Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

New York City

Moderator: Robin Garr

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: New York City

by Deb Hall » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 am

Ken,
One of my bucket list items is having a meal at French Laundry/a Thomas Keller Restaurant, but we tried two years ago for a significant birthday and couldn't get reservations. Hence the focus on Per Se. But I've heard wonderful things about 11 Madison. Have you been? ( note- we will only be having one truly fine meal)

Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 am

No, I haven't been, but my brother has, and he said it was outstanding/worth it.

I kind of gave up on trying to get seats at particular personalities restaurants years ago. I tried for a long time to get into Babbo, finally got a reservation for a night I was in NYC on business, had a very generous gift certificate from my sister, and came down with such a bad cold the night before I ended up missing it altogether.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:28 am

Deb-
Eleven Park Madison was named the best restaurant in NYC in New York Magazine's recent overview. It's also the favorite of many chefs I know. :wink:
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/el ... ison-park/
Next time I see you I'll bring the magazine.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am

Might want to check this place out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/dinin ... ted=1&_r=1

ilbucovineria.com
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 am

JustinHammond wrote:Might want to check this place out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/dinin ... ted=1&_r=1

ilbucovineria.com

Justin-
Wow, that sounds fantastic! Definitely our kind of place, and I love the thought of eating there AND being able to buy their ingredients to bring home or have a picnic with. Thanks so much for posting- this is going on the list. :D

Deb
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:29 am

Guess who just got a reservation to Eleven Madison Park? :D ( happy dance)
We are going to do the 4 course tasting ( plus amusees :wink: ).

Thanks to Ken and Gary for pushing this one as an option- I'd only vaguely heard of it before, but having read the reviews and talked to a friend who was there in December, we are VERY excited!

Now to fill out the rest of the "dance card"- :wink: Too many wonderful choices!
Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

by Ken B » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I expect a full report. Photos please, too, if you are not shy about that in the restaurant (I know Chang does not allow patron's cameras in any of his spots).
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Deb,

I’ve copied below a friend’s report of his honeymoon dining in NYC. You’ll note it includes Eleven Madison Park (on Friday), where you have a reservation.

We’ve been to momofuku ssäm bar, Gramercy, and Scott Conant’s Scarpetta in both New York and Miami Beach and enjoyed all. We stumbled on Eataly while walking around; it’s an amazing place and you won’t be disappointed. You should plan to spend some time there, though. Also, check out Russ & Daughters, which is just a block away from Katz’s. http://www.russanddaughters.com/

There’s a great food shop in the lower level of the building that houses The Food Network’s HQ in the Meatpacking District

My friend’s report (this from 2010):

Sunday
dinner: Momofuku Ssam (no reservations), $135
Pork buns
Fried Brussels Sprouts with mint
Scallops with bok choy and pineapple chips
Spicy sausage and rice cakes
Pomegranate sour
The Original Sin (cocktail)
Riesling

This place is an absolute must if you haven’t been to one of David Chang’s places. The pork buns are amazing!! This place is in the lower east side and has swanky casual feel. You’ll be out in 1:30 unless you keep ordering.

Monday
lunch: Le Grainne, $25
Baguette with Chicken and Ratatouille
Baguette with sweet sausage and butter
Coffee

Not super remarkable.

dinner: Gotham Bar and Grille, at bar, $150
Artichoke Salad
Wagyu au poivre
Cheese plate
Kumquat Cooler
Cab-Malbec
1980 mes amiel

A classic Manhattan place, formal, excellent food, excellent wine list, but expensive. We sat at the bar and shared food and drink. Probably the perfect dining room/bar—soooo elegant.

Tuesday
breakfast: Abraco, $11
Coffee and olive oil cake

A small, one-table coffee shop in the lower east side with each cup of coffee made-to-order. Best coffee in NYC, you often hear. We loved it for a quick breakfast. And the Olive Oil cake, which we read about in the Times, was awesome… a nice, non-sweet antidote to the rich dinners.

lunch: Brick lane curry house, $30
Lunch buffet with Aloo Gobi, Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer, Mulligatawny soup,
Idli with coconut chutney, Sambhar, etc.

Not super-remarkable, we just stumbled in here, but were, as always, impressed by the quality of the food.

dinner: Motorino, East Village, $80
Beet salad
Margherita pizza
Brussels sprout pizza with pancetta and garlic
Italian extra IPA

This pizza place was written up in the Times the day after we ate there! Fantastic neopolitan pizza, great eclectic hoppy beer selection (small, but awesome). If you want NYC pizza, go for the margherita and the Brussels sprout… a great cheaper dinner!

Wednesday
lunch: leftover pizza
dinner: Scarpetta, $330
The 5-course tasting menu with wine pairings
Crudité, raw ahi and yellow tail tuna, calamari
Braised short rib, fried mozzarella, creamy polenta
Fois gras ravioli, Farfalle with sweet breads, spaghetti a pomodoro
Black cod, baby goat
apricot-almond tart with amaretto gelato
coffee

Well, there’s only one way to describe this place: Oh God. The most fantastic pasta imaginable. Don’t do the tasting though. way too much food and not necessary. Eating off the menu here is very reasonable. This place is romantic, reasonable, superb food, and non-touristy. Only Manhattannites in here. Awesome place. Great service, great price, great food.

