Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Opentable.com

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Opentable.com

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Is there a fee or any administrative nightmares involved in a restaurant being part of this service? Louisville has so few (compared to the total number) of restaurants involved. Do you request to be added? Do customers? Is it just so new tat it hasn't caught on here yet?
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Open Table

by Amy Hoover » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:37 pm

As a restaurant, you have to purchase the Open Table reservation system, which isn't exactly cheap. Then there is a small fee per reservation booked.

It isn't a complicated process but the installation is a bit of a pain if you don't already have an internet/data cable at your hostess stand.

I know it is convenient for the customer, but I think I honestly don't think it's money well spent, unless the restaurant just has plenty to blow. I think allowing reservations to be made from the restaurants website is a better idea.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 am

Thanks for the reply, Amy. The average diner doesn't know about these things and I appreciate the insight. Keeps me from putting my foot in my mouth just a wee bit longer than usual. :D
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:15 am

If i recall correctly, it runs a restaurant somewhere in the range of $3-5k in initial startup and setup fees... not to mention the cost per reservation, services fees, etc.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:28 am

I am going to add my two cents that if I am looking for a place to eat I go first to opentable to get a reservation. I know that I will have the table when I want and I get points that will allow me to get a free dinner in the future. It's a little bonus for me when I am supporting an upscale restaurant. I understand however, that most restaurants cannot afford this type of service.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 pm

I have used Open Table several times. It is handy for a night shifter like me who remembers I need to do things at 3:00 AM. I have been happy with the service, and I get points for using it. I did not realize the expense involved for the establishment, I hope it gives them a good return!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:15 pm

I've used it three times in the last three weeks... love it!
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Open Table

by Amy Hoover » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:39 pm

I agree. As a diner, it is a fantastic service. But as of now, so few people actually use it, so it tends to become a frivolous expense for the restaurant on a budget. If the purchase of the whole reservation system wasn't required it would be a better product. So many POS systems offer a reservation add on for a lot less money. It would be nice if it would interface with other systems. Maybe they'll find a way to do that in the future.