Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Best Cake Mix and Frosting?

User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Best Cake Mix and Frosting?

by Ray Griffith » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:43 am

I want to make a chocoriffic birthday cake. Any suggestions on a mix and frosting?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Best Cake Mix and Frosting?

by Deb Hall » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 am

Ray-
I get one with pudding in the Mix- typically Duncan Hines. They tend to be very moist.
Can I suggest making the frosting from scratch? Frosting made with real butter is real SOOO much better- turns it into an entirely different cake- and it's easy. Unless it's for kids- then the Pillsbury chocolate fudge frosting in the can is just fine. ( and frosting's all they really want/eat anyway :wink: :lol: ).

Deb
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 pm

A second for Duncan Hines!

Hines was born in and is buried in Bowling Green, in case you didn't know. It would be fun to read his book Adventures in Good Eating:

Wikipedia has an excerpt from the 1939 edition:

Corbin, KY. Sanders Court and Café
41 — Jct. with 25, 25 E. ½ Mi. N. of Corbin. Open all year except Xmas.
A very good place to stop en route to Cumberland Falls and the Great Smokies. Continuous 24-hour service. Sizzling steaks, fried chicken, country ham, hot biscuits. L. 50¢ to $1; D., 60¢ to $1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Hines
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm

You could always doctor a mix. There are several books, including "The Cake Mix Doctor" with lots of tasty ideas for cakes and frosting. Please don't mock me for owning all of her books...

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:36 pm

I did a Duncan Hines dark chocolate cake for Cinco De Mayo. I added about a Tbs cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cayenne to the mix. Add it in to the dry mix so it mixes more thoroughly. I added a little cinnamon to the icing, also DH dark chocolate and did a 2 layer round cake. Used 2 cans of frosting so I could put a nice thick layer of frosting in the center as well as decorate the top a little. It was one of the best cakes I've ever had! I just don't have the time to bake from scratch with a 10 month old running around.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 am

Deb Hall wrote:Ray-
I get one with pudding in the Mix- typically Duncan Hines. They tend to be very moist.
Can I suggest making the frosting from scratch? Frosting made with real butter is real SOOO much better- turns it into an entirely different cake- and it's easy. Unless it's for kids- then the Pillsbury chocolate fudge frosting in the can is just fine. ( and frosting's all they really want/eat anyway :wink: :lol: ).

Deb

Deb,

Thanks to inspiration from your suggestion to make the frosting from scratch, I did a complete flip-flop. I stumbled on a carrot cake recipe online (allrecipes.com) and did both the cake and frosting from scratch. With that much butter, cream cheese and sugar, etc, no wonder it's so damn good. Anyway, it was quite the hit! Thanks!

Ray
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Michele Cull wrote:You could always doctor a mix. There are several books, including "The Cake Mix Doctor" with lots of tasty ideas for cakes and frosting. Please don't mock me for owning all of her books...

MissChele

Cake Mix Doctor is a great book! I haven't tried the tomato soup and chocolate recipe though...
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:41 pm

I did the tomato soup in the spice cake. Moist & tasty!
MissChele
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Ray-

Deb

Deb,

Thanks to inspiration from your suggestion to make the frosting from scratch, I did a complete flip-flop. I stumbled on a carrot cake recipe online (allrecipes.com) and did both the cake and frosting from scratch. With that much butter, cream cheese and sugar, etc, no wonder it's so damn good. Anyway, it was quite the hit! Thanks!

Ray

You're welcome Ray!
Can I have a piece? Carrot cake is one of my favorites! :wink: :D
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Tomato Soup Cake

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm

I remember that my mother and grandmother frequently made a from-scratch chocolate cake w/ tomato soup when I was a pre-school child. I also thought it had something to do with sugar rationing during WWII. I guess I was in err; it was rather an answer to the hardships of the Great Depression:
http://www.cakespy.com/blog/2009/5/16/getting-canned-an-exploration-of-the-tomato-soup-cake.html
Last edited by Gayle DeM on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Michele Cull wrote:I did the tomato soup in the spice cake. Moist & tasty!

Will have to try, then!