Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Source for Sliced Country ham for sandwiches?

by Jay M. » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks, all! I went to Morris' Deli today and in one fell-swoop got my sliced country ham, chunk ham for Country Ham Spread, Weisenberger biscuit mix and Henry Bain Sauce. If someone mentioned previously that they carry FATHER"S Country Ham, I totally missed it- Yum!

I had a corned beef sandwich at Brad's suggestion, and while Ken I agree about the bread, it was I think the best corned beef I've had in Louisville. Very lean and flavorful.

Thanks for turning me onto this place, folks! This may be my new tradition.
:D
Deb

Good call, Deb. Glad you discovered them. Not the first place I thought of based on your request, but, like Brad, I can walk there, too. We have a Derby order into them for KY burgoo for our guests. Hope you have a great week and Karen will be watching for the pink boots at the Oaks.
no avatar
User

Nancy Tarrant

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:56 am

by Nancy Tarrant » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 am

The Cheddar Box in Chenoweth Square has thinly sliced country ham. We'll be happy to slice it any way you want.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed May 02, 2012 9:23 am

Well based on the positive comments on Morris' deli, I went on Tuesday to check it out. Neat place with a nice beer selection. I got a sandwich to go with a side of potato salad. I have to agree with Ken...the meat and all was quite tasty but the bread really sucks. A higher caliber loaf would make a world of difference here.Only other minor gripe would be the use of Fathers country ham(I know its really good) but I would prefer Finchville farms country ham. I also really liked the potato salad, it is surprisingly close to a style we make here at home.There used to be a little country store I would go to out in Anderson county that made killer country ham sandwiches, but had the same stick to the roof of your mouth wonder bread issues. I kinda got over it by reminding myself ....thats just the way they do it.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 pm

John Hagan wrote:Only other minor gripe would be the use of Fathers country ham(I know its really good) but I would prefer Finchville farms country ham.

Not sure if I'm departing from the thread too much here, but I have had fun at Garage Bar tasting country hams side by side on their country ham platter. There's a selection of 4 and they do change it up once in a while, I've had 5 possibly 6 hams to my memory. I actually took notes one night so I could determine my favorite. I'm pretty sure it was Newsome's - which was my favorite to begin with. If I can dig up my notes, I'll post again.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 am

Ken,

We did the same when they first opened- loved the 4 Country ham tasting. Amazing how different the flavor profiles were for each. Our favorite is also Colonel Newsom's.

I'm still upset with my daughter for deciding to go to WKU next year instead of Murray State. I accidentally stumbled upon Newsom's General Store in enroute to Murray State and accidentally I was able to meet Nancy and stock-up when we went for our visit. ( I bought a cooler there to keep my purchase safe :wink: ). Now I don't have my source anymore... :cry:
:lol:
Deb
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Just to add for future reference, I often get sliced country ham at Mike Best. I don't know the brand, but it's good.
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like Mike Best Meats is a goner in Westport Village. The space was barren when I drove by the other night.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:31 pm

AmyBK wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like Mike Best Meats is a goner in Westport Village. The space was barren when I drove by the other night.

I just heard the other day that it was gone. Apparently the move out of its old quarters (to make way for Henry's Place) didn't serve it well. :(
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 pm

AmyBK wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like Mike Best Meats is a goner in Westport Village. The space was barren when I drove by the other night.

Oh Noessssssss!!!!!!!
Previous