Thursday
lunch: Spice, $20
red curry, soup, wontons

A NYC chain that kind of sucks.

dinner: Gramercy Tavern, $330 (major comping)
Champagne, 3-course tasting + additional course with wine pairings
Amuse Bouche
Smoked trout and picked onion, warm crab and crepe
Guinea hen
duck, Sturgeon over leeks over parsnip puree
caramel-pear sundae with meringue, Ginger cake with cream cheese ice cream
coffee

Friday
breakfast: muffin from Gramercy, coffee from abracon (again), $5

lunch: El Cond____ (Venezuelan)
degustation, arepa with avacado, poscades with beef

dinner: Eleven Madison Park, $430
champagne, series of amuse bouche, 3-course tasting with pairings
Amuse bouche: 12 small items including a beet marshmallow
Amuse bouche #13: porcini veloute with a parmesan & black pepper brioche
Bread with goat milk’s butter
Goat’s Milk Ricotta Gnudi
Mushroom with egg
Lamb
Cochon de lait
Assorted Desserts
A host of assorted macaroons
A bottle of cognac (free!)

So this is by far the most incredible restaurant we’ve ever been to or could ever imagine going to. Beautiful dining room with soaring art deco ceilings. Perfect service—not stuffy, but friendly and perfect in every way. The food was impeccable, and insanely interesting. We were there for 4 hours, 30 minutes and enjoyed every second. We met Daniel Humm, toured the kitchen, sat in the after-dinner lounge and drank free cognac, etc. If you want a dinner you will never ever top, go here.

Saturday:
brunch: way too full to eat anything

Other places worth checking out:
Lunch at Jean Georges: Very reasonable prices and all of the famous menu items are available. Just make reservations for the formal dining room so you get the full experience (lunch (2 courses) with wine pairings and dessert for $120 total).

Katz’s deli

Bar room at the Modern: next to the MOMA and very cool/excellent food. If you eat in the main dining room (not the Bar Room) then you overlook the MOMA sculpture garden.

Pegu club: The best cocktail bar in NYC. Very discrete location, but very sophisticated, inventive, and fun. I would actually try to get here for sure… at least for a before dinner drink if nothing else.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Jay,

Thanks so much for chiming in and sharing your friend's list. :D Now I'm even more excited about Eleven Madison Park!

Eataly was already on our list along with the Greenmarket at Union Square to buy food stuffs. Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't heard of Russ & Daughters, but ironically Ryan Rogers recommended it to me yesterday- so it goes on the list too. :wink: :D

Deb
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Paintsville

by Corey A » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I see that you mentioned finding an amazing noodle place. You will find many adequate ramen shops in NYC, but Momofuku is no good (in my opinion). Believe it or not, the best ramen in the area is found at Mitsuwa market in Edgewater, NJ.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Just added these two places to my NYC list.

http://tertulianyc.com/

http://www.maslagrillade.com/
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 am

Corey A wrote: Believe it or not, the best ramen in the area is found at Mitsuwa market in Edgewater, NJ.

Is that the big Japanese mall just south of Fort Lee? We used to go there all the time when we lived in NYC in the early '90s. Loved loved loved that place!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:56 am

This by PM from Ryan Rogers- I'm posting it here for other's future use. :D

Thanks, Ryan!!

Cheap eats are my specialty

Vanessa's Dumpling House
118A Eldridge Street, New York NY 10002
Get the sesame pancake sandwiches (in the $2 price range), they have peking duck and a few others that are home runs. Always busy, great lunch.

Fried Dumpling‎
106 Mosco Street
New York, NY 10013
Best $1 dumplings in the city, order by the price, you get 4 or 5 for $1, can't remember. Add plenty of vinegar/soy sauce and sriracha and enjoy!

Mei Li Wah Bakery Inc
64 Bayard Street New York, NY 10013
(212) 966-7866
Old school chinese coffee/pork bun shop. Get the pork buns, like $0.80 a piece brown (baked) or white (steamed). Two are very filling. Also if they aren't sold out get an almond cookie, very good.

Joe's Shanghai
9 Pell Street
New York, New York 10013
The place to go for soup dumplings

Wo Hop Restaurant
17 Mott Street New York, 10013
(212) 566-3841
If you happen to be intoxicated at 2am and craving some old school americanized chinese this is the place to go, you'll be surrounded by hoards of people doing the same.

