Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Savannah next week

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Savannah next week

by Linda C » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Unfortunately a Monday night, where several places seem closed. Going to visit SCAD and staying in historic downtown district. Would like to walk maybe. Fish or southern, of course!
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Savannah next week

by Harold B » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 am

It has been a couple of years, but we had a great experience at Noble Fare. Firefly Cafe is great for casual sidewalk dining, if the weather is appropriate.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

We are taking a vacation during Spring Break to Hilton Head/ Savannah. Paula Deen's Lady and Son's (Down Home Southern)is close by, The Olympia Cafe (Greek) is very good. There is an excellent burger place called B&D burgers.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Here's a good thread from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7212&p=71858&hilit=savannah#p71581

I haven't been to Savannah in 2 or 3 years, but assuming the places I listed are still open, I stand by them.

Sorry to disagree with Rick, but I just cannot recommend Lady and Sons. It's not worth it, and it's not very good.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rick Boman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:Here's a good thread from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7212&p=71858&hilit=savannah#p71581

I haven't been to Savannah in 2 or 3 years, but assuming the places I listed are still open, I stand by them.

Sorry to disagree with Rick, but I just cannot recommend Lady and Sons. It's not worth it, and it's not very good.

Don't be sorry Brad,

I've been there twice before and both times it was excellent. It is pricey for southern fare, but it was very good. That being said, it is a tourist spot, and tends to be either jam packed or slow. Probably never just steady business. I went when it was slower, meaning better service and probably better food when it isn't slammed. I am going this year for the Easter Brunch, buffet only, my mother's idea, I have a feeling that after this next experience, i may be in Brad's camp. I will report back after I go.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:00 am

Dined at Paula Deen's "Lady & Sons" a few years ago during a visit to Savannah....their Sunday buffet was good, but with a suprisingly limited variety of items...very touristy.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Nancy Inman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:37 am

The Country

by Nancy Inman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:28 pm

It's been years, but I really enjoyed Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.
Nancy Inman
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Well hi y'all, thought I'd report back! We arrived late on Sunday and checked into the Best Western Plus (65 bucks/night on Hotwire) My review is on Tripadvisor. There appeared to be a group of vagrants having a drug deal or something outside our door, so we ordered from a local dive called JJ Bonerz. My nachos were excellent, but at 9:30, anything would be. We found out that Paula Deen and sons were going to be at the store Monday signing books, so we planned our day around that. Literally. We ate from the buffet at Lady and Sons and it's what I expected. The greens were delicious, as was the Mac and Cheese and stewed okra. We had a great waiter who told us statistics about the crowd, food etc. They use a ton of chicken per week! That afternoon, we bought Paula's Southern Bible and we met the famous trio. They were great- she wasn't phony at all, just sweet. She said she is seriously considering coming to the Derby this year.
We ate at the Moon River Brewing company for dinner. Though I just had a bowl of chili and the girls had veggie and real burgers , everything was great and the waiter made my daughter's night with his looks and charm. Their home brewed beer was GREAT and even better was I had "one to go" because it's legal there. I saw some crazy trolley that was powered by bicycles http://savannahslowride.com/ and they were wolfing down beer and having a blast.Only Savannah and New Orleans allow open containers of alcohol and it seems quite popular. I understand that they have lots of pedestrian/bike accidents as well. Hmm.
The next day, we took a 2 hour tour of SCAD which was great. We were starving by noon so we took a chance and pulled into Leoci's Trattoria- a tiny looking place. We almost ate outside- they had a really cool deck and covered area with gardens in the back. My daughter had a grilled vegetable Panini which she proclaimed as "best ever" and I had a half order of Lasagna which was truly one of the best ever. They made their own pasta, the layers of meat and cheese were so thin and perfectly balanced , it just melted in my mouth. GREAT find in a beautiful area.
I cant wait to go back to Savannah w/hubby. They said the whole city shuts down for St Patrick's day! Unfortunately, I won't be visiting my daughter there, as she has chosen to attend Ringling College of Art & Design in Sarasota. Oh well, more seafood and beautiful beaches, so glad she didn't choose Rhode Island!!
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rick Boman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for the review. My family and I are going to the area for Spring Break. Good info.