Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wedding Cakes

no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

Wedding Cakes

by Sallie P. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this question? Who makes the best tasting and best decorated wedding cakes in Louisville?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Wedding Cakes

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Sallie, since this is about something to eat, I'll go ahead and move it over to the busy main forum, where someone might have good advice.

The forum's own Leah S used to make awesome wedding cakes, but they got into the food truck business instead. She or others may be able to tell you where else to look, though!
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm

I used Leah, but since she's moved on, I can only give her a shout out (hey!). My coworker recently got married and used the bakery at Sullivan and it was delicious and very pretty. She also said the price was great and they were easy to work with. Het shower cake was from Heitzmans. I thought it was very dry and a waste if my weight watcher points :lol: and I love cake..it was disappointing.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Congratulations Sallie!

We make quite a few wedding cakes at Sweet Surrender! (And I like to think they are pretty good. We just won our 9th Best of Louisville Award!) We actually offer free wedding cake consultations and tastings.

You can learn more about our wedding cakes on our website over here: http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com/weddings.htm. There is a link at the top of that page to a gallery of a few of our wedding cakes, but you can see even more of photos (including very recent wedding cakes) on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/sweetsurrenderdessertcafe,

Of course, I am also happy to answer any questions here or via PM. I hope you will come in for a tasting!
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:24 pm

You should at least talk to Melissa at Louisvillicious.

http://www.facebook.com/louisvillicious 1 (502) 551-9155

She did our wedding, and I have recommended her to others who raved about her cakes.

Wedding cake

and Groom's cake... :P

no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:51 pm

We have had great luck w/ MaryCarmel ... www.thesugarwoods.com
502 222 9671
Incredible flavor, fresh, creative, and one of the most delightful ladies I know...
Please tell her Anoosh & Paula said to call....
Have fun finding the right cake fit... :D
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I refer all my inquires to Sweet Surrender. ::waves to Jessica::
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:05 am

We used Sweet Surrender for our wedding. Seriously the best tasting wedding cake I've ever had. They let us taste a bunch of them before we decided too.
no avatar
User

SallyH

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm

by SallyH » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:12 pm

We've attended several events recently with cakes and catering by sweetsbymillie.com and have loved everything. You should a look at her website!
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm

We loved our cake from Mert's. Virgina Rankin makes VERY tasty, rich cake. Our guests still talk about our cake and how good it was and we were married in 2007. Keep in mind she does charge a little more than others but I think she's worth it.

Adrienne & Co. in Jeff decorates cakes beautifully and is a good choice if you're going in the "Ace of Cakes" direction. They are also super-reasonable price-wise.

Neither place uses fondant if you don't want them to - they both smooth out buttercream to look like fondant which isn't easy and makes for a tastier cake.

Congrats!
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

We used Virginia Rankin, Mert's Cakes, 10 years ago for Bob's daughter's wedding. Sorry, it was before we knew about Leah!!! The cake was very good and very pretty. I would recommend her but would certainly look at Jessica's cakes now.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:We loved our cake from Mert's. Virgina Rankin makes VERY tasty, rich cake. Our guests still talk about our cake and how good it was and we were married in 2007. Keep in mind she does charge a little more than others but I think she's worth it.
I (we, the wife and I) owuld second this totally. Mert's is extraordinary! http://www.mertscakes.com/
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
Alexis Rich wrote:We loved our cake from Mert's. Virgina Rankin makes VERY tasty, rich cake. Our guests still talk about our cake and how good it was and we were married in 2007. Keep in mind she does charge a little more than others but I think she's worth it.
I (we, the wife and I) owuld second this totally. Mert's is extraordinary! http://www.mertscakes.com/

3rded on Merts... the cake was awesome, Virginia is awesome.

At least go get a sample from her... well worth the time and effort.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:21 pm

A lot of good ideas here, (and some I was not aware of) but since this is an older post, I'd like to bump it to ask for newer recommendations please?

Thanks in advance!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Still go with Mert's!