Baoguette Cafe
37 St. Mark's Pl
(between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave)
Good sloppy bahn mi's, more commercialized

Vietnam Bánh Mì Sổ 1
369 Broome St (btw Mott & Elizabeth)
212-219-8341
Great bahn mi's, $3-4, fresh squeezed juices

Saigon Bánh Mì
198 Grand St (btwn Mulberry and Mott)
212-941-1541
Decent Bahn Mi's, also a jewelry store

Mamoun's Falafel
119 MacDougal St
New York, NY 10012
Village staple, good falafel sandwiches, make sure to add hummus, the place across the street (ali baba) is better when they're on, but can be hit or miss. Make sure to get the hot sauce (better hot sauce at ali baba).

As for momofuku I'd definitely try to go at lunch, it really depends on what you're looking for food wise. Noodle bar is more street food/noodle house and saam bar is more upscale, composed plates.

As for specialty shops I'd definitely hit
Russ and Daughters
russanddaughters.com/Specializes in caviar, smoked fish, herring, bagels and elegant food gifts.
179 East Houston Street New York, NY 10002
(212) 475-4880

Also maybe
DOUGHNUT PLANT | New York City
379 Grand Street New York, NY 10002
(212) 505-3700

The PICKLE GUYS!
The Pickle Guys, the best sour pickles, new pickles, half-sour pickles, hot pickles, tomatoes, peppers, sauerkraut, mushrooms, giardiniera, olives, pepperoncini, ...
49 Essex St # B New York, NY 10002
(212) 656-9739
no avatar
User

Corey A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Paintsville

by Corey A » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:51 pm

Robin, that's the one. The grocery store is amazing with very high quality produce, seafood, and meats. The food court has quite a variety as far as dishes offered and quality, but Santouka (the ramen stand) is very, very good.

Robin Garr wrote:
Corey A wrote: Believe it or not, the best ramen in the area is found at Mitsuwa market in Edgewater, NJ.

Is that the big Japanese mall just south of Fort Lee? We used to go there all the time when we lived in NYC in the early '90s. Loved loved loved that place!
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Just got back from a 4 day trip to New York to visit some old friends, and thought I'd pass along our experiences. I'm way too tired and behind on work to provide any depth here, but at least I'm adding to the NYC list.

Thursday:
Ward III (Tribeca) (http://www.ward3tribeca.com/) - popped in for a pre-dinner drink around 6:00. It supposed to be a great cocktail bar, but the place was insanely crowded. We got service pretty fast, but our drinks were total fails. It's a cool space, and probably pretty good when not overrun with the post-work crowd, but we didn't enjoy.

Weather Up (Tribeca) (http://weatherupnyc.com/) - some googling found us this place as we still needed to kill an hour before dinner. We loved it - great bar food and decor, and excellent cocktails. Highly recommend.

Bouley (Tribeca) (http://www.davidbouley.com/bouley-main/) - outstanding, mind-blowing meal. A really, really special experience. Imaginative, yet simple dishes, a beautiful space, and flawless service.

Friday:
Burger and Barrel (SoHo) (http://www.burgerandbarrel.com/) - had a quick early lunch. Very good burgers (and other dishes) in a bistro-ish decor. Service was friendly - would recommend arriving early for lunch, as the place was overflowing by the time we finished.

Vu (Korea Town) (http://vunyc.com/) - a very pleasant surprise. We were told to meet at the bar at the La Quinta Inn, which had us a little worried, but this was a great, small rooftop bar on top of the hotel. Excellent views and inexpensive (for New York) drinks.

Del Posto (Meatpacking District) (http://www.delposto.com/home.htm) - this was the pick of a friend we were visiting. It's a collaboration of Lidia Bastianich, Joseph Bastianiach, and Mario Batali. It had all the usual suspects of a high-end New York spot; hard to get reservations, mandatory tasting menus, etc., but really was worth it. The food was outstanding and generous in portion size, service was helpful and unpretentious, and the space was quite impressive. It made for a great 3 hour meal catching up with old friends.

Saturday:
Maialino (Gramery Park) (http://www.maialinonyc.com/) - we popped in for a really good brunch. My pasta dish with maialino (suckling pig) was one of the better dishes I had all weekend. The location is great, with window seats offering views of Gramercy Park.

40/40 Club (close to Flatiron District) (http://the4040club.com/) - we needed a spot to watch the Final Four, and went here kind of as a joke (it's Jay Z's club). The place ended up being empty for the Louisville game, so we got a third floor seat overlooking the bar and some of the largest TV's I've ever seen. The food was okay and the drinks overpriced, but it was a fun experience. It started to get pretty loud and crowded for the second game, so we headed out.

The Jane (West Village) (http://www.thejanenyc.com/) - dropped in for a few drinks for a birthday party of a friend of a friend. Really cool bar and lounge, but I'd suggest going early as it gets pretty crazy after 11.

Sunday:
La Pizza & La Pasta at Eataly (5th Ave.) (http://www.eataly.com/la-pizza-and-pasta) - grabbed an early lunch before heading to the airport. Pretty good pizza and pasta, if a bit overpriced. Opens at 11, and the line to get in started forming around 10:30-10:45, so getting there early is a good idea. We browsed Eataly after lunch - glad we did it at the end of the trip when we had no money left, as I could have spent a fortune there.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
Previous