Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

What's cooking?

User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

Re: What's cooking?

by John Hagan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:11 am

Madeline M wrote:Steve P...where are you getting the Chicago Style Relish?

Lonnies in St Matts has it.
http://lonniesbesttasteofchicago.com/
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:48 pm

John Hagan wrote:
Madeline M wrote:Steve P...where are you getting the Chicago Style Relish?

Lonnies in St Matts has it.
http://lonniesbesttasteofchicago.com/

I ordered mine online (relatively expensive...won't do it again) before I found out that Lonnie's would sell it to you. BTW, I've looked ALL over and can't find poppy seed rolls.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Steve P wrote: BTW, I've looked ALL over and can't find poppy seed rolls.

I got some at Lonnie's about a year ago. They just wanted a few days notice so they could keep their inventory in check.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:02 pm

I found the online site...wowzers! We are going to Chicago in a few weeks to the Shedds so I may just stop by the factory and get it there. I can get poppy seed buns up here without issue, but only know of one place in town that does a real Chicago style dog and they do it well! Just the 45 minute drive and $20 in gas that gets me!

We are about to do our first butt of the season tomorrow :) Also, we have a cafe coming in that does nothing but sausages. All fresh, handmade in store. Have to say, Detroit may suck at a lot of food but they can do some fantastic sausages so I'm hoping this place is up to par!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm

My lovely Rebecca prepared an AWESOME homemade Lasagna using non-local ground beef, Italian sausage from a non-heritage breed pig and Kraft in-a-zip-lock-bag Mozzarella. We washed it down with some tasty but cheap Jacobs Creek Merlot (her) and a couple of bottles of really-really yummy Sierra Nevada Hoptimum Craft Beer (him)

Pasta1.jpg

Pasta2.jpg

Beer2.jpg
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:18 pm

...And this afternoon ? NASCAR, a few mass produced American Lagers and (Mmmmm-mm-m) Bacon wrapped Tater Tots and Jalapeno slices. S'what ah'm talkin bout Willis.

Tots2.jpg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Signs of early spring: Asparagus risotto. 

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Main dish veggies: Limas braised in olive oil and butter with onions, garlic and oregano. 

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Damn. It's gonna be tough...real tough to top Risotto...and Lima Beans...But I'll try. How about Cherry-wood smoked pulled pork and Baby Back Ribs with Five-bean Baked Beans, Broccoli Slaw -and- Classic Slaw, Smashed Cauliflower (recipe from Tupelo Honey's)...oh yeah and Pasta Salad. Washed down with 3 or 4 pints of Great Lakes Burning River.

BBQ Plate 1.jpg

Nikki BBQ 1.jpg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 am

Eggplant "steaks," pan-seared and oven-finished, with a mushroom and onion sauce. Goes great with Saint-Laurent 2010 Chinon La Vigne en Véron.

no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am

Robin, with all the vegetarian items you make I was wondering if you'd ever done much with fresh beets? Also what about beet greens? I picked up some beautiful yellows and purples over the weekend and planned on roasting them. I had no idea you could also eat the greens, are they good?

Steve P... Tupelo Honey Cafe is opening a location in downtown Knoxville this summer...a little closer drive.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am

Madeline M wrote:Robin, with all the vegetarian items you make I was wondering if you'd ever done much with fresh beets? Also what about beet greens? I picked up some beautiful yellows and purples over the weekend and planned on roasting them. I had no idea you could also eat the greens, are they good?

Madeline, I had the Inverno salad at Volare last week, and it's made with baby beet greens along with a few thin slices of fresh cooked beet and some grilled peppers and goat cheese ... it was really awesome with some kind of honey-balsamic vinaigrette. I haven't done a lot of beet cooking, but I like to roast 'em, which concentrates the flavor more than simmering. Mary is the greens queen, I wasn't brought up with 'em. but I'll ask her about beet greens. I know they're edible, and I think they're more tender like spinach than tough like collards or kale.

Here's a picture ... not a great one, it was dark, so the flash went off, which made the colors kind of harsh, but it gives the general idea. The salad was plated "deconstructed," as you can see, but I mixed it all together before I ate it. 8)

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:13 pm

You can't find -real- Bratwurst very far south of Chicago...This little homemade Brat-Burger comes pretty damn close. Two pounds of a 50/50 mix of ground pork and ground veal, three tablespoons of Penzy's Bratwurst seasoning, an extra "pinch" of nutmeg, ginger and white pepper on each burger and away ya go...Served here on a Multi-Grain Cibatta Roll with whole grain mustard, sauerkraut and homemade Beer Cheese...and homemade German Baked Potato Salad w/ Pancetta and some homemade Cole Slaw...Oh and "paired" with a frosty Great Lakes Burning River.

Brat Burger 1.jpg

Brat Burger 4.jpg
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:26 am

Steve P wrote:You can't find -real- Bratwurst very far south of Chicago...]

Nope..thats why you go north to Milwaukee..the real home of the brat. :wink:
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am

Steve P wrote:
Wondering what that little yellow flaccid looking thing is in the middle of the picture ??? It's kinda creapin' me out.

Grilled pepper
PreviousNext