Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

brussel sprouts and wine?

User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

brussel sprouts and wine?

by John Hagan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:48 am

Question about brussel sprouts....a couple weeks back we took some frozen Kroger sprouts and cooked them up with a little red wine. ( I realize that white would have been a better choice,buts reds all we had) The sprouts came out with great texture but an overwhelming bitter taste and a major sulfuric odor. They kinda smelled like they were over cooked. Did the same thing last night with the same result...not over cooked, but they smelled like they were. Do you think its the red wine...or just that the kroger frozen brussel sprouts suck?
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Re: brussel sprouts and wine?

by Gayle DeM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:09 am

Do you think its the red wine...or just that the kroger frozen brussel sprouts suck?

Could be both! :roll:

John, I prefer to roast brussel sprouts. I've always thought it was overcooking of brussel sprouts that lead to the sulfurous odor, but it could be a chemical reaction between the brussel sprouts and red wine. On the other hand, I did find a recipe for brussel sprouts and red wine:

http://www.macheesmo.com/2009/06/brussel-sprouts-with-red-wine-reduction/
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:41 am

What red wine did you use, Gayle? Fresh bottle or leftover?
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:43 am

Robin, I roast my brussel sprouts. I just found a recipe for John to compare w/ his version of brussel sprouts w/ red wine.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:45 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Robin, I roast my brussel sprouts. I just found a recipe for John to compare w/ his version of brussel sprouts w/ red wine.

Oops, I meant to ask that question of John! I just got in from a quiz in Biblical Hebrew and apparently wasn't up to reading English with full comprhenension just yet. :lol:

I'm inclined to agree with you, though. Without regard to the specific recipe, I don't see a sulfuric reaction coming from b'sprouts plus wine.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:34 pm

Well, what we normally do with the frozen sprouts is this...I dump the bag of frozen sprouts in the pan ,pour some white wine over the sprouts with the burner up, swish them around till they get just barely tender...by this time most of the wine has evaporated, then I toss in a little butter,pinch of coarse salt and serve(Ill take a splash of vinegar on my spouts at this point, Anne prefers hers without)
In this case we used some red left over from last night(which is pretty rare for us to have any leftover wine), so maybe the wine did have something to do with it. I hate over cooked sprouts and will errr on the side of more raw then over cooked. These definitely were not over cooked,they just had that odor, but still retained good texture.
In the future I will try roasting them. We have been putting quartered sections of cabbage under the broiler lately with really good results. Just a little olive oil and coarse salt, with a splash of red vinegar for me at the end.While I prefer raw cabbage over any version cooked, the broiler method works for me.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Nothing in my experience with red wine or brussel sprouts would indicate that it is the red wine over white that caused the funk. Probably just how they were handled prior to be frozen, I'd guess.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY