Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

PHOENIX HILL farmers market NULU question

by John Hagan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:47 am

With the unfortunate closing of the Bodega at Felice, the Phoenix Hill farmers market will be relocating to the Fresh Start Growers Supply on Jefferson. There is a debate within the market to make a name change for the market. Many ideas have been bounced around and it seems to come to down to leaving the name as is, or incorporating the "NULU" branding into the name. Without going into all the possible plus/minus of each, I was would love to hear any thoughts/opinions anybody might have on the issue.
Thanks, any input would be most appreciated.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: PHOENIX HILL farmers market NULU question

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 am

Although I'm not crazy about the name "Nulu," it seems to be sticking. Might as well take advantage of it.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

John,

I agree with Robin. People will easily understand where you are- a major plus. Just double check that there are not restrictions with using "NuLu" in the name ( shouldn't be , but you never know) .

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 pm

John,

If you go this way, make sure to use the treatment "NuLu"- from looking thru google it appears the East Market District Association prefers this treatment for their Brand.

The brand is getting a lot of play- I think it's an excellent brand to attach yourselves to.

Deb
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 pm

John Hagan wrote:With the unfortunate closing of the Bodega at Felice, the Phoenix Hill farmers market will be relocating to the Fresh Start Growers Supply on Jefferson. There is a debate within the market to make a name change for the market. Many ideas have been bounced around and it seems to come to down to leaving the name as is, or incorporating the "NULU" branding into the name. Without going into all the possible plus/minus of each, I was would love to hear any thoughts/opinions anybody might have on the issue.
Thanks, any input would be most appreciated.

Can you use nulu (yuck) if you are not on E. Market? I always thought the phoenix hill designation was confusing.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 pm

David,
Excellent point. I see nothing showing that NuLu has been trademarked or registered, restricting others nearby from using it. As a visitor to that area , I would assume that NuLu is that section of town, not a specific 5 block area of Market Street ( as I would view the "East Market District" as being. ) Just like SoHo and Chinatown in NY have changed their boundaries over time.

However the EMDA, ( and the city) may have a different view and it could cause some bad feelings. Hence my suggestion to potentially check if it is okay.

Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 am

Hi all,
thanks for the input. I was not at the last market meeting,but from what I understand some of the folks responsible for the NULU concept were there or at least making their voice heard. They have been,in part, the people pushing for the name change. So I see no issue/restrictions with incorporating the "brand' into our market. Ill find out more today where we are with name and what not.
This should be a real positive move the farmers market. Its been somewhat of a struggle in the old location. The new spot will have plenty of visibility as well a bump from new marketing ideas. From what I understand we will also be looking into bringing food trucks to that market. Ill let you all know when I get more info.
Thanks
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed May 02, 2012 9:09 pm

John Hagan wrote:Hi all,
thanks for the input. I was not at the last market meeting,but from what I understand some of the folks responsible for the NULU concept were there or at least making their voice heard. They have been,in part, the people pushing for the name change. So I see no issue/restrictions with incorporating the "brand' into our market. Ill find out more today where we are with name and what not.
This should be a real positive move the farmers market. Its been somewhat of a struggle in the old location. The new spot will have plenty of visibility as well a bump from new marketing ideas. From what I understand we will also be looking into bringing food trucks to that market. Ill let you all know when I get more info.
Thanks

Will the "no sales until 3 o'clock nazi" follow to the new location?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 am

David R. Pierce wrote:Will the "no sales until 3 o'clock nazi" follow to the new location?

The current vendor line up is a good bunch. I wouldn't worry about that. Weve weeded out any "sticks in the mud".
Please note there is a new new thread on the market in the main section on the forum.