Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: You Are So Louisville If...

by Carla G » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 am

Mark Gilley wrote:when someone mentions using a turn signal, you get a far away confused look in your eye.

Love it!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am

...or my new favorite (from the "inbox" section of the LEO):

..."you are so Highlands/Crescent Hill/Clifton if you believe that everyone in the city reads LEO, mostly patronizes local businesses, frequents coffee shops and hangs out exclusively on Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave.

Alicia Hurle - Highlands

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 pm

You ask someone where they went to school and their reply is a local public high school. This town is totally identified with where someone went to high school. I know a few people went to college.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am

I never really noticed the high school thing until people on this board kept referencing it. I think it's probably just a way to place you at a certain time and place to help determine if you might have any common acquaintances. It would work for college too but people go to college at all ages of life in many different places.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Gary Z wrote:I think it's probably just a way to place you at a certain time and place to help determine if you might have any common acquaintances.

Bingo. Unlike the rest of the universe, where there are 6 degrees of separation, in Louisville there are only about 3 degrees. We love finding connections in this town. Who you grew up with, who's your cousin, who was your first boss, etc. Doesn't make us provincial... just different.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Antonia L wrote:Bingo. Unlike the rest of the universe, where there are 6 degrees of separation, in Louisville there are only about 3 degrees. We love finding connections in this town. Who you grew up with, who's your cousin, who was your first boss, etc. Doesn't make us provincial... just different.

What I don't get is that I'm a deeply rooted, multiply connected Louisvillian, but the high school question rarely if ever comes up in discussions. Work, college, associations, sure, but high school? Nope. What am I doing wrong? :roll:
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What I don't get is that I'm a deeply rooted, multiply connected Louisvillian, but the high school question rarely if ever comes up in discussions. Work, college, associations, sure, but high school? Nope. What am I doing wrong? :roll:

I don't hear the question much at all anymore, and if I do, it's asked kind of sheepishly, like, "I know this is the cheesiest question ever, but where did you go to high school?" I think the habit has been ridiculed so much by people from other places that people just don't go there as much anymore.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What am I doing wrong? :roll:

Well. Now that ya mention it 8) ........................................................................................... :lol:

just funnin' with ya food dude
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:46 pm

I grew up in Chicago, but my wife's from Louisville, so we are here. Anyway, I have witnessed and have gotten High-school question multiple times and it has always been high school. My rote answer to the "where did you go to school" question has now become "Chicago". I really don't recall ever having anyone then follow that up with "where did you go to college?" It's almost always followed up with "How'd you get to Louisville?".

Not bad at all, just very Louisville.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Doug W wrote:I grew up in Chicago, but my wife's from Louisville, so we are here. Anyway, I have witnessed and have gotten High-school question multiple times and it has always been high school. My rote answer to the "where did you go to school" question has now become "Chicago". I really don't recall ever having anyone then follow that up with "where did you go to college?" It's almost always followed up with "How'd you get to Louisville?".

Not bad at all, just very Louisville.

It's a conversation starter. And now that I think about it, it's a much more interesting one that, "Nice weather we're having, eh?"

My Washingtonian husband answers the high school question with the name of his high school, and then enjoys the puzzled looks while they try to place the school. "Is that in Shively?"
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:00 pm

I've always found that question to be a little elieist. not just "where did you go to high school", but more of "did you attend trinity or st.x" is the meaning i glean from it. kind of a way to judge someone's social standing with one quick question. it really is kind of ridiculous and i am happy that it has been made fun of to the point of waning.

I started answering this question with,"i never finished eighth grade, but now i DRIVE the schoolbus!!"
no avatar
User

Harry Dennery

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:59 pm

by Harry Dennery » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Best answer heard on High School question was St. Trinity. Drives people nuts
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 am

.....you remember what Muhammad Ali Blvd used to be called.
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 am

Harry Dennery wrote:Best answer heard on High School question was St. Trinity. Drives people nuts

that is beautiful.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 am

DanB wrote:.....you remember what Muhammad Ali Blvd used to be called.

Chestnut Street?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
PreviousNext