Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

Elk burger recipe/suggestions

by Madeline M » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm

We have a friend coming up on Sunday and he's wanting to do elk burgers. We have the elk, but no experience cooking it. I'm guessing it's like a lot of game meat and you need to add moisture if you plan on grilling it or need to not cook beyond medium? By adding moisture, is it better to add a fat of some kind or do saturated bread crumbs? The recipes I'm finding are kinda boring (salt/pepper only) or way too exotic for the less adventurous people that will be here (garam masala and coconut sauce).

We are also doing ribs so we'll have a fall back, but I'd really like to make some great burgers too!
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Elk burger recipe/suggestions

by Ken B » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 pm

There's a couple reasons game (or any meat) might turn out dry. In my experience it has more to do with the handling than anything else, which includes if it's frozen, how long it's been frozen, etc. not just how you cook it, or any adjuncts you might use - though cooking any burger beyond medium is going to dry it out. Adding fat can add moisture, or just make your burger greasy. Adding moistened bread crumbs is going to give you a meatloaf/meatball texture, not necessarily moisture. I have seen a burger recipe that insists on soaking the meat in cold water first, which is contrary to practices I have found for getting a good texture/flavor. Might work for you, but I haven't tried it, nor am I advocating it.

I also don't think much more than salt and pepper is necessary. If you want to taste the elk, then taste the elk, not bbq sauce, or seasoned salt, or whatever. But, if salt and pepper isn't good enough, then I suggest you seek this out, or look at the ingredients and make your own:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/bac ... tchers-rub
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:17 am

Madeline M wrote:We have a friend coming up on Sunday and he's wanting to do elk burgers. We have the elk, but no experience cooking it. I'm guessing it's like a lot of game meat and you need to add moisture if you plan on grilling it or need to not cook beyond medium? By adding moisture, is it better to add a fat of some kind or do saturated bread crumbs? The recipes I'm finding are kinda boring (salt/pepper only) or way too exotic for the less adventurous people that will be here (garam masala and coconut sauce).

We are also doing ribs so we'll have a fall back, but I'd really like to make some great burgers too!

Having cooked quite a bit of Elk, Venison, Moose, etc I've had good luck doing the saturated bread crumbs (I've got a good recipe I'll share, if you happen not to have one) combined with grilling them over indirect heat...That and cooking to -barely- medium (around 140 degrees). I've got friends who like to mix ground pork with their ground venison/elk/etc (to the tune of around 20% pork)...I can't recall ever having done that myself but it seems to work for them.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 am

Steve -
I would like that recipe for the bread crumb thing, please.

MIssChele
MissChele
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Michele Cull wrote:Steve -
I would like that recipe for the bread crumb thing, please.

MIssChele

Sent you a P.M.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm

I ended up adding a touch of olive oil, maybe 1/2 tsp. to a little over a pound of elk. Then just salt, pepper and some garlic. Grilled it indirect at 400 degrees for 2 minutes per side. They turned out pretty well and had a great flavor.

I'd cut back on the oil next time, the meat had plenty of moisture once thawed. I thought about doing the saturated bread but was concerned about texture and when I saw how moist the meat was I knew I didn't need it. I've done a lot with venison and figured elk would be fairly similar. I would consider adding some pork to it just to make it go further. 20% would be about right too. Beef would change the flavor too much, but pork should work well with the flavor and texture.

I'd love to have a good recipe Steve P! I know I'll make these again when my dad flies in from Alaska and he likes big flavor.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Madeline M wrote:
I'd love to have a good recipe Steve P! I know I'll make these again when my dad flies in from Alaska and he likes big flavor.

Here's the recipe. We've used it for years and found it works well on beef and wild game. Definitely -helps- keep things from drying out.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes ... ?docid=837