Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Guanciale?

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Guanciale?

by Deb Hall » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 pm

Trying to make a special pasta dish from our fave San Francisco restaurant (a16) for Valentines Day. Anybody know a place in town I can buy guanciale?

Thanks,
Deb
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Guanciale?

by Ken B » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 pm

I look any time I'm someplace I think might have it, no luck. You might call Whole Foods or Lotsa Pasta, I have not been in either for ages. Or, I would get the fattiest country ham and pieces I could find and use those.

I will be in Chicago early March. PM me if you want me to try and bring you some back, though I may not have time for shopping this trip.
The Wine Market
1200 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I've never seen it in Louisville, but assumed that Lotsa Pasta's pancetta is a reasonable approximation. Probably not. <sob>
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:43 am

Deb
The only place in the area(region?) is Goose the Market in Indianapolis. Located at 2503 N. Delaware St. Its made in house an is excellent but very expensive.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I can't believe that with as many recipes now that call for it, there's no one stocking it in Louisville. Sounds like a market opportunity for some enterprising person..... :wink:

Ken- Stupid question- Does it require refrigeration or is it shelf-stable like country ham? I assume the former. If so, I may seriously take you up on your offer. If it can handle no refrigeration for a while, I'm making that trip to NYC in mid-March and will add it to my list of what to buy while I'm at Eataly/ Green Market. :D

Recipe says you could also use pancetta, so Lotsa Pasta it is.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Deb Hall wrote:recipe says you could also use pancetta, so Lotsa Pasta it is.

Pancetta is belly, guanciale is jowl, but they're both streaky fat and lean and they're both Italian. :lol:

Whatcha making? Bucatini all'Amatriciana?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Wouldn't jowl bacon be a great substitute?
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:recipe says you could also use pancetta, so Lotsa Pasta it is.

Pancetta is belly, guanciale is jowl, but they're both streaky fat and lean and they're both Italian. :lol:

Whatcha making? Bucatini all'Amatriciana?

Exactly!! :D
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm

I believe guanciale is not cured or smoked in any way, so you may want to blanch it a bit first before using. On the other hand, what's wrong with a little smoke?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Whatcha making? Bucatini all'Amatriciana?

Exactly!! :D[/quote]
Pancetta will be fine, then. :)
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Ken- Stupid question- Does it require refrigeration or is it shelf-stable like country ham? I assume the former. If so, I may seriously take you up on your offer. If it can handle no refrigeration for a while, I'm making that trip to NYC in mid-March and will add it to my list of what to buy while I'm at Eataly/ Green Market. :D

It depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing. In Italy, you see most kinds of salumi hanging up in non-refrigerated market stalls, but then, that's also whole and not cut into, which shortens the shelf life of any cured meats (including country ham). It also depends on how dry the piece you have is, the drier the longer it will last, so end pieces can last a long time with or without refrigeration. I am bad and have no problem with stuff that's sat out for a while (I even feed it to my kids), but I would say that most guanciale is not salted nearly as much as any country ham, so definitely less shelf life, though still longer lived than most packaged meats from your chain groceries. But where will your market trip fall in your NYC visit? You can always throw it into the honor bar in your hotel, and it will be fine for a plane or even lengthy car ride home.
The Wine Market
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:54 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Wouldn't jowl bacon be a great substitute?

I have not found any jowl bacon that is not smoked down here. It exists in the US, but I haven't found it in Louisville. To me, substituting smoked pork products for salt cured doesn't always work, but I've had both carbonara and amatriciana with smoked pork of one kind or another that I still enjoyed. In fact, one of my wife and my favorite Italian spots in Chicago run by an FOB Italian family used smoked bacon in their amatriciana.
The Wine Market
User

Ken B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ken B » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 pm

GaryF wrote:I believe guanciale is not cured or smoked in any way, so you may want to blanch it a bit first before using. On the other hand, what's wrong with a little smoke?

Guanciale is definitely salt cured. I take it you are suggesting blanching smoked jowl bacon, right? Never thought of that, I may have to give it a shot.
The Wine Market
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Ken B wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Ken- Stupid question- Does it require refrigeration or is it shelf-stable like country ham? I assume the former. If so, I may seriously take you up on your offer. If it can handle no refrigeration for a while, I'm making that trip to NYC in mid-March and will add it to my list of what to buy while I'm at Eataly/ Green Market. :D

It depends on your tolerance for that sort of thing. In Italy, you see most kinds of salumi hanging up in non-refrigerated market stalls, but then, that's also whole and not cut into, which shortens the shelf life of any cured meats (including country ham). It also depends on how dry the piece you have is, the drier the longer it will last, so end pieces can last a long time with or without refrigeration. I am bad and have no problem with stuff that's sat out for a while (I even feed it to my kids), but I would say that most guanciale is not salted nearly as much as any country ham, so definitely less shelf life, though still longer lived than most packaged meats from your chain groceries. But where will your market trip fall in your NYC visit? You can always throw it into the honor bar in your hotel, and it will be fine for a plane or even lengthy car ride home.

Ken,

We will have a full kitchen as we usually do when we vacation- largely for storing all our food finds at markets. :wink:

I, like you, am very comfortable less refrigeration for cured meats/ cheeses/ etc than american standards. Sounds like the guanciale will be coming back on the plane with us, along with our other food finds. :D