Park-creek
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you so very much for rousting this out Robin. That does make sense and I bet it will be a big project.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Carla G wrote:Thank you so very much for rousting this out Robin. That does make sense and I bet it will be a big project.

I'd love to know whether St. Matthews actually got any engineering advice, talked to MSD or the Corps of Engineers or anybody else, or just drew up a plan on the back of an envelope and hired a contractor. :(
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 am

Not that St. Matthews wouldn't avoid it if they could, but they HAVE to for anything affecting Beargrass Creek.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Margie L wrote:Not that St. Matthews wouldn't avoid it if they could, but they HAVE to for anything affecting Beargrass Creek.

I suppose times have changed, but when I covered St. Matthews back in the '70s - I don't want to count how many years it has been - they were notorious for "asking forgiveness rather than permission." It wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest for the mayor and council of that era to Just Do Something, whether it involved drainage or roads or construction.

It's been a long time, though, and I'm sure things have changed.