Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Source for Sliced Country ham for sandwiches?

by Deb Hall » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:19 pm

All,
I preparing for my Derby entertaining, and realized I have a significant sourcing issue. For years,one of my mains has been little country ham biscuit sandwiches ( cold) . Both the cold deli country ham and the lovely small biscuits were from the lamented Doll's ( same as what they used for their own catering).

Yikes! Where am I going to source these this week? I'm particularly worried about the ham - most places in town carry the country ham steaks/ etc , but what I need is basically country ham lunchmeat to be served cold, and I have no idea who has it. ( a good small biscuit suggestion would be great too. I could make them, but as I 'll be at Oaks all day, I 'm trying to keep it as simple as possible....)

Thanks for any help,
Deb
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Source for Sliced Country ham for sandwiches?

by JustinHammond » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:50 pm

I had some great sliced country ham at Garage this morning. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell you some.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Deb,

Burger's Market regularly sells country ham biscuits that they prepare (or at least assemble) and package in the store. They are on larger biscuits than you describe. But, we have also bought country ham biscuits from them for Derby entertainng on a smaller biscuit, too.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Deb,
You may want to try Morris's Deli (the old Karem Deebs) at Taylorsville and Bardstown. They have Father's Country Ham which is absolutely fantastic. Sliced thin, it is perfect for little sandwiches with Plehn's Butter Buns. It is definitely our "go to" for entertaining with ham/buns and they also have some great sides.

Happy Derby!!!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

Carol C wrote:Deb,
You may want to try Morris's Deli (the old Karem Deebs) at Taylorsville and Bardstown. They have Father's Country Ham which is absolutely fantastic. Sliced thin, it is perfect for little sandwiches with Plehn's Butter Buns. It is definitely our "go to" for entertaining with ham/buns and they also have some great sides.

Happy Derby!!!

Seconded this. Morris Deli is a great source.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Yes, either Burger's or Morris would be the first places I'd call. Burger's always has prepared (as in washed to remove excess salt and then maybe? baked) country ham that they can sell yo;u sliced and the Morris deli will sell you any of the meats they use on their sanwiches by the pound and sliced to order, too.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks, all! My AC died permanently on Friday, so simplifying the menu ( not something I'm good at :wink: ) is critical.

Morris' is new to me. Is it related to the Karems at Norton Commons? That would be so close...
Deb
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carol C » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Morris's is at the junction of Taylorsville Rd and Bardstown Rd--right in the triangle. I really don't think there is a connection between Karen Deebs (now Morris's Deli) and the Karems in Norton Commons, but I wouldn't stake my life on it! Others may know more about the history. It really is worth the trip down there to get their country ham.

We will certainly look for you in the Oaks parade! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

Since you've never been, a few other pointers:

1. Get a sandwich to eat while you're there, along with some soup perhaps. Good stuff. We've already talked up the country ham, but try a corned beef sandwich.
2. Liquor is substantially more expensive there than elsewhere, so I only buy it there in a pinch (it's walking distance from my house).
3. Beer is also a bit more expensive than other places, but the selection is very good and they allow you to mix and match 6 packs, so you can make your own sampler. All beer is located in the large walk-in cooler.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Great, Brad- thanks!
Any idea if they sell little biscuits to make the sandwiches with? Do they sell country ham steaks/pieces too so I can buy that for my Country Ham Spread?

And most important, where do I park?? Street?

I see a corned beef sandwich in my future.... :D

Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

They make their own country ham spread so I'm sure they'd sell you a tub. Not so for the steaks though. Might want to call ahead.

As often as I eat their sandwiches (umm. . . once a week probably), I am not in love with them. The reason: their bread. Pretty much off the shelf loves of Wonder-equivalent, whether it be wheat, white, rye or whatever. It reduces their sandwiches, otherwise pretty good, to memories of third grade lunch for me. I like that they offer smoked tuna salad, "hot sinus" mustard, and enough of a variety of meats and dressings to do something interesting, but that bread, it just takes it down a notch. I do also have a soft spot for their white bean soup, and they make some respectable barbecue, too.

And though you will not find it now, I will say I have seen a bottle of Van WInkle lurking about their shelves when I know others have sold out. You have to know where to look, and I ain't tellin' where. . .

They have about 8 spots right out front, right off of Taylorsvillle Rd. If it is anywhere in the lunch hour (11-1-ish) forget about using one of them though.
The Wine Market
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Tue May 01, 2012 3:32 pm

PS sorry about the lack of help on the biscuits. Plan B it and use a bunch of Nrod's rolls?
The Wine Market
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue May 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks, all! I went to Morris' Deli today and in one fell-swoop got my sliced country ham, chunk ham for Country Ham Spread, Weisenberger biscuit mix and Henry Bain Sauce. If someone mentioned previously that they carry FATHER"S Country Ham, I totally missed it- Yum!

I had a corned beef sandwich at Brad's suggestion, and while Ken I agree about the bread, it was I think the best corned beef I've had in Louisville. Very lean and flavorful.

Thanks for turning me onto this place, folks! This may be my new tradition.
:D
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks for turning me onto this place, folks! This may be my new tradition.
:D
Deb

There's actually a review floating around on HotBytes, but it's hard to find ... down toward the end of a long series of quick-bite reviews:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/a-bro ... -weirdness
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carol C » Tue May 01, 2012 8:59 pm

They make their own country ham spread so I'm sure they'd sell you a tub.

Morris's Country Ham Salad is wonderfully addictive and they will sell it in any size containers. I get it often for parties.
